Craig Firmware update now available

Rohn123

Mar 19, 2011
What is the official website from Craig. I tried www.craigelectronics.com but when i searched for information for the CMP738a, i was unable to find any on their website.

They just got it up a few days ago. However you might need to get the installer for it since they say it will auto update the image. It might but I had to get the firmware because was getting the acore error over and over so had to root....

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
I just downloaded the RAR, then pulled out the update.image place it on my microSD. The update message had popped up. Select install. Reboot and that's it!

mechanics200

Mar 30, 2011
They just got it up a few days ago. However you might need to get the installer for it since they say it will auto update the image. It might but I had to get the firmware because was getting the acore error over and over so had to root....

Where did you find the 2.2 update? The Craig website still shows firmware of 2.1.

techyted

Apr 1, 2011
Craig hasn't posted the 2.2 firmware yet (at least the last time I checked which was yesterday).

If you really need 2.2 now, Shad did release a "beta" Froyo 2.2. ROM for the Craig.
He wasn't able to develop it much, before his Craig flash memory died.
I've tried the beta ROM and most everything worked that I expected to work, but I was having some
trouble with browser crashing on the Google Android default web page and Market access was not quite right
(lots of standard apps weren't showing up for me). Airplane mode was little flaky too. That's all I found when I tried it.

Anyway, it was OK, but not as as good (IMHO) as Shad's Eclair 2.1 rooted ROMs.
The last version of Shad's rooted 2.1 ROM was 4.3 and that's what I've been running on a daily basis.
Very stable for me.

The link to the full description of all Shad's stuff is over on the XDA Developers site.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=967162&highlight=craig

(Google search on "XDA Craig CMP738a root" if the link I put in this post disappears.)

Last edited:

Debby 624

Apr 13, 2011
I downloaded 2.2 firmware to PC. But I have not downloaded to my CMP 738a 2.1 yet. Reading the instructions at the end it reads

IMPORTANT: Firmware update/reinstall will wipe out any software or information installed to unit after initial startup.

Will the preloaded software be gone to?
All of that will still be there Right? LOL

Or do you know of something better to use?
Now I'm reading some rom issues.

As you can see I am new at this and have no clue. LOL

Craig Electronics Inc.

This is the link I found for updated firmware.

All help welcome

Ding Berry

Apr 7, 2011
2.2 is nice! My screen is brighter. Get Zeam tho org.zeam.v2.8.8.apk. You can find most apps by doing a google search for the apk file. Can't use anything that requires rooting tho, like Screenshot :(

Edit: Went back to shad 4.3. It's faster.

Last edited:

Debby 624

Apr 13, 2011
I updated to 2.2 today. Your are 100% right. The screen is brighter and I think it runs faster.
I put the update on a micro card like Craig company said and it was a breeze. I was shocked.
Took maybe 5 minutes. Now if we could get a flash player so we came play some real games. LOL
I would be in heaven.

I do have a question. Does anyone know if we can use a USB Flash drive in the CMP 738a

techyted

Apr 1, 2011
Ding ... I think the 4.2 Rom is faster for me too.

Wonder if the JIT is turned off in this new version from Craig?

Ding Berry

Apr 7, 2011
Ding ... I think the 4.2 Rom is faster for me too.

Wonder if the JIT is turned off in this new version from Craig?

There are some other bugs. Notice the date is gone when you press Notifications. Things just move slow. Main prob with 2.1 is password handing. I usually have to log off stuff before I close or it will crash next time. I don' t like the extra hassle when connecting usb in 2.2.

Sent from my rk2818sdk using Android Tablet Forum

lafatlife

Sep 23, 2010
I agree, I went back to 4.2 as well. Not only was it faster but I couldn't get market to install and everything seemed choppy.

Apr 28, 2011
Hi everyone. I just joined the forum and bought or shall I say exchanged my Craig 4 times. I now have one that has a single possibly bad pixel but it's at the bottom of the screen and not a problem. The good news is the Froyo 2.2 loaded easily from the Craig site. I mainly wanted to surf the web, get emails, and have Nook for Android. I was able to go through another site and download sucessfully the Nook app and it works well. It syncs to my Barnes and Noble account and now I can have a poor man's version of the Nook Color. I also side loaded the Market App but it will not let me download apps. My advice is keep taking the unit back until you get one that works well enough. 2 of the ones I had would not retain the time or date when turned off. So, I will experiment with it and see how it holds up. I also wanted to thank the posters on this site for valuable information that helped me get this unit to work relatively well!