Cruz Reader a pretty good deal

Joe_Atlanta

Jan 2, 2011
Although it will probably be only a few months before mature, Google supported android tablets start to be affordable, when I saw the price of the Reader hit $99 at Best Buy I couldn't wait. Now, I've read the reviews (both pro and con) and was prepared to take it back if it was a bad as some folks said. Much to my surprise, I kind of like the little guy.

Although the interface is not super intuitive, reading TFM helps. After booting up and installing an external SDHC card, I logged on to my WIFI network without any problem. I then used the Astro file and application manager to shut down all the unnecessary aps and processes (basic tweaking I do on all my boxes).

I did some web surfing, using Google search set on mobile. Not too bad, but I wouldn't want do a lot of typing with the supplied software key board. Using the Cruz market I downloaded the Kindle ap and then some free books. Although not as clear as a Kindle, the books were definitely readable (trying out the Last of the Mohicans, pretty cool). I also installed the AndApStore ap which gives you acess to more aps than the Cruz market. As I have used the tablet I have gotten more used to the combination of easy swipes and hard taps necessary to navigate. On the web a stylus comes in handy.

One thing I hate about it is having the software navigation buttons so close to the address bar of the browser. I constantly find myself opening the address bar instead of going back or home. A new browser is next on the list.

All in all, a lot of fun and a handy device that works OK as long as you don't overload it with tasks or try to do something beyond it capabilities. I'll get around to rooting it and hopefully that will let me get to the full fledged marketplace.

-Joe

Joe_Atlanta

Jan 2, 2011
For the right price it's okay ;)
I guess it depends on your expectations. If you are looking for an E-reader with some benefits it's a good deal (read a book, play some mp3s, look something up on wikipedia). If you want the full blown tablet experience, it will disappoint in stock form. Rooting w/ a custom ROM, clearing out unnecessary aps, etc will improve it but for a tablet you still end up under powered with a resistive screen.
For me it's a fun and interesting tool to use while I wait for Android 3.0.