Cruz reader help! USB wont connect to Computer

Bsalvatore

Nov 28, 2010
I bought a Cruz reader today and I got it to connect to my computer once and then in the notification screen I accidentally hit something that said turn off usb or debug usb and now it will not connect and I can not figure out how to get it to connect again. Please help.

Carbira1

Aug 7, 2010
Just go back into the settings where you turned the USB debugging off and turn it back on.

Carbira1

Aug 7, 2010
According to this (retired roebeet version) Alternate WPDN firmware: Cruz Reader UI the only way to get USB debugging back is to do a hard reset which can be done by doing this "With the Reader powered off, press and hold the volume up button, then press and hold the power button at the same time. Keep holding both buttons, the screen will read CRUZ first, then the Android robot and software package icons will appear on the screen. You may now release the buttons and allow the process to complete. The unit should then load normally. You will need to reinstall all of your apps, but your internal micro SD files will remain unaffected, allowing you to reinstall and see your content." I got this from CRUZ READER SPECIFIC : HOWTO root the device. Note. YOU WILL LOOSE ALL INSTALLED APPS! Your SD Card will be unaffected.

Hopefully this helps

Carbira1

timwiggins

Nov 28, 2010
I tried holding the up volume and then holding the power button. It simply turns on and the main screen is displayed. I was trying to do the hard reset like you suggestion to this other person. My problem is that I cannot connect to my wi-fi. It says my router is "out of range" but it is in the same room. I have two laptops in the house that are connected with no problems (I am on one of them now). I don't know what else to do. I just bought this device today. At first I could connect but then when I tried to open the browers or the Borders store it would instantly disconnect.

Carbira1

Aug 7, 2010
I tried holding the up volume and then holding the power button. It simply turns on and the main screen is displayed. I was trying to do the hard reset like you suggestion to this other person. My problem is that I cannot connect to my wi-fi. It says my router is "out of range" but it is in the same room. I have two laptops in the house that are connected with no problems (I am on one of them now). I don't know what else to do. I just bought this device today. At first I could connect but then when I tried to open the browers or the Borders store it would instantly disconnect.

Sorry I don't have a clue. But this is not the place to ask that question. You should start a new thread.

RMskater

Jan 8, 2011
I only registered here, due to me fixing this issue, after 3 long days, and one mad lady friend. Hope it helps you guys as well.

The buttons you guys are holding is meant to reload the firmware. Continue reading...

I had connected it to my friend's MacBook Pro, and noticed the USB Debugging came on, so I turned it off (I don't like my friends having access to this kind of stuff, because they tend to mess things up when they have "root access", and I didn't realize that you needed it to have it show up on the computer :-|), and then exited the development options.
After that, the Cruz never showed up on the MacBook Pro when I connected it again.

What you must do is the following:

1) Visit the link here and download the first firmware.
You MUST keep it in the Archived (zip) format. (PD_INX7E_ENG_6410POP)
http://cruzsupport.velocitymicro.com/ics/support/DLList.asp?task=download&folderID=117055

This is the link to the support, but it may show up on a different page than the firmware download link:
Support Center >> Downloads >> Software >> Firmware

2) Get an SD card. I personally used an SDHC 16 gig, and blanked it out, but I don't think it matters.

3) Put the zipped firmware onto the root of the SDHC card.
In other words, open up your SD card, and place it directly on there.
Do NOT create new folders or anything. Just drag it on there.

3a) It MUST be in the original zipped format.
3b) It MUST have the correct name. Make sure the zipped file is "PD_INX7E_ENG_6410POP.zip".
The "zip" extension may not show up, if your computer does not show known extenstions.

4) FULLY power off your Cruz reader.
Make sure you hold the power button down, and then tap the Power Off/Down option.

5) Put the prepared SD card in your Cruz.

6) Hold the volume up key, then hold the power key. DO NOT LET GO.

7) You will see the CRUZ logo for a bit, then you'll finally see the Android guy next to a box.
When you see the progress bar, you may let go of the buttons.

8) The firmware is now being loaded.
Once it's all done, it will reboot and start up.
This is the equivalent of resetting your device to factory settings.

9) When you connect the device, do NOT disable USB Debugging, otherwise you will be forced to reload the firmware in order to access your reader through USB on your computer.

Annoyingly, there is NO way to get back into the development tools if you turn off USB debugging and then exit out of the screen (at least none that I've been able to pull up).
So do NOT turn off USB debugging.

And if your friends do, then push them out of the car on the highway. Or at least throw your cat at them. :p

Last edited:

j1109

Jan 16, 2011
I just registered here JUST to thank you for that information. I haven't gotten any replies from Velocity Cruz's website. I was about to return the thing, which is a pity because I really like it. Good thing I tried a search one more time. Now that I've done the steps according to RMskater, my "debug.." is back!

On a side note, if you don't have the convenience of sticking a SD card directly to your PC, you might be able to do it with the reader itself. Yea, I accidentally hit "turn off usb" or "debug something" before, but that was before I found an extra SD card lying around the house. So I stuck it in the Cruz and found that my PC will read this new SD card (and not my internal SD micro anymore). I used it as an external drive for transferring the mentioned firmware.

Maybe everyone knows this already (aside from me), but when you connect your Cruz and it says "USB Device Not Recognized." I went to the "Download" section of Cruz's site and downloaded "ADB USB Driver for Cruz ADB support", but I guess I don't know how to make the PC recognize the device. I mean, I've tried "Update Driver," but it doesn't do anything.

Well, in any case, at least one problem that plagued me for a month has been solved. I'm glad about that :).

Edit: I uninstalled the "Unknown Device" from the device manager. The computer has no more problems detecting the Cruz reader.

Last edited:

j1109

Jan 16, 2011
I'm not sure if I'm supposed to post this here, but seeing the title is, "Cruz reader help! USB wont connect to Computer," I thought this might be relevant.

There is a problem with the computer detecting the Cruz's internal and external sd card if you do one of the following:
- Restarting the device with an SD card in the external port.
- Sticking the external SD card in the Cruz when it is off, and then turning it on.

You will know that your computer will not detect the internal and external sd card if your reader's notifications reads "Removed SD Card SD card removed Insert a new one" right after you turn the device on. It's not a big problem. Just remove the external SD card (you can choose to "Unmount" in settings but you don't have to) and restart the device. Once restarted, there should not be any notification about a removed SD card. You may now insert the external SD card (or not) and tether to the computer.

thrax

Jan 10, 2012
Looks like I'm not the only one with usb issues. I've got a cruz reader r102. My computer recognizes that something is plugged in but cannot identify it. Also, there's supposed to be something listed in the 'notifications' pull down but there's never anything listed.Checked development tools but there's no usb debugging in there. Any ideas?