Custom Android Tab worth it?

armyjeffries

Feb 23, 2011
Hello all,

My uncle owns a computer shop and has taken on the task of building a kick-A tablet for a very reasonable price. He said he is getting them from his programmer in a week or two and then testing. Hopefully ready in a month. Anyway, I talked to the programmer directly and got lots of interesting tid-bits. Unfortunately, I really don't know much about tablets so I missed a lot of obvious questions when asking him.

Anyway, so far I've gotten:

Front and rear cameras 2mp up front, 5mp in back. GPS capable, 3G capable, wifi and blu tooth. Intel Atom Dual Core 2.2Ghz processor, with x86 architecture (?). It will run Honeycomb, and have full access to google marketplace. Working on the programming to run MS office. 10" resistive screen (I know, I know, resistive.) Anyway, all this for the projected price of $350.

I feel like this is going to be a very impressive tablet for less than half of ipad.

Do you guys (and gals) feel like this is a tablet worth the price tag of $350?

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
It sounds like a good tablet but the resestive screen better be amazing or else it won't matter

Sent from my incredible using Android Tablet Forum

hoben02

Nov 10, 2010
thats not a throwaway price. look the chinese zt-180 goes for less then $200 now and even though it doesn't look like it can be upgraded will you develop upgrades of the android os as new versions are coming out.

armyjeffries

Feb 23, 2011
thats not a throwaway price. look the chinese zt-180 goes for less then $200 now and even though it doesn't look like it can be upgraded will you develop upgrades of the android os as new versions are coming out.

I'm really not trying to promote this product (especially since it isn't available yet), AND I haven't looked at the tablet market until I saw that he was promoting this tablet, and realized that good tablets can be had for a reasonable price. I dont know what a zt-180 is (I will look at it after I post this), but I feel like I would like a product that I know where it came from and talk to the person that made it. I'm not sure about the OS upgrade question that you were asking, but I believe that the OS will be updated frequently. This is his 3rd iteration of tablet and the last ones ran 2.1 and 2.2 and now that 3.0 is out, this one is supposed to be running it.

Again, I am in no way trying to promote this product. So, while I am biased for this product, I am just looking for the best tablet for a decent price. I really don't have more than $300-$350 for one.

Any suggestions for such tablet, OR any suggestions I can relay to my uncle would be great.

BTW, I am still trying to find out what size drive his tablet will have. Whether it is a HDD or a SSD and what sizes.