Custom Clockwork Rooted Recovery for Augen Gentouch

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
(for old Gentouch 2.5mm)

Was just posted here: xda-developers - View Single Post - [Official] Augen Gentouch78 Rooting and Development [Working Android Market!]
also here:
http://teamtelechips.naobsd.org/experimental/

This is a must for firmware customization, and allows you to perform a full backup and restore for your device using a script called 'nandroid', common to almost all rooted Android devices today.

It also allows the flashing of custom update.zip files for ROM customization

Credits to TheDude: TheDude (TheDudesAndroid) on Twitter
It will be in Rom Manager later so users can get it easily, according to TheDude's twitter. I don't see a donate link up yet, but tweet him for one.

Info about Clockwork recovery and ROM Manager here:
My Brain Hurts: ROM Manager and Clockwork Recovery Image

For now,

You need to use the flash_image binary or fastboot (fastboot bootloader mode, using the command 'fastboot flash recovery recovery.img) to install this.

flash_image instructions:
If you put the recovery image on your SDcard root directory,
Code:
adb shell
flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img 
reboot recovery
fastboot instructions:
If you have the recovery image in your working directory
Code:
adb shell reboot oem-78
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

Xcountry

Jul 31, 2010
I got the recovery image flashed. I installed ROM manager and want to install clockwork recovery to do a backup. To install clockwork you need to pick a phone.

-or am I looking at this the wrong way! To get into recovery on my droid phone I have to either go through rom manager or power off and hold x to get into recovery. (Im sure you know this) So what is the method to get into recovery to do a back up with the GT?

Last edited:

gmpdmd

Aug 5, 2010
I got the recovery image flashed. I installed ROM manager and want to install clockwork recovery to do a backup. To install clockwork you need to pick a phone.

-or am I looking at this the wrong way! To get into recovery on my droid phone I have to either go through rom manager or power off and hold x to get into recovery. (Im sure you know this) So what is the method to get into recovery to do a back up with the GT?

Hold in the hard home button while powering up.
Hard buttons are back, select,up,down from left to right in recovery.
When you reboot...it will shut down.
Don't panic...just power back up.

Xcountry

Jul 31, 2010
Thanks for the help! I was driving home from work and realized what I was trying to do was allready done. When we flashed the clockwork image, we didnt need to update the clockwork through rom manager! Got it all now! Tell you what! This thing rocks once calibrated! Cant beat $150!

Thanks again!

mindwave

Jul 6, 2010
X,

I need your help here.

call me a bone head 1st, it will make you feel better.

I followed the instructions from the wiki, and am not seeing anything different.

however, and I apologize I can NOT remember where I got it, but I have 2 recovery images on my pc.

one is the clockwork that seems about 4 MB (does that sound right?), the 2nd is one just labled recovery.img that is 10MB.

Now again, I believe I did the clockwork properly, but if you could spell out some "simple like youre talking to a 3rd grader, step by step instructions" on those images, what they do and how to install/use them, I ould GREATLY appreciate it.

I think the augen is a great device, I wish I had another one, and I want to start wrking with them, but I'm just having some "simple" issues based on me.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

j

mindwave

Jul 6, 2010
X,

I had a dupe post.

But as long as I'm here, X, what pad are you using? You seem to have done a lot of research.

Thanks

J

Last edited:

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
I don't even have the Gentouch. I have the Rockchip Apad iRobot as in my signature. But I've been using Android devices for the last 8 months, so I can do research pretty easily.

The recovery image is like a secondary operating system you can boot into to perform maintenance tasks on your Android device. Most Android devices ship with such a recovery mode.

Standard tasks include:
1) flashing a 'update.zip', which is a specially put together packagethat updates your device files
2) wiping data

With a custom recovery, it enables users to create their own custom 'update.zip' package. This allows for the distribution of custom firmware bit or even entire ROMs. Another useful feature is the ability to create a full backup using what is called a nandroid script, which was created since the G1 days to help with system backups.

To boot into recovery, since I don't have one, I think you:
Hold in the hard home button while powering up.

Just redownload the file if you couldn't figure out which one it was. It's named clockworkrecovery-gentouch78-rc1

irish_iiii

Aug 13, 2010
I guess to add to the buttons option. I flashed the recovery image but reboot recovery either powered off or simply rebooted. Never got to the recovery menu. So, if you have this happen, holding the home button while powering up gets you to the menu. From there, the menu button moves down, the search button moves up and the home button selects. The backup button backs up to the previous menu. That all took a few minutes to figure out.

teknojnky

Aug 20, 2010
Hi.

I just got my gentouch and trying to get the recovery working so I can make a nandroid of the original apps and stuff.

I'm able to push and run flash_image successfully, but can't seem to boot into the recovery menu.

I've tried both adb shell reboot recovery, and power off + hold home button + power on, but all i get is a blank bright screen.

At various points, I did see the menu flash on the screen but it disappears before I can do anything.

Anyone else had this issue or know whats going on or how to fix?

Swould333

Aug 5, 2010
I got the white screen on a few endeavours dealing with the Gen... try just adb reboot instead of the adb reboot recovery.. since you have to manually reboot this thing.. and as you're turing it back on then do the power+home.. seemed to work when i had mine locked up.. lol

Last edited:

teknojnky

Aug 20, 2010
finally got it, had to let go of the home button when the little guy in the upper left corner comes on the screen.

if you hold down the home key too long it doesnt seem to work right