CWM Install Issues

2THEXTRM

Jan 4, 2012
Hi,

I have been struggling to get CWM installed on my rooted VTab. I have .adb drivers, Vizio drivers and SDK-tools installed on my windows xp pro PC. I can see my Vtab using the adb devices command and view logs, etc. but trying to push CWM file or even placing CWM file on my sd card directly is not working. I'm not right in front my PC at the moment but I believe the error was file wasn't found and I verified path/file name and command multiple times with no luck.

I have not had a big issue with the internal storage space yet using APPS2SD Pro for a majority of my apps so haven't changed the mount to use SD Card. Although the CWM instructions for the Vtab only note that make sure an SD card is installed but not that it must be mounted, I'm thinking maybe it is the issue, if so, I will have to try the mount point hack.

I want to get this thing backed up so I get start really playing around with the system files without worry.

After all my jawing, this may be a simple answer of, "you need to mount SD card!" lol​

2THEXTRM

Jan 4, 2012
Alright, thought I would get a quick bite on this lol.

Has anyone installed CWM WITHOUT doing the SD mount point mod?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I have been meaning to get around to this. So I just tried the easy way, installed ROM Manager from Market and tried to flash Recovery from Manager. It detected I had a VTab but said it is not supported. Then I was presented with an option "Have you manually installed recovery?" With a yes or no option. I clicked no anit told me sorry Manager can't install Recovery at this time.

I'm not sure what it would have tired to do if I chose yes.

2THEXTRM

Jan 4, 2012
I have been meaning to get around to this. So I just tried the easy way, installed ROM Manager from Market and tried to flash Recovery from Manager. It detected I had a VTab but said it is not supported. Then I was presented with an option "Have you manually installed recovery?" With a yes or no option. I clicked no anit told me sorry Manager can't install Recovery at this time.

I'm not sure what it would have tired to do if I chose yes.

I have ROM Manager installed also and got to the same point you did, chicken to do anything unproven that might brick without a backup file lol.

2THEXTRM

Jan 4, 2012
did you follow the instructions here?
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/vizio-tablets/27977-cwm-port-success.html

i had no issues installing it on 2 tabs. but i did do the sd mod 2 both first.

That is the guide I have been using, unable to push so I manually dropped a copy of CWM on SD Card root. The dd command fails to find file, it must be that I have to mount SD, really didn't want to since I am no where near low on storage but looks like I will have to anyway.

Have you had any issues with using SD card? Wondering if having system files on an external card slows everything down?

Thanks!

kaos420

Jan 27, 2012
Nope. Not a single issue. Runs fine

Sent from my Miui powered Evo 3D tapa tapa tapa

2THEXTRM

Jan 4, 2012
Well, after taking a step back for a week I went at installing CWM again. With a fresh perspective realized I was using an incorrect path for both push and install of script... crap! LOL. As listed in CWM instructions, I was using sdcard/ as path and I needed to use sdcard/external. A basic noob mistake lol. Good thing that came out of this is I have a Backup now AND found you DO NOT need to have mount point mod for CWM to function.

I am having a cold beer and forgetting the time I wasted on a 2 minute task:)

Thanks for everyones assistance here and PM!