Sd Card Mount Point modification discussion. Post-Root

Tcsviz77

Sep 3, 2011
Once this is done can the internal storage info be deleted to make more room since its all on the acctual external sd card

Sent from my VTAB1008 using Android Tablet Forum

marvin02

Aug 25, 2011
Once this is done can the internal storage info be deleted to make more room since its all on the acctual external sd card

Sent from my VTAB1008 using Android Tablet Forum

Once the mount points are modified and you verify everything is working you can delete all of the files from the internal storage and use it for something else.

I would make a backup of the contents - just in case.

rmleonard

Nov 18, 2011
Once the mount points are modified and you verify everything is working you can delete all of the files from the internal storage and use it for something else.

I would make a backup of the contents - just in case.

Can Someone post the init.rc file (and any other .rc files) from the root of the filesystem.
This should show how the SDCARD is mounted and what partitions are made at boot.

Just swapping the SDCARD internal with the external is a working short term solution, but going into the config file that calls the VOLD.FSTAB should also be looked at.

On my Pandigital Novel, early in the "hacking cycle" when alternate ROMS were being tossed about with near reckless abandon... every now and then one would show up that had swapped the internal with the external SDCARD - which messed up some stuff...

in theory, the "system" knows how to eject and remount the external card on the fly...
that behavior should be kept (IMO),
we want to add the behavior where the system "knows" that the EXTERNAL card is just that, and not the internal "USER" space
is this correct?

Rich

rprr

Oct 7, 2011
Can Someone post the init.rc file (and any other .rc files) from the root of the filesystem.
This should show how the SDCARD is mounted and what partitions are made at boot.

Just swapping the SDCARD internal with the external is a working short term solution, but going into the config file that calls the VOLD.FSTAB should also be looked at.

On my Pandigital Novel, early in the "hacking cycle" when alternate ROMS were being tossed about with near reckless abandon... every now and then one would show up that had swapped the internal with the external SDCARD - which messed up some stuff...

in theory, the "system" knows how to eject and remount the external card on the fly...
that behavior should be kept (IMO),
we want to add the behavior where the system "knows" that the EXTERNAL card is just that, and not the internal "USER" space
is this correct?

Rich

I think that this would require some ROM hacking. I believe that the init.rc file gets created on reboot. Let's wait for CWM recovery first.

Last edited:

vinogans

Nov 15, 2011
I think that this would require some ROM hacking. I believe that the init.rc file gets created on reboot. Let's wait for CWM recovery first.

Edit: init.rc is attached

init.rc refer that the system syn /mnt/internalstorage with /mnt/sdcard .... so if the sd card path is /mnt/sdcard ... it will be also /mnt/internalstorage ... u can chk it with astro file manager ... I think we need to edit syn and you are right init.rc get created on every boot ... easy way chk files details after reboot ...we need to edit syn ... and then edit vold.fstab

Jtpboy

Sep 19, 2011
First of all thanks alot! After much tinkering I got your solution to work.

What I'm now seeing is:

-Settings/ SD Card & Device Storage/
The option to Mount or Erase SD Card
Total and Available space are both 'unavailable'

-Internal storage
Total space is now 29.71GB
Available Space

-Application storage
Available space 487MB

Under manage applications I can move applications between device and sd card. As I moved my apps to the sd card Titanium showed sdcard free space decreased.

Titanium Backup shows this:
System ROM: 227MB (42.0 MB free)
Internal: 792MB (510MB free)
SD card: 31.9GB (24.5 GB free)

Does this look correct? Even though under Settings/ SD Card & Device Storage/ it looks like the device has the sdcard indentified as internal? I haven't tried to move apps with Titanium Backup because it looks like it recognizes memory usage differently than the system.

rprr

Oct 7, 2011
First of all thanks alot! After much tinkering I got your solution to work.

What I'm now seeing is:

-Settings/ SD Card & Device Storage/
The option to Mount or Erase SD Card
Total and Available space are both 'unavailable'

-Internal storage
Total space is now 29.71GB
Available Space

-Application storage
Available space 487MB

Under manage applications I can move applications between device and sd card. As I moved my apps to the sd card Titanium showed sdcard free space decreased.

Titanium Backup shows this:
System ROM: 227MB (42.0 MB free)
Internal: 792MB (510MB free)
SD card: 31.9GB (24.5 GB free)

Does this look correct? Even though under Settings/ SD Card & Device Storage/ it looks like the device has the sdcard indentified as internal? I haven't tried to move apps with Titanium Backup because it looks like it recognizes memory usage differently than the system.

Please do not erase/format the internal sdcard partition using the SDcard settings. It may contain an important boot setting.

marvin02

Aug 25, 2011
I have added warnings to the opening post of the thread.

If anyone thinks that there needs to be additional warnings added please let me know.

I also added a link to an image that shows the SD Card & Storage settings page after the mod. It includes some warnings, so please view it.

Also added are a zip file with my original fstab file and the modded one.

Be careful making mods to your device and I am not responsible if anything in this thread does harm.

Last edited:

marvin02

Aug 25, 2011
Jtpboy,

Please view the image I linked to in the opening post. (added 11/25/2011) It shows what the SD Card & Storage settings page looks like on my VTAB after the mod.

It sounds like your internal storage is not mounted at all. Compare your edited file with the one I attached to the opening post (added 11/25/2011) to see if it is correct.

Again - be careful making mods to your device and I am not responsible if anything in this thread does harm.

Zip of both the modded and original fstab files.

Last edited:

Jtpboy

Sep 19, 2011
I reviewed my edits to fstab and they are correct. My vtab is not mounting the internal partion as the sdcard for some reason.

I went ahead and modified a backup copy of fstab and copied it over the fstab file in /etc and I don't get the notification to 'safely remove sd card" and I don't have the option to mount it.

Other than that it seems to be functioning fine.

I did notice a vold.fstab.bak file was created in the etc folder when I first edited the file. I moved that out of /etc just in case with no change. I have attached current and .bak files.

Attachments

• $vold.fstab.zip
    720 bytes · Views: 374
  • $vold.fstab.bak.zip
    726 bytes · Views: 365
Last edited:

lzuckett

Nov 29, 2011
I wonder if you created a mountpoint for internal storage under /MNT directory instead of swapping the mountpoints for internal storage and the sdcard, if that would work. I would think because the mountpoint for internal storage is on the sdcard, you then have to go through the directory on the sdcard to access the internal storage i.e the access path would be longer and therefore the response be longer. If the mountpoint for internal storage was /mnt/internal then storage access would all reside on the device. I also noticed there are EXPORTs for these mountpoints and I wonder what the implications are if I swap the mountpoints and do not update the EXPORTs. Also going back and looking at directories, /mnt/internalstorage is symbolic link to /mnt/sdcard so if you want internalstorage to continue to point to device storage, then you need to change the symlink to point to the new internal storage mountpoint. So I wil be try changing the symlink to /mnt/internalstorage ---> /mnt/internal and updating the mountpoint for internalstorage to /mnt/internal and the sdcard to /mnt/sdcard.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2011
As a temporary solution could we use symbolic links?

Can we move a directory to the external SD card and make a symbolic link on the internal storage pointing to the external SD card? Any known issues with doing this.
Any one know what directory is used when we move software to the SD card?

marvin02

Aug 25, 2011
As a temporary solution could we use symbolic links?

Can we move a directory to the external SD card and make a symbolic link on the internal storage pointing to the external SD card? Any known issues with doing this.
Any one know what directory is used when we move software to the SD card?

Symbolic links do not work on VFAT partitions. Both the internal user storage and the external SD Card are VFAT.