Differences Between Amazon Market and Google Play

Music

Feb 5, 2011
I don't use the Amazon Marketplace to get my applications, but I'm sure that some of the users here do.

I would suppose the major difference is that Google manages your app installation records and purchases, so you can easily manage or restore your collection, and the Amazon market uses it's own "third-party" application to do all that, so it's not a native thing on your Android tablet.

What, if any, differences are there besides that?

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
There are fewer apps available. However, since Amazon has a vetting process (like the Apple App Store) malware is far less likely than on Google Play.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Most of the apps I own are from Amazon and I've been able to find just about everything I wanted there. Admittedly many are apps that were free as the http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/nook-color-apps-games/11344-free-amazon-app-day.html.

They have a "Your Apps and Devices" section linked to from the home page that allows you to manage Your Apps, Your Subscriptions, and Your Devices very nicely. You can easily archive or delete apps if you're running out of space and restore them any time you wish to. Also, any in-app purchases you make are tracked right there with the app itself.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
One caveat about Amazon: the apps phone home to check if they're tied to an account. If there is no response from Amazon's servers the apps are deactivated until an Internet connection is available. Not a major issue with phones because they have the phone's data plan to rely on, it's more of a problem for tablets without ready access to WiFi.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
I was under the impression that Google Play Store also vets its products.
And you'd be wrong. Apps added to Google Play appear in a matter of minutes. With Amazon it takes far longer. The vetting process is why some app developers no longer update their apps on Amazon.

Music

Feb 5, 2011
I had one or two applications that did their own self-validating every time you launch the app, but after feedback from the users, the developer made the validation permanent, after validation via WiFi just once.

PC application developers are different, however. Since the software is usually installed on a single desktop PC, and the PC stays pretty much in the same spot ( like your home or office), those developers have the software validate itself almost every time it runs.

Last edited:

edap

Dec 12, 2012

Music

Feb 5, 2011
They will do anything to get you hooked on their stuff...

Music

Feb 5, 2011
Apps added to Google Play appear in a matter of minutes. With Amazon it takes far longer. The vetting process is why some app developers no longer update their apps on Amazon.
That's why it's imperative that you contact the developer directly if there is a bug or problem, or a question regarding the application. Leaving comments or development requests in feedback doesn't help the app get better because lots of devs don't check the online comments. Submitting some appropriate feedback does make an app popular or unpopular, and the worse apps will eventually go away.

edap

Dec 12, 2012
Don't waste your time on lazy, unresponsive programmers. Tap the uninstall button and leave a comment behind for others to think about. After all, users are also an important part of the equation. They should be informed and do their due diligence before tapping the install button. And, in that respect, any and all feedback from former and current users is essential.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Angry Birds Star Wars II was the free app yesterday, and about a dozen apps were offered for free yesterday only as a Christmas promotion. I grabbed the Angry Birds app as well as the astronomy-related apps in the Christmas promotion. I now have my $5 credit, which only lasts until 3/31/2014. So while you have a little time before it goes away, I would wait until after New Year's Day to spend it.