Dim Screen Ascend Envizen V917G

FmUsa

Jan 24, 2014
Well after 13 months of use my tablet quit working, as it goes, one month past the warranty. So I'm SOL on that, I called Ascend and that's basically what they said.
___ SITUATION:
Left the tablet connected to the PC overnight for charging then in AM found the tablet with a dim screen. No programs were running on the PC at the time. LAN was connected to the Internet. I tried tapping the screen and rebooting, same dim screen. Brightness button was set to 50% and never changed.
___ PROBLEM:
Rebooting the Tablet theirs no start up screen, no sounds not even a possible click or flash, just a dimly lit screen. Plug in the charging cable, no battery charge indication, just the dim screen.
___ MY ATTEMPTS:
(Following was done on battery, USB cable and AC adapter for charging)
* Pin in the Reset hole, done several times both Tablet on and off. Nothing, just goes to dim screen.
* Several times, pressed and held 3 buttons for BIOS screen, dim screen. I've done this in the past to see what it does but changed nothing.
* For giggles, USB cable port to PC, no recognition of tablet.
* Did the shake test for loose parts then the "Tech-Tap" in all 10 directions. Nut'n, same issue.
* Cabled out the tablets HDMI to a monitor. Booted, nut'n. (RATS! was hoping)
Before this happened, Ascend sent a replacement battery, was slowly loosing it's charge and would take 2 days to fully charge the battery. After this dim screen problem, I installed the new battery thinking maybe it was inefficient power to run the tablet. Nope, same issue.
My current repair attempt is asking anyone here if they have an idea to what's wrong before I use the MDT. (Master Despair Tool, sledge hammer)

.. .. .. HELP.. .. if possible.
THANKS!

Last edited:

FmUsa

Jan 24, 2014
Anyone?
Ideas?
MAYBE someone has one to sell? Has to be inexpensive.

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Not sure you are going to get a response unless it's to use the sledge hammer, or send it in for repair. It sounds like it's either a dead screen or a bad circuit despite lack of a rattle.

TinderboxUK

May 28, 2012
If you have never rooted or flashed your tab, and have done a factory reset, and you still have an dim screen, the only thing that can be wrong is the screen is faulty, but as the table is only $100 new, see if you can buy a faulty one off, ebay and replace the screen yourself, but i would not spend a lot of money on repairing it, use it in bed at night instead or is it too dark even for that.

Sorry to be blunt.

John.

FmUsa

Jan 24, 2014
If you have never rooted or flashed your tab, and have done a factory reset, and you still have an dim screen, the only thing that can be wrong is the screen is faulty, but as the table is only $100 new, see if you can buy a faulty one off, ebay and replace the screen yourself, but i would not spend a lot of money on repairing it, use it in bed at night instead or is it too dark even for that.
Sorry to be blunt.
John.
Blunt? No problem at all John, it's something to go on.
I have looked on the Net for a used one but these are scarce.
Dim means, nothing shows at all, just an even dull glow.

Looks like I have an external battery power source for a cellphone, etc..

Thanks for the response, I was beginning to wonder if this site was alive.
FM