Disable Peel Remote App on LG G Pad F 7.0 Tablet?

Clueless in Seattle

Jul 6, 2018
I have a new-to-me hand-me-down LG G Pad F 7.0 Tablet that was given to me by a BBS acquaintance.

It's my first tablet and I'm an old guy well behind the technological curve so I don't a clue how this gadget works. The guy who gave it to me is busy with his own life and has made it clear that I'm on my own figuring out how to work this gadget.

The tablet still has a number of apps installed by the previous owner . One of them is called Peel Remote, and it constantly interrupts what I'm trying to do on the tablet by showing me random travel pictures and cute kittens, clickbait links, advertisements, etc.

I went to settings>apps and found 3 options: Force stop, Uninstall updates or Disable.

When I tap on Disable I get a warning that seems intended to scare me off from disabling it:

"If you disable a built-in app, other apps may misbehave. Your data will also be deleted."

In spite of this warning I tapped "Yes" and got this message:

"The application will be replaced with the factory version."

I have no idea what the "factory version" is, and in any event, I don't wish to "replace" it, I want to "disable" it.

I'd be grateful if someone could explain to me what "the factory version" means, and what might happen if I click "OK"

Will in Seattle
a.k.a. "Clueless"

PitCarver

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 9, 2014
Factory version just means that it's what was installed without updates. Unless you root your tablet, you can't uninstall it, but with it disabled you won't get any more of the annoying pop-ups.

PitCarver

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 9, 2014
BTW,
Hopefully, the previous owner cleared out his device before he gave it to you. Even a new tablet has a lot of junk that you may be able to disable.

Clueless in Seattle

Jul 6, 2018
Factory version just means that it's what was installed without updates. Unless you root your tablet, you can't uninstall it, but with it disabled you won't get any more of the annoying pop-ups.

Done! That's one down, and who knows how many to go.

Clueless in Seattle

Jul 6, 2018
BTW,
Hopefully, the previous owner cleared out his device before he gave it to you. Even a new tablet has a lot of junk that you may be able to disable.

I don't think he did all that much housecleaning before giving me the tablet. I kept wondering why it kept logging me into his web site under his name. Turns out he left his Google account on the tablet. So I deleted that. I suspect there'll be a few other things that I'll stumble upon that I'll want to toss out. I'd like to pare it down to the bare necessities before I start adding any apps of my own.

Clueless in Seattle

Jul 6, 2018
I tried to find a translation of your tag line: "acutis quae sunt acuti deditus." But the only one that I could find was on Google translate: "they are addicted sharp pointy."

I thought "that can't be right." But then that quote took me to your profile on iknifecollector.com and so the Google translation was sort of in the ballpark after all, but it still seemed like it could stand a bit of sharpening up. Could you share your translation with me?

PitCarver

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 9, 2014
Loosely translated it's supposed to read "Addicted to sharp pointy things"

Well it's good that you didn't clear the tablet prior to deleting his account. Too many stories of useless second hand tablets that were locked by the previous owner.