Do any of them have a capacitive touch screen?

Big_Jim

Mar 16, 2011
The only reason I ask is I cant see it advertised but their product descriptions are not the best in the world.

On a similar note, do any of the smaller devices (2.3, 3.2, 4.3) have an SD slot? Again they might be there but I cant see them in the pics and they arent advertised well.

My Home 7 had diddly squat for features, but at a hundred bucks I didnt expect much. Just wish Archos was more forthcoming with their data.

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
The only reason I ask is I cant see it advertised but their product descriptions are not the best in the world.

On a similar note, do any of the smaller devices (2.3, 3.2, 4.3) have an SD slot? Again they might be there but I cant see them in the pics and they arent advertised well.

My Home 7 had diddly squat for features, but at a hundred bucks I didnt expect much. Just wish Archos was more forthcoming with their data.

All of the GEN8 are capacitive. My sympathies about your purchase of the Gen 7 A7. If you had visited this site or done a bit of research, you would see strong recommendations against the First release of the A7. The Gen7.5 A7 V2 with Eclair for the Android core over Cupcake is better, but it is still missing needed features.
The Tech specs for the A28, A32, A43 and the A70 can be found here. You get USB host, but no Micro-SD until 43 series.
ARCHOS
ARCHOS
ARCHOS
ARCHOS

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
The 28, 32, and 43 are not capacitive. Are those classified as GEN8?

Yes, Any device which is served by the same FW. are all Gen8. The .AOS on a 101 is the same file used on the 28. The difference is they drop function if not there.
Archos has clear Generations and some half step generation products.
Archos 5IMT and Archos 7 (Non-Android) are Gen 6

Archos 5 and 7 are both considered Gen7. Even though the V1 of the A7 runs only Cupcake (1.5) and the A5 runs Donut (1.6)
Some consider the A7 V2 a Gen 7.5 as it is running Eclair. This would be the only A7 I would consider. And owning a V1 I can speak from experience

Archos 28,32,43,70 and 101 are Gen8.

Arnova is not really Gen8 nor is it a Gen 9. They give a generation number by major update/upgrade series. The A7 V2 got both a new chip and OS. thus the half step. The Archovas are more of a E-Book/Android. These are closer to Gen 7.5 than Gen 8

Gen 9 is still speculation, but what is known is it will be a similar form factor to the Gen 8 series with Dual Core, increased storage and RAM. These will be designed to run Honeycomb. Gen8 can run Honeycomb, but doubtful a factory update will ever be provided.

Last edited:

Big_Jim

Mar 16, 2011
Too late!

I already went ahead and ordered the 500GB. Should be here this afternoon if UPS doesnt lie.
Didnt find those tech sheet pages before, thanks for showing me. I was looking at their basic MP3 players for a while then got to thinking about how I would sync my whole music collection and finally I just decided I needed a huge hard drive.
I think 500GB is larger than anything else out there except a laptop with 640 or so.

Spec

Jun 22, 2011
I have the 3.2, the 4.3 and the 7.0. Only the 7.0 and the 101 are capacitive. The 4.3 and above have micro SD card slots, the 2.8 and 3.2 memory is internal only and accessible by USB. I can also tell you the screen on the 4.3 is pretty poor, the 3.2 screen is better in terms of touch sensitivity for some reason. The screen on the 7.0 is great. If you can deal with the bigger, non-pocketable size of the 7.0, I'd recommend that.

It's too bad that Archos does not offer the 4.3 with a capacitive screen like the 7.0, because that would be perfect.

We are a specific use Android developer and we are searching for a reasonably priced 4.3 unit with a capacitive screen in case anyone has any recommendations.