Does Galaxy Tab have Built-In WiFi Hotspot Capability?

vferrari

Dec 4, 2010
Galaxy Tab has Froyo which has WiFi capability natively built into the OS. Do any of the Galaxy Tab variants (Sprint, Verizon, AT&T etc.) have Hotspot as an option in the wireless settings menu (I recognize the carriers may have it disabled unless you purchase the feature as an option) but just wanted to know if it was built into the setting menu in the first place? Thanks.

vferrari

Dec 4, 2010
Thanks. Managed to play with one (Verizon) in a store and it indeed has the capability to share the 3G data connection by using the Tab as a WiFi hot spot.

vferrari

Dec 4, 2010
Thanks for the confirmation - do you have Sprint or Verizon or other? I was only able to verify on the Verizon Tab they had at the store, the Sprint Tab was not powered and that is the carrier that I want to go with. Thanks.

Edit Update: Was finally able to play with a working Sprint Galaxy in store. Unlike the Verizon unit, no option to set up the Tab as a WiFi hotspot for sharing of its 3G conncection though there is an option for tethering via USB (did not see this on the Verizon).

Edit Update #2: Yeah, found the app that allows WiFi hotspot on the Sprint Galaxy. Not sure why they used an app vs. putting it in the Setup menu like most phones/tabs.

Last edited:

wagadesa

Jan 15, 2011
Thanks for the confirmation - do you have Sprint or Verizon or other? I was only able to verify on the Verizon Tab they had at the store, the Sprint Tab was not powered and that is the carrier that I want to go with. Thanks.

Edit Update: Was finally able to play with a working Sprint Galaxy in store. Unlike the Verizon unit, no option to set up the Tab as a WiFi hotspot for sharing of its 3G conncection though there is an option for tethering via USB (did not see this on the Verizon).

Check again. All versions of the Tab has the capability to setup WIFI Hotspots.

Sent from my SGH-T849 using Tapatalk

Jan 12, 2011
TMobile tab has the hotspot ability. But a laptop running windows 7 could not send requests through it. However, it could see the WAP and connect to it.

wagadesa

Jan 15, 2011
FWIW I get fairly decent speeds ~1000kbps when connecting my win-xp laptop to my T-Mobile Tab. I can surf the entire web HTTP and HTTPS. Even view flash content there appears to be no limit on what can be accessed.

Sent from my SGH-T849 using Tapatalk