Don't Update Your Nook

CLSmith

Jan 14, 2011
So, if I've already sideloaded the update, will it try to download the OTA upgrade again?

Sent from my NookColor using Android Tablet Forum

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
So, if I've already sideloaded the update, will it try to download the OTA upgrade again?

Sent from my NookColor using Android Tablet Forum

Nope, once it is on there it won't try an OTA update.

AnimaTechnica

Nov 4, 2010
Coincidentally a new firmware update was released for the kindle fire that disables root as well

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

sjbenes

Dec 7, 2011
That's just not nice. They're really making it difficult to like them :(. I really wasn't planning on rooting it, the ability to sideload apps seemed like a really nice compromise.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
By the way, don't panic, there are already solutions provided by the developers on XDA including a roll back of the B&N software so you don't have to worry if you do get the update. Your Nook Tablet will still be fine.

JP

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
including a roll back of the B&N software so you don't have to worry if you do get the update

That's really good news, I'm assuming all new Nook Tablets will arrive with the update already done, or would update while you're charging it before ever using it.:cool:

bmben

Dec 21, 2011
Total noob question. I rooted my Nook a few days ago and installed google apps and a custom loader. Will the update erase those? or make them inoperable? By sideloading, are you referring just to apks? or media as well.

Thanks for being here.

bmben

Dec 21, 2011
actually, I just found this on XDA:

Note from Developer: If you install gapps at any point this was released, you have FOTA kill which prevents the install and checkin of OTAs which means you shouldnt get updated to 1.4.1 (theoretically but I have yet to be proven wrong) So, enjoy root and sideloading!

I haven't seen the update, so maybe this is true. Woot! Toot! Root!