Ematic HD eGlide XL Pro II 10" w/ICS 4.0 1GHz Tablet

TGamel

Apr 1, 2011
I have had several tablets in the past as you can see by my signature and really wanted a newer updated tablet. I have had both 7" and 8" tablets and really the 7" I think is more ergonomic than the 8" square Vizio tablet which I bought for my wife. Not wanting to spend a wad of cash I went to the old standby, Walmart (wife works there and we get 10% employee discount). Decided I wanted ICS 4.0, so that narrowed down my options. After reading and reviewing customer comments I narrowed it down to two choices 1) Ematic HD eGlide XL Pro II 10" w/ICS 4.0 1GHz Tablet (no Android Market, aka Google Play), or 2) DoPo 7" T708 w/ICS 4.0 (aka Double Power T708). I decided to go with the Ematic as there were several comments that indicated that adding the "Android Market" was a really simple installation. In fact, it was and took less than 15 minutes without having to root the tablet. So while I have only had this tablet for 3 days have been pleased with it so far.

Now granted neither of these tablets come with "Google Play" (the old Android Market). Now some comments on the Walmart site say the DoPo T708 comes with "Google Play", Double Powers website only lists the "Amazon App Store" for this tablet not "Google Play." So given the two choices, I opted for the Ematic 10" tablet. Now according to the box, the tablet is a 1GHz multi-core processor, and it seems to be as fast or faster than my wife's Vizio VTAB 1008. It came with 4GB of internal storage and I dropped a 32Gb microSD card in the slot for a total of 35Gb of storage, plus 5Gb cloud storage. The capacitive screen is fast an responsive and looks nice. Unlike many cheaper tablets the WiFi antenna is strong and It picks up my wireless router with no problems even when I am in the opposite end of the house. The unit's signal strength appears to be far superior than my wife's Vizio tablet with a stronger antenna. It logged onto my wireless router seamlessly, all I had to do was enter my password and I was on the internet. Battery life seems to be about 6 hours reading books or listening to music, quite a bit less if streaming video or watching movies, however it charges quickly.

Pros:
1) Strong WiFi Antenna with good signal strength.
2) Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0
3) Feels sturdy and well built.
4) Capacitive touch screen smooth and responsive.
5) Added Android Market in less than 15 minutes without having to root (see post on this forum on installing Android Market).
6) Only cost $159.00

Cons:
1) Android Market (Google Play) not factory installed (see pros).
2) Cheap 'Pin' style charger.
3) No bluetooth (not really a con for me as I do not wish to pay ATT to tether my tablet to my phone).

That's just my quick run down on this tablet so far. As I use it more and learn more about it, I will post my findings. Realize that I am not a Android tablet aficionado, or hacker, just a computer geek who wants to share his knowledge and experiences with those who are interested.

Todd

Last edited:

TGamel

Apr 1, 2011
One of the primary things I did not like about this tablet when I first got it was the cheap, small "pin" style charger. However, a good thing about this tablet is that you can charge it via the USB port from either your computer or a wall mounted charger that has a USB connection. Fortunately for me I have an extra 5V USB wall charger and have been using this exclusively to charge my tablet since I picked it up from Walmart last week. Not sure if charging via the 5V USB is as quick as the 5V 'pin' style charger, but it does charge both when the tablet is in use and when it is turned off. Some cheaper tablets will only charge through the USB cable when the device is powered down.

Todd

sjudd

Feb 25, 2013
I have the same tablet ... and I really like it, and what I've been able to do with it ... just the other day, it seems that both the pin, and usb charger won't work. I knew the pin was going out, and started to use the usb only ... but neither work now. I can't seem to get through any live help from the ematic site, as I am still under warranty 'til July ... any tips to revive it?
Have a better way to contact them?