[eMMC ROM] CM7 Development Release (03-11-2011) (now with Bluetooth!)

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
CM7 Has finally hit the level where it is receiving nightly attention and updates, so I figured it was time to make it's way over here. Please please read everything very carefully. This is not just a simple ROM to be flashed with CWR like other options. The steps to install this are still in the moderate to advanced range and precautions should be taken when trying anything mentioned in this thread.

Now without further ado...

[USER] CM7 General Discussion thread - xda-developers
dalingrin said:
QUICK FAQ - 2/27/11

Q: WHAT IS THIS?

A developer port of Cyanogenmod 7 for the encore device, which has been in development for about two months starting in early January and has only recently been deemed good enough for a wider range of developers to use.​

Q: WHERE TO GET NEWS ON PROGRESS?

I will tweet progress from time to time.
Twitter: @dalingrin

We are usually in #nookie on freenode.

You can always check the Cyanogen git@ http://github.com/cyanogenmod

Q: WHAT WORKS AND WHAT DOESN'T?

As of this writing, most things do work-- touchscreen, wifi, sound, accelerometer, etc. Reported issues include some problems with the market and a few 3rd party applications as well as hardware video acceleration ("DSP"). These are all being worked on.​

Q: How do report a bug I find?

PLEASE post logs to pastebin.com and include them in your report.
To grab android logs you can run "adb logcat -d > log.txt"
This will output the log to the log.txt file and can then be posted on www.pastebin.com

Kernel logs can be had by running "adb shell dmeg > dmesg.txt"
This will output the dmesg log to dmesg.txt for easy posting on www.pastebin.com

Use this template to post a bug in this thread:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Which build are you running? Please mention any customizations:
App or process having the problem:

Steps to reproduce the problem:

Describe the issue as well as you can:

Relevant logs(logcat, dmesg)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Q: WHO PORTED THIS?

Cyanogenmod itself is the creation of thousands of developers.

A vast team from around the world including members of Team Douche as well as unaffiliated individual developers have been collaborating for about two months on this port. Additional contributions continue to come from around the Internet. You are invited to help by contributing YOUR fixes.​

Q: WILL CM7 RUN OFF OF AN SD CARD? OR DOES IT USE THE INTERNAL STORAGE OF MY DEVICE?

The nightly builds are intended to run entirely off the internal storage device. Should you decide to install one of those .zip files, you should expect to overwrite whatever was installed in those partitions.

It is critical to understand that CM7 is development software that may cause serious issues, loss of data, and/or other problems with your device and to your life in general. By loading and/or running the software, you must understand and accept full responsibility for your actions and all consequences and agree to adhere to the varied licenses and terms and conditions that comprise the software.

Q: IS THERE AN SD-ONLY "BOOTABLE" VERSION?

Not from the nighty builds. However-- should someone want to create such a bootable SD-- (warning: Slightly technical answer:) all it would take to create one is a new uRamdisk file with the partitions in init.encore.rc pointing to the correct partitions on the SD card.​

Q: I AM AWARE OF THE RISKS AND ACCEPT RESPONSIBILITY FOR WHATEVER RESULTS. WHERE DO I GET THIS?

Cyanogenmod 7 for encore is available as a nightly build. See the XDA dev thread for download and development discussion:​

Q: WHAT IS "ENCORE" ANYWAY?

Cyanogenmod has a fun little convention to name ports after the device's original project name.​

Q: WHERE IS THE SOURCE?

On Github.com.​

Q: I'M A "TECCHY" PERSON-- WHAT KERNEL DOES THIS USE?

A somewhat-modified version of the "stock" 2.6.29 source provided by Barnes & Noble (in accordance with the GPL). Changes to this kernel include a fix for a temperature bug, a fix to a cache race-condition resulting in kernel panics, ext4 support, and support for large block devices, among other things.

A port to 2.6.32 is currently underway that may facilitate improved "deeper" sleep as well as bluetooth support.​

Q: IS THE KERNEL OVERCLOCKED?

Just like the original stock kernel, the CM7 kernel runs at 800Mhz. Cyanogenmod has a policy to not include overclocked (or at least voltage modified) kernels. Dalingrin has a 1.1 Ghz OC'd kernel that may work for you. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=925451

Use entirely at your own risk.​

Q: WHAT ARE THESE OTHER VERSIONS OF CM7-BASED ROMS?

Because CM7 is open-source software, people are free to modify it as they wish and re-release, provided they are compliant with the terms of the original licenses. The CM7 developers have nothing to do with these derivative releases, which may or may not be of decent quality.
Q: WHEN WILL THE FINAL VERSION BE RELEASED?

When it's ready. Please do not ask this, as it is considered the mark of a newb. In the meanwhile, nightlies are rolling out every evening with the improvements from that day, not only to the encore port in particular, but to Cyanogenmod in general.​

I currently am running the second nightly release and enjoying it. It has it's issues, but so far so good. I have a diary of my initial install in the thread about setting up a new bootable CWR SD that is needed in order to flash the CM7 releases here: http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...e-bootable-clockwork-sd-card-0-1-cm7-rom.html

I will update as new information or releases become available.

Update 2/20/11
Please watch here for nightly releases: CyanogenMod Mirror Network - Powered by TDRevolution
Get overclock kernels for Froyo/CM7 here: [Kernel][Eclair][Froyo][CM7][Honeycomb] Dalingrin's OC kernel [3/11/11] - xda-developers

Update 2/21/11
Cyanogen Forums - Nook Color (aka Encore) get's its own forum: Barnes & Noble Nook Color - CyanogenMod Forum

Update */*/11
I missed a few... sorry

Update 3/11/11
Dalingrin released a bluetooth enabled update between the nightlies. I recommend anyone wanting to play with it to try to the SD version until nightly 16 is released. But for the daredevils out there, check out the above links for a new BT enable oc kernel to go along with the special bt_cm7

Update 3/13/11
As of nightly 17, BT has been officially incorporated into CM7. As of nightly 18 there is also a new OC kernel to go along with everything.

Last edited:

newellj79

Jan 4, 2011
I'm so excited about this! I trying to hold off for a couple days before trying it, we'll see. I ran cyanogen on my G1 but it's been a long time. Do the nightly updates automatically install every evening, or is it a more lengthy process like flashing a new rom?

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
Well, that's a tough question...

The nightly updates are full install versions of the ROM with the latests tweeks included. Once you have the system up and running, all you have to do with a nightly is put the zip on your SD, boot into CWR, install the zip, reboot. No wiping, formatting, etc. needed. However, it is commonly believed that wiping /cache is good form when installing a zip ROM.

If you have the paid version of ROM Manager, then you should be able to find the updated nightly and have it copied to your SD from within the app, then just reboot to recovery, install, reboot to joy.

As of right now, it's not this simple, because CM7 requires CWR v3.0.0.6 which is part of the bootable SD ext4 that I've listed. The ROM currently includes CWR v3.0.0.5 which won't flash properly and causes some issues. So as of this morning, you have to use the special bootable SD with v3.0.0.6 to do any installing and flashing. Which is easy for me, I have a couple cards so I just swap them back and forth. If you only have one SD card, then you have to back it up, flash it new, install, reformat, recover sd backup to it every time you want to update CM7. They are working on integrating the new CWR (v3.0.0.6) into the ROM so this isn't an issue anymore. I will update when it is that easy though.

Nate Rules

Jan 14, 2011
I'm still running the rom from two nights ago. I love this, I just learned something new typing this, it lets you move an arrow around to move the curser. Anyway, do you need to reload apps when you flash the new update.

newellj79

Jan 4, 2011
I do have two cards so that wouldn't be a problem. Im really close to taking the leap. Im tying to hold off for the market and video fixes though. Any new info in that?

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
I'm still running the rom from two nights ago. I love this, I just learned something new typing this, it lets you move an arrow around to move the curser. Anyway, do you need to reload apps when you flash the new update.

Yea, you can now place your cursor, and you can long press for options like copy/paste.

No, when you flash an update (nightly) you just install the zip without any formatting, so all your apps and data are still there. It just writes updated files to the /system partition.

I do have two cards so that wouldn't be a problem. Im really close to taking the leap. Im tying to hold off for the market and video fixes though. Any new info in that?

Do a complete and solid backup, and understand how to use it... then go for it.

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
Updated first post with nightly link and overclock kernel link.

newellj79

Jan 4, 2011
Im running nightly v3 oc'd at 1.1ghz. Still waiting for video, YouTube, and market to be fully functional but I'm going to hang in there. I thought I had seen a post with some setting tweaks (animations and stuff) over at xda that would improve performance but I can't seem to find it now. I was wondering if anybody has some recommendations?

Edit... just noticed that it doesn't support live wallpaper. Can anyone else confirm?

Last edited:

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
updated first post - Nook Color (aka Encore) has it's own section at Cyanogenmod finally. :)

Nate Rules

Jan 14, 2011
Just played with v3 for a while and it is definitely improved. The Zeam launcher showed up in the market, that's cool. I am using a live wallpaper and haven't had any problem with that. Can't get youtube to work and one of my favorite games won't open. Those are the only problems that I see so far. Also, I haven't got the movie player to work but Rock player works just fine. But seriously if you are waiting to get this, it's time. I really like this rom.

Feb 1, 2011
Well, that's a tough question...

The nightly updates are full install versions of the ROM with the latests tweeks included. Once you have the system up and running, all you have to do with a nightly is put the zip on your SD, boot into CWR, install the zip, reboot. No wiping, formatting, etc. needed. However, it is commonly believed that wiping /cache is good form when installing a zip ROM.

If you have the paid version of ROM Manager, then you should be able to find the updated nightly and have it copied to your SD from within the app, then just reboot to recovery, install, reboot to joy.

As of right now, it's not this simple, because CM7 requires CWR v3.0.0.6 which is part of the bootable SD ext4 that I've listed. The ROM currently includes CWR v3.0.0.5 which won't flash properly and causes some issues. So as of this morning, you have to use the special bootable SD with v3.0.0.6 to do any installing and flashing. Which is easy for me, I have a couple cards so I just swap them back and forth. If you only have one SD card, then you have to back it up, flash it new, install, reformat, recover sd backup to it every time you want to update CM7. They are working on integrating the new CWR (v3.0.0.6) into the ROM so this isn't an issue anymore. I will update when it is that easy though.

There is now a flashable CWR you can use. That way no more sd card swap. Thanks to Xawen on XDA forums---http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=959240&page=18

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
Thanks, i've posted a very thorough how to set of instructions at XDA, waiting on some smarter folks feedback and will bring it over here. And yes, there is Xawens .zip that makes flashing updates easier.

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
OK, I think my efforts for a complete install instructions are getting spread so I am going to post them here and try to redirect all my other mentions of them back to here. So here you go:

In an effort to completely document the "Going to CM7 and Coming Back from CM7" experience for myself and my fellow rooters, I have compiled the following diary of install. Please let me know if there are missing steps or extraneous steps that can be removed. Remember please that I am trying to COMPLETELY document the process (at least as much as pertains directly to CM7) and the audience is for everyone, even real noobs who you know will be trying this and crying about some dumb mistake. Thanks for your feedback.

Before beginning:
1. Booted into Recovery
2. Created new nand backup
3. Removed and stored MAIN sd

Using a new and different sd:
1. created 4gb CWR_ext4_0.1 bootable SD [Followed process here: ][RECOVERY] EXT4 Compatible Bootable Clockwork SD Card 0.1 (+ tasty treats) - xda-developers
2. moved flashable zip of CM7 to SD [edit: now using latest nightly found here: ]CyanogenMod Mirror Network - Powered by TDRevolution
3. moved latest gapps to SD [Found here: Latest Version/Google Apps - CyanogenMod Wiki
4. moved latest Froyo/CM7 overclock kernel to SD [Found here: ][Kernel][Eclair][Froyo][CM7][Honeycomb] Dalingrin's OC kernel [2/18/11] - xda-developers
4. insert into NC

Installing
1. boot with bootable sd (CWR_ext4_0.1 - ClockworkMod Recovery v3.0.0.6)
2. 'mounts and storage' --> format /system ; /data ; /cache
3. back to main menu
4. 'install zip from sdcard' --> 'choose zip from sdcard' --> select "latest_CM7_nightly.zip"
5. 'install zip from sdcard' --> 'choose zip from sdcard' --> select "gapps-gb-20110120-signed.zip"
6. 'install zip from sdcard' --> 'choose zip from sdcard' --> select "update-1100mhz-froyo_CM7-emmc-cwm.zip" [if desired]
7. 'mounts and storage' --> unmount sdcard --> remove sdcard
8. reboot

First Boot
1. (got chills seeing that little cm7 droid boot animation)
2. @ Welcome to NookColor --> waited full 5 minutes for system to settle (?)
3. tapped Droid to begin setup
4. waited for Notification Bar to show WiFi available --> dragged down to open
5. Selected my router and logged in
6. Used built in 'Back Button' in top right of notification bar to go back to setup
7. @ Set up your Google Account --> signed in
8. @ Market Apps Installer - IMPORTANT: Read This! --> OK
9. @ Choose the apps to install --> preference i guess (gmail and google search were already installed - I added YouTube) --> ok
10. above took me to YouTube install screeen from market, seleceted Install then OK
11. @ Use Google Location --> i uncheck both since it's not a phone --> Next
12. @ Back up data --> i uncheck again --> Next
13. "Your Google Account is now linked to this phone" --> Finish setup
14. now to set time prefferences --> personal preference here (set time zone and current time will adjust) --> Next
15. WOOT! CM7 Home Screen!
16. Open Apps --> Settings --> CyanogenMod Settings --> Lockscreen --> Style Options --> Lockscreen style --> change to Sliding Tab (this is because the Rotary wheel isn't sized right yet and is real hard to use currently)
17. back @ Settings --> Applications --> check allow for Unknown Sources
18. open Market --> downloaded Titanium Backup
19. Ran batch restore to replace missing user apps
20. Open and tested each user app (some worked, some didn't - but it's early)

First Backup
1. Power off NC
2. boot with bootable sd (CWR_ext4_0.1 - ClockworkMod Recovery v3.0.0.6)
3. 'backup and restore' --> 'Backup' (this creates nand backup to the SD card of the installed system)
4. 'mounts and storage' --> unmount sdcard --> remove sdcard
5. reboot

First Nightly Update
1. Download latest nightly (CyanogenMod Mirror Network - Powered by TDRevolution)
2. Place new file onto the bootable ext4 SD
3. boot with bootable sd (CWR_ext4_0.1 - ClockworkMod Recovery v3.0.0.6)
4. 'install zip from sdcard' --> 'choose zip from sdcard' --> select "latest_nightly.zip"
5. 'install zip from sdcard' --> 'choose zip from sdcard' --> select "update-1100mhz-froyo_CM7-emmc-cwm.zip" [if needed, at this time the nightly will restore original clock speed]
8. reboot

Restoring a nand backup of CM7
1. Power off NC
2. boot with bootable sd (CWR_ext4_0.1 - ClockworkMod Recovery v3.0.0.6)
3. 'backup and restore' --> 'Restore' (select the backup you wish to restore - usually one with most recent date)
4. 'mounts and storage' --> unmount sdcard --> remove sdcard
5. reboot

Reverting back to any other AOSP
**This requires having a seperate SD card or overwriting the image of the ext4 card
**All files needed are available as part of the
** "Monster RootPack/Clockwork Recovery 3.0.0.5 SD" [][RECOVERY] Monster RootPack 0.7 / Clockwork Recovery 3.0.0.5 SD (1.1 Compatible!) - xda-developers
** "Nook Color Restore to Stock" [][RECOVERY][ZIP] Nook Color Restore to stock - xda-developers
**You will need the following files:
** CWR-removal.zip (both threads have a CWR removal file or two, take your pick)
** repartition-boot-with-stock.zip
** your most recent NON-CM7 nand backup -OR- your preferred stock recovery .zip
1. Power off NC
2. boot with bootable sd (original_CWR - ClockworkMod Recovery v3.0.0.5) [one made using the Monster RootPack thread]
3. 'mounts and storage' --> format /system ; /data ; /cache (this is for good measure)
3. back to main menu
4. 'install zip from sdcard' --> 'choose zip from sdcard' --> select "CWR-removal.zip"
5. 'install zip from sdcard' --> 'choose zip from sdcard' --> select "repartition-boot-with-stock.zip"
** If restoring to a nand backup, skip to step 9
6. 'install zip from sdcard' --> 'choose zip from sdcard' --> select "nook-complete-restore-1.0.x.zip"
8. reboot (you should boot to stock and unrooted)(AND DONT DO STEPS 9-11) [you can now re-root with autonooter instructions]
** Only complete these steps if restoring a nand backup and NOT restoring to stock
9. 'backup and restore' --> 'Restore' (select the backup you wish to restore - usually one with most recent date)
10. 'mounts and storage' --> unmount sdcard --> remove sdcard
11. reboot (you should be back to a working version, rooted and full of joy)

LocalStain

Feb 10, 2011
Greeting Faceman and thank you again for an excellent How-To. I thought this [RECOVERY] EXT4 Compatible Bootable Clockwork SD Card 0.1 (+ tasty treats) - Page 19 - xda-developers #188 (I don't know how to link to specific post) might be a good addition to your guide. I can confirm that it works. CWR reads as 3.0.0.5 in the app but when you reboot into recovery it is 3.0.0.6 and will effectively back up, restore, and allow install of nightlies from within the app. It's pretty slick.

A few tips as I know if you haven't done this you will. I had to install CWR from within the app as you would normally. Then reboot into recovery and install this xda-developers - View Single Post - [RECOVERY] EXT4 Compatible Bootable Clockwork SD Card 0.1 (+ tasty treats) reboot and you are good to go...If this was posted already and I missed it then sorry.

Thanks again for all the great info. My NC has been a joy/adventure/delight in large part thanks to your guides and patience.

Cheers Patron
340x%20%281%29.jpg