[NEWS] It's about to get real interesting! - CM7 dev has working bluetooth!

caulktel

Jan 21, 2011
I would say no antenna if they are only getting 13 inches, we will see though, it may be a matter of turning up power level in software.

BoloMKXXVIII

Jul 27, 2010
I would say no antenna if they are only getting 13 inches, we will see though, it may be a matter of turning up power level in software.

If there is no antenna turning up the power may not be a good idea. You could burn out the chip and lose both blutooth and wifi.

lschroeder

Dec 6, 2010
@faceman Probably a good idea to have a more direct thread about this.
Looking forward to your install and notes to help the rest of (it would be nice if one of the sets of instructions assume emmc Clockworkmod 3.0.1.0 and Rom Manager 3.0.1.2 on our current ROM).

For this we will probably have to wait for the nightly to incorporate it.

I just had time to do more reading. It looks like it is img file that can be burned to sd card and run from there. I will try installing that shortly. I know how that works.

A keyboard and audio CM7 ROM available for bluetooth now at xda

[ROM] CM7 SD Bootable, w/ experimental BT working. - xda-developers

Got it yo work!!! Music on my bluetooth head phones!!!

lschroeder

Dec 6, 2010
Now for what I did? It loads just like you run any ROM from sd card. I used Win32DiskImager to write extracted image to class 4 4gb sandisk. I just had it overwrite my HoneyComb sd ROM. Did not reformat. The write takes a while. Take sd card out of pc and place in nook. Reboot and it will now from the sd card no mathers what on the emmc. Then after you let it sit. I moved some music over with my mac to emmc My Files. It mounted 3 nook drives (partitions and drives). Disconnected using proper procedures.

Tried to do below. Was not able to a restarted the nook
go to settings -> wireless & networks
make sure that bluetooth is enabled and then you can explore and pair devices in "bluetooth settings" there.

Left Nook scan for bluetooth while holding power button on bluetooth headset. Lauched music program found my album and started playing songs through bluetooth headset.

Will try my friend's bluetooth keyboard tommorrow. Update #3: apple bt did not work, will look into. It rebooted after the connection. This is common problem although same keyboard worked for others. I think there maybe a fix over at xda.

The following is for making sd card a full working system. You do not need to do this to test BlueTooth.

"Install the gapps (like market) over adb. It is kind of a PITA and you need to be comfortable doing terminal commands. Basically what I'm saying...its very hard to put it in simple terms" quote from person doing HoneyComb on sd card. We have to use same procedure for installing gapps (like market) CM7 on sd card. Very complex. Will go into the details here later.

For me I first had to get adb to work. That is thread by itself. Had to find usb drivers that would work on Windows 7. Then had to go into safe mode and uninstall drivers that did not work with adb and install the ones that did work. I will assume here that you have adb installed and the command adb devices finds your Nook Color.
Update #3: An alternative
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/nook/10400-problem-adb-cm7-msd.html#post60992

More later. I did get the gapps (like market) to install and work on sd card ROM.
Update #3: Found the most current gapps for cm7. Drop uncompressed files in the adb.exe directory. Followed instructions at nookdevs.com. Install specific OC kernel for cm7 sdcard. More details on this to follow.

Extended 4 the partition and used adb to have Android recognize it.

Install lots of apps from market. Dolphin mini, SetCpu, Flash 10.1, Market enabler, Rock...Lite Video player, ES File Exploxer, Titanium Backup and more. Set Dolphin min Agent to Desktop. Flash works great in mini.

Backup with Titanium Backup. Remove card and used original window program, Win32DiskImager, that write image to read image and write to windows 7 hard drive. Experimented with moving files between Android, mac, and pc. More later.

Well be updating this so bare with me. First it works good from 13" and in from my sony bluetooth head phones.

P.S. See post 20 below for thread over at xda. I am working with people in that thread to get things working. Warning: It is not a straight faceman tutorial, but without it I would be lost. I will try to fill in the details. The easier procedure would be to use the nightly emmc version. There is a procedure for adding latest nightly to the sd card version. I just have not figured it out yet.

Larry

Last edited:

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
@faceman Probably a good idea to have a more direct thread about this.
Looking forward to your install and notes to help the rest of (it would be nice if one of the sets of instructions assume emmc Clockworkmod 3.0.1.0 and Rom Manager 3.0.1.2 on our current ROM).

For this we will probably have to wait for the nightly to incorporate it.

I just had time to do more reading. It looks like it is img file that can be burned to sd card and run from there. I will try installing that shortly. I know how that works.

A keyboard and audio CM7 ROM available for bluetooth now at xda

[ROM] CM7 SD Bootable, w/ experimental BT working. - xda-developers

Cool.

Got it yo work!!! Music on my bluetooth head phones!!!

Even cooler. :)

kabbie1882

Feb 24, 2011
Doesn't the Wifi "chip" and the bluetooth "chip" both use the same antenna ????

I just read a discussion about it a few days ago but can not remember where.
I do know that they were talking about a torn down Nook Color.

brad0383

Feb 23, 2011

Did you not read my last post about no antenna and an open collector circuit? Go with more power and you will know what "use are your own risk" means. I don't mean to sound like a jerk, but software guys have no respect for hardware!

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
Everyone needs to chill... the bt and wifi are on a combined chip, and are using a shared antenna (afik).

The ranges being talked about differ from one device to the next, and I was just able to setup my Wii Remote and tested well over 20ft away from my NC. I don't think that would be possible if there were NO antenna for the BT.

Regardless, this is a very cool development... now if we can only get DSP and hardware video working. :) But at least I can play games while I wait!