Excited and nervous about getting my NC!

jonesygirl

Feb 9, 2011
Hi all! Just joined the forum after days of reading and researching and learning. I'm 99% sure that I've decided to go with the NC, based on the great things I've read on here, and other sites and videos that I've looked at. I had looked at some "cheap" tablets, knowing I wanted to spend under $300. When I learned of the NC's capabilities for only $249, I was blown away! Going to B&N later this morning for some hands-on with the device. I called and confirmed they have them in stock, so I may come home with it today!

Now comes the nervous part- Root! I have a HTC smartphone running Android, and tried unsuccessfully to root it. A large part of the problem was my concern of ruining the phone forever with no turning back. After over an hour of trying, I got stuck on one step and then gave up completely.

Based on what you all say is possible with a rooted NC, it's ideal. The problem is ME getting it to THAT status. I'm not very confident with the process, even though I've read many posts and watched many videos explaining the steps to take. I did the same thing when trying to root my phone and got nowhere.

So, how likely is it that a "factory reset" will get me back to exactly how it is when first purchased? How likely is it that I'll "brick" the NC? And my other question is, has anyone used the SD cards that supposedly have Android 2.2 pre-loaded? Ebay has a few for $30-40 and state that they do not change any of the system files. Put the SD card in to run 2.2, take it out to run stock. No experience needed. Seems too good to be true.

Sorry for the long post. And, if there's anyone in PA that has rooted their NC, hit me up. I'd rather pay to get this done right, than to waste $250 and ruin my NC.

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
Welcome jonesygirl. I would say take the plunge, but then again, I am bias. I love my Nook.

The absolute hardest part of rooting the Nook actually doesn't even involve the nook. The hardest part is getting the auto-nooter image onto your sd card...and let me tell you, if you can follow step by step instructions, you will have a rooted nook is no time. Not to mention that you have the greatest nook community right here to support you, answer your questions and make sure you get it done right.

A factory reset is truly that. It will turn it back into a zero update, just outta the box, NookColor. The Nook is incredibly hard to brick...especially if you follow the ground work that has been ahead of you.

My personal opinion is I wouldn't waste my money on the ebay SD cards. Android 2.2 is not stable on the nook yet, not as a 'daily driver'. Besides, when you have mastered your fear of rooting, you will find it is no more difficult to make a bootable SD card with the 2.2 on it. (You know what they say about something too good to be true)

Those cards are created for the masses that won't even take the initiative to find a place like this...you are obviously not part of the masses.

markiej

Dec 22, 2010
+ 1 on above. I've read very very few stories of people "destroying" their NC. And I have never read of anyone who caused irreversible damage to their NC from using the baseline "autonooter" procedure. Never ever ever.

That's probably one of the real treats of this device is how pretty much anything you do to it, you are able to un-do.

Abb0nz

Dec 31, 2010
Hi jonesygirl, welcome to the forum.

When I got my NC I was a complete novice in regard to Android and I certainly didn't know what "rooting" was. But after coming here and having a read the end result was a rooted NC for me. :) The support from everyone has been brilliant. I did make a small mistake which had me worried but the team here got me sorted in no time.
So I say go for it, it'll be worth it.

Sent from my Nook Color

jonesygirl

Feb 9, 2011
Thank-you all for replying. Really made me smile and boosted my confidence that I can do this. I will forget about those ebay cards, and try the root myself. First I will review everything again and make sure I have plenty of time so I don't rush. Thank-you all again :)

Sent from my sdk using Android Tablet Forum App

avi

Staff member
Jan 27, 2011
Yes, don't hurry. Take your own time and then when you feel confident, get it :)

jonesygirl

Feb 9, 2011
Thanks avi. Heading out to b&n right now!

dangerousdee

Jan 19, 2011
No matter what jonesygirl, you will have a really nice ebook reader. My first attempt to root my NC was a fail and I reset it back to stock. All I did was watch those videos on Youtube. Now they are a little outdated since the newest Autonooter is far superior and easy. The only prob I had was trying the first time to root with a Class 2 SD card and a squirrely Winimage program on my Windows 7 machine. I went and got a new card that was a class 6 and waited awhile till I had enough free time away from cats and the husband to give it a new try. To get around the uncooperative WinImage program I downloaded an alternate Win32diskimager and it worked alright. Then following the directions here and there and popped that sd card into my Nook and voila it restarted and it was a great install. The rest is a learning curve on how to figure out what you want on you NC Droided out. I am not bothering with Overclocking or anything exotic. I like it the way it is. Though there are a few apps each person finds convienent. I found that an Appkiller program like Advanced task Killer is handy when your memory is bogging down. And I liked Astro file manager too, both recommended by forum members here. These folks are great. Read thru things a couple times, watch a few videos on how too. And go for it!

jonesygirl

Feb 9, 2011
Thanks Dee. I need to buy the SD card still. Probably should have got one while I was out, lol. Overclock- if I understand correctly, just makes the system move faster? Or is there more to it?

jonesygirl

Feb 9, 2011
I got it today. Haven't played with it yet. I slept while it charged (I work nights). But now I'm awake, fully charged and ready to explore!

Jan

Feb 7, 2011
Welcome! Just wanted to tell you I just rooted my color nook a week ago and love it! Still deciding on how to proceed with the CWR and then re-rooting to the new upgrade. I just want to take it one step at a time. I've been reading the posts and learning alot from everyone here.
Good luck!

jonesygirl

Feb 9, 2011
Thanks Jan!
I just set up and registered my NC. I noticed that it still has version 1.0.0 so I guess I need to update that now. I think the BN guy told me it would update automatically once connected to WiFi, but BN.com implies that I need to do it manually via my pc.
So that's my next step, right? Update to newest version and then I can still root?