Excited, flood of Acer tablets, hoping for a good price

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 15, 2009
I'm pretty pumped at Acer's recent announcement of the three tablets. That's 3 tablets, all in good sizes and hopefully at good price points.

Who else is excited?

calixt0

Nov 11, 2010
I am excited. I want a tablet so bad I can taste it. I don't want one that has only an hour or two of battery life, want one that has good product support but also want one that will break apples ipad to pieces (I hate apple) with an affordable price. The HP Slate and the samsung tab are both nice but too pricey. I'm really hoping that Acer is once again my company.

LS650

Nov 11, 2010
A friend of mine was asking what Android tablet she should buy - she has seen me using my Gpad G10 and really likes it. I've cautioned her that unless buyers are really tech-savvy, they should wait for tablets to come from major brand name sellers so that there is decent service and support.

Rrok007

Nov 21, 2010
Has Acer really improved? I've been out of hardware for sometime now. I rememberback when Acer really wasn't a recommended name. They were the brand name cheap. Course, that was back when Gateway (old employer) was a good name to buy. Now I hear they aren't very recommended.

Rrok007

Nov 21, 2010
Yeah, well aware of that. At one point, gateway owned Amiga... whatever happened to Amiga... I'm surprised it didn't move to tablets... I would think it would be a perfect fit.

jmlivingston

Nov 17, 2010
Has Acer really improved? I've been out of hardware for sometime now. I rememberback when Acer really wasn't a recommended name. They were the brand name cheap. Course, that was back when Gateway (old employer) was a good name to buy. Now I hear they aren't very recommended.

Gateway has always seemed to be a roller-coaster in regards to quality. They'll run real strong for a while, quality will drop, then the fix the production problems and it gets good again. Disclaimer: I too am a former Gateway employee, and was laid off from their Irvine office (IT Dept) shortly after the Acer deal closed. The acquisition was a good thing IMHO and I was okay with being laid off as I ended up someplace 100x better. The 4 or so years I was there, the PC's were pretty good but they were generally made of off-the-shelf parts, not surprising at all to open up a case and see an Intel motherboard, Hynix memory, and an NVidia or ATI video card. What the customers were really getting was a system that had an extensive QA process for component and driver compatibility.

I would happily consider a Gateway branded tablet if they offer one up.

Rrok007

Nov 21, 2010
I worked there from 98-01 in their Hampton, VA facility as tech support. Yeah, roller coaster I suppose is one way to say it.

Davethesnake

Dec 8, 2010
our old freind asus has got a model coming out next year or sooner and you cant beat a 2 year collect and return within 7 days warranty-it would be good if they hung on to their "re-install factory settings" idea.

Lesnar

Mar 8, 2011
One of my friend is asking for which Tablet is more better then all...
So I thought to ask it here as I know that you guys will help me more with better justifications about the best tablet...

Candlestick

Mar 30, 2011
Yeah 1280x800 is the best resolution I have seen so far, especially on a 7inch, that will be awesome!

[Update] LIVE: Acer Announces Two High-Powered Android Tablets, A Smartphone | Android Phone Fans

the 7" version has a " 7-inch 16:10 multi-touch screen (1024 x 600 resolution) " per Amazon product description.

I"m pretty excited - but perturbed. I was about to snatch a Nook Color to root ( my first Android Device ) as an entry level Tablet to play with - now I'm stuck wondering if I should hold off for the Acer / Tegra 2 processor with high resolution screen and all the Outputs that Nook Color doesn't have.

Being new to Android tablets
* what are the odds the first few batches have serious quirks with em
* how likely / how long will it be til there's ROM options and support from the folks on this site. Nook Color really seems to have a strong following of enthusiasts.
* Will a device like the Acer gain taht kindof activity behind the device pretty quickly - or will it be a slow moving subforum like the DELL ????
* Will these Acer Tablets - somehow be locked down - similar to the way they don't let you overclock with their PC motherboard / cpu combos?

Tegra 2 dual core CPU - at a reasonable price - really has frozen me til wait a little longer here.

Gravytub

May 8, 2011
Yeah, well aware of that. At one point, gateway owned Amiga... whatever happened to Amiga... I'm surprised it didn't move to tablets... I would think it would be a perfect fit.

Very, very outdated quote, but Amiga has now moved in that direction.