Favourites / Bookmarks / SD card

JohnMac58

Jul 11, 2011
I have quite a lot of "favourites" which I would like if poss to put on my tablet.
When I link my pc to the tablet I can see a very basic file structure, none named either favourites or bookmarks. So do I create a new folder or what?
One other thing I have inserted a 2GB microSD card and it shows in settings ok. Can I load that card with photos and will they then be seen and shown in the photo apps.
Hope someone has the answers for above regards JohnMac:confused:

spexwood

May 11, 2011
Yes to your sdcard question.

I do not quite understand your first question. Do you mean Favorites as in Internet Explorer links or Firefox links? If so, I personally have not figured out a way to get the tablet browser to read those files, so there MAY not be a way to get them to work other than manually typing the addressinto the browser and rebookmark it.

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

Last edited:

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
I have quite a lot of "favourites" which I would like if poss to put on my tablet.
When I link my pc to the tablet I can see a very basic file structure, none named either favourites or bookmarks. So do I create a new folder or what?

Ok, Look, this is Android, and Android is mostly Google. If you want this to work smoothly you do it the google way.

Step One: On your computer, install Chrome browser if you don't already have it. Log into your google account.

Step two:
Use Chrome to import your book marks from any lesser browser you may have been using in the past.
Use the excellent Book marks manager to organize if needed. (Its under Wrench, Bookmarks).

Step Three: Under Wrench / Options / Personal Stuff, turn on Sync. Under Customize, turn on at least Bookmarks.

Step Three-point-five: On the Tablet, open Settings / Accounts and Sync and check the two check boxes at the top. Then tap the google account you plan to sync with, and make sure Browser is one of the options selected.

Step Four: On the tablet, open the browser, tap settings, (upper left corner), General / Sync. Enter in the same google account.

Step Five: Repeat on your Android Smart Phone.

BAM. Done. Have a beer. Your book marks will be kept in sync. Add, delete, Organize is replicated across all your devices.

One other thing I have inserted a 2GB microSD card and it shows in settings ok. Can I load that card with photos and will they then be seen and shown in the photo apps.
Hope someone has the answers for above regards JohnMac:confused:

Yes. Load the card before you insert it into the tablet, or use a file manager like (but not limited to) ES File Manager to move images to the MicroSD card and the photo viewers will find them. You can even set the camera to store to the MicroSD card as long as you tablet is running 3.1.

Last edited:

FlutteringBy

Jul 5, 2011
Great post, Icebike!!!.....lots of good info & explanation.....

As a beginner newbie to Android, I have one quick question:
- once I "On the tablet, open the browser, tap settings, (upper left corner), General / Sync. Enter in the same google account," will my bookmarks be stored "in the cloud" with my tablet having access to them or will they be downloaded to my tablet?

Many thanks,
FlutteringBy

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
They are synced to the ACER, and are even available when you have no wifi, not that they do you much good then.
You can test this with airplane mode.

msobel

Jul 19, 2011
I set up sync but it prompted me to delete the local bookmarks which I did and now sync hasn't refilled them. I have used chrome sync on on my other computers successfully.
I also can't seem to turn off the browser sync.

finally the settings on my Iconic on the browser are on the right hand side. Is there a folder which has the bookmarks in them.

I also noticed that when I save a page and bookmark it, it won't load.
Update:
I went back and found reset to default which seemed to fix the no bookmarks found but hasn't synched the bookmarks yet.

Last edited:

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Double check that you are using the same google account, and that your google settings still authorize sync when you log in via your desktop.

Also Go to Settings / Accounts and Sync / and make sure both check boxes are checked.

Then tap the google account you are using and make sure it has Browser checked (along with any of the other things you want to sync).

I edited the directions above to include this step in settings.

Last edited:

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
I also noticed that when I save a page and bookmark it, it won't load.

Wait, SAVE and BOOKMARK?

All you need to is touch the STAR in the right side of the URL bar, and tap ok.

Save tries to make a copy of the entire page contents on your tablet's internal SD card. It generally makes a mess of your storage.