Feedback on Bauhn 10" 3G Quad Core Tablet

Love2cook

Jun 5, 2013
I have just bought one of the above tablets and would like some feedback from other buyers re their praise/problems with it in terms of use in Australia and overseas, since I shall be travelling to France, Italy, Spain and Morrocco in 3 weeks time.

johnsk69

Jun 6, 2013
I Have 2 BAUHN ALDI tablets.

Here are the specs.
1) Dual core processor and Quadcore processor. Believe it or not I put them side by side and press the power button same time. The Dual core loads before the Quadcore. Quadcore slow.
2) Dual core screen 9.7" 4:3. Quadcore is 10.1. 16:9. Quadcore is smaller than dual core even know screen is bigger.
3) Dual core has 16GB built in. Quadcore has 4GB.
4) Dual core has 1GB DDR2 memory. Quadcore has 1GB DDR3 memory. Quadcore still boots slower.
5) Dual core has 3MP camera. Quadcore has 5MP. a clearer camera.
6) Dual core has more standard installed apps than Quadcore. Could not find a video player to play movies....but they play when you click on them.
I tried to play 480 and 720p and 1080p video on both tablets.
The dual core played all smoothly without any problems.
The quadcore could not play 480, 720 or even 1080p movies smooth terrible...only 360p work. I installed player as per this forum, still did not work.
7) Dual core screen 1024 x 768. Quadcore screen 1280 x 800. ...So much for HD screen. Only good for photos.
8) Dual core power button solid feel. Quadcore power button feels loose and flimsy.
9) Dual core tablet charges from AC and USB charger. Quadcore charges from AC power with special connector.

My aldi dual core tablet also has 3G and GPS satellite navigation built in.
I run GPS navigation software which runs perfectly on this dual core tablet.
As for 3G and phone calls......I can surf the web with 3G sim card installed and make real mobile phone calls without using WIFI or Skype.
Read some forums about navigation software...It will help you.
I bought ALDI BAUHN Dual core tablet 3 montha ago for $249. No longer available for sale. Quadcore $249 on 5/6/2013.
Some buyers quote issues with Dual core tablet.....but I have not had any.

My advice use for less than 2 months....if not happy with tablet performance, reliability....get a refund before 60 days.

Conclusion I will return quadcore tablet for a refund and believe Dual core model is better in my opinion in build quality, functionality and compatibility.

Regards John

Last edited:

Love2cook

Jun 5, 2013
Hi John, Thanks for your comments. I mainly want the tablet for email, banking and accessing info when I travel to Europe on 1 July this year. If you don't mind my asking, how much was the Dual Core? The Quad was $249 this week at Aldi, but haven't seen the Dual Core on sale.

Ciao Carole

I Have 2 BAUHN ALDI tablets.

Here are the specs.
1) Dual core processor and Quadcore processor. Believe it or not I put them side by side and press the power button same time. The Dual core loads before the Quadcore. Quadcore slow.
2) Dual core screen 9.7" 4:3. Quadcore is 10.1. 16:9. Quadcore is smaller than dual core even know screen is bigger.
3) Dual core has 16GB built in. Quadcore has 4GB.
4) Dual core has 1GB DDR2 memory. Quadcore has 1GB DDR3 memory. Quadcore still boots slower.
5) Dual core has 3MP camera. Quadcore has 5MP. a clearer camera.
6) Dual core has more standard installed apps than Quadcore. Could not find a video player to play movies....but they play when you click on them.
7) Dual core screen 1024 x 768. Quadcore screen 1280 x 800. I tried to play 480 and 720p video....the movies don not play smooth terrible...on;y 360p movies work...So much for HD screen. Only good for photos.
8) Dual core power button solid feel. Quadcore power button feels loose and flimsy.

Conclusion I will return quadcore tablet for a refund and believe Dual core model is better in my opinion in build quality.

Regards John

Conclusion....I will take back for a refund.

Robbo

Sep 8, 2012
There are key differences between the tablets that need to be kept in mind.
The new quad core has a GPS reciever built in, and SIM slot. It has been advertised as able to make calls and send messages.
This may be something important for some buyers. For me, I can tether to my phone, so a SIM is not needed, but GPS would be welcome. I use an app that uses it and my dual core tablet is no good for it.
As to boot time, if it's not too different, no problem. If it multi-tasks better, that is a bonus. If the trade off is poor battery life, that needs to be taken into account. Be interested to hear how it fares in that regard.

stiiixy

Jun 7, 2013
This tablet has features, but the execution is intolerable. Nothing works properly. Quite frankly this is an underwhelming, underperforming (as previously mentioned) piece of garbage until the software problems are sorted. Or a functional custom ROM is found. I'm open to linkage to test out custom ROM's before returning this thing as it's unlikely to be updated by Bauhn. It's core hardware is 'mature' (Snapdragon (system on chip) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) which as far as I know already has open support on android. It's the radio item's that would be the problem for custom ROM's. No point in this pad if you cant get those working; might as well go get one of those $200 Kogan Agora jobbies or a high-end properly supported (manufacturer's or custom, doesn't matter) second hand item because in its current state, it's not funtional, and a lot of useful software like media players (MX etc) are very hit and miss on a per device scenario.

enviro8

Feb 29, 2012
I am quite happy with my unit, although I am still exploring it fully.

It runs all the apps that I need such as XBMC, Veetle, Crackle, catch up TV (via XBMC), shows the weather via WeatherZone, loads fast etc.

I have been trying to root the unit, but have had no success.

Anyone worked out how?

BTW has anyone been able to get it to boot into recover as per the method on the bottom of page 41?

If so, what is the trick?

bauhn

Jun 8, 2013
Phone feature works
GPS feature works
Camera not that good
Ease if use good
Screen quality good
Battery life excellent
Flexibility of deleting and registering new gmail account very good
Compatible andriod apps good
Memory management poor you will need app to free up memory as it gets used to the red limit and then each tablet key press takes for ever
Youtube video lag in HD but are good in standard mode. Need to un select HD. If you like HD play you must give the processor all the time and not interrupt it with a figity finger on the screen or pressing other buttons as this will slow the video playback. Just let youtube videos play without touching anything.

Keyboard functionality a little slower than ipad 2

stiiixy

Jun 7, 2013
Power the unit off. Then, hold the volume up button and power buttons simultaneously until the Bauhn logo disappears and then release. You will be dumped to the bootloader. I'm still looking for a ROM that would be compatible with at least the basics of this unit.

ouryou

Jun 8, 2013
Can't connect to my wireless router, working after i bought a TP-Link from aldi.
Can't use GPS , anyone has same problem?

bauhn

Jun 8, 2013
For GPS function download from playstore an app called GPS status. This will help the navigation app to lock onto satellites quicker. The Nav sat app it came with needs some starting parameters to get it going and when it comes factory set it is not properly setup. Quality control and service is not there, that is why you paid a third of the cost. If you got a similar features packed tablet expect to pay 700+

geoffclifton

Jun 9, 2013
Gooday. I've had mine for 5 days but have had 3 HTC phones so I'm not new to Android.
I was quite disappointed with the screens poor contrast and colour saturation side by side with a Galaxy Tab BUT the best I could find for a same spec (16Gb, 3G & GPS) is $549, more than double so that made the Aldi look a bit better :)
Setup was a breeze with my existing google and gmail accounts and I'm building up my apps. I should have probably copied the file for app backup & restore from the phone.
Number one improvement was to install and customise Hackers Keyboard. If you haven't found the settings options for HK press Fn and the round symbol to the right of ESC. Try key sounds and stone theme.
As it doesn't have something like HTC sense I think you need to install a memory manager. I'm using Android Assistant.
My annoyances are mostly with Chrome. I'll put up with it for all it's good features and sync but how do I close ALL open tabs, goto top ot bottom of a webpage, display the page for opened in new tab etc.?
I'm really missing being able to put shortcuts to bookmarks on the home screen. Was that an HTC Sense feature?
Skype is useless so far. I have an Aldi SIM (Telstra) with 2Mbps+ and most other apps seem fine.
Sound is awful, half the volume of a Galaxy.
I have 60 days to decide but it it's probably OK for the price.

Geoff.

geoffclifton

Jun 9, 2013
OK I'm reading this thread using Chrome on the Aldi tablet.
It took a silly length of time hacking around to find 'subscribe to thread' hidden in a little icon called thread tools. Isn't subscribe usually just at the bottom of a thread?
Is there a way to goto top/bottom of page when reading a full page of replies?
Close all open tabs?
Reply to thread is only working if I long press and open in a new tab, or maybe I'm not waiting long enough.
This tablet is nice to use on your lap versus the laptop's fan cooking your legs.

Geoff

Last edited:

aralev

Jun 18, 2013
I actually called customer service today about the navigation and they tell me that there is fix for this available in 7 days