File Manager Apps

Zina_berry

Dec 5, 2011
Hello all, I recent downloaded the Astro File Manager as the reviews seemed to be pretty good. However, I don't get how it works at all. I can't really tell what is on my SD card and what isn't and I'd like to rename files like picture names.

I'm looking for a file manager that looks and works like Windows Explorer. Are there any out there for Android?

Just had a brain f... I guess I could just hook the tablet to my laptop and use WE, yes? But, I'd really like an app that I can manage files from the tablet itself.

I'd appreciate any input or leads to pre-existing message threads on this topic.

Thank you.

Zina

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
are you rooted? I like ES Strong and Root Explorer, and yes you can do it from your computer.

Peter

Zina_berry

Dec 5, 2011
Thanks, Peter. No, I'm not rooted but will keep working on learning the file configuration from WE.

liewananda

May 29, 2012
Why don't you try File Manager or File Manager HD. Will will be able to find the extSD easily. Anywhere what is rooted and how do I root my applications. I manae to download some applications and it ask me to root it. I am new to android , just bought a Onda VI 40 locally. The screen is sharp and bright bur recently it hang showing only the green android popping up and down. The dealer told me to update the firmware. I am still waiting for him to download for me because my downloading internet speed is very slow and interuption regularly

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
My 2 file managers have been mentioned, File Manager HD and ES File Explorer. You do not need to be rooted to use ES, but it has some additional features. My favorite in ES is the long press and then "Copy To" feature.

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
I have another option, that works much like Windows Explorer and does not require a root. Actually 2. Antek Explorer and Total Commander. Both are dual pane.

frapshake

Apr 22, 2011
I cast my vote for File Manager HD. I've tried several in the past and this one is the best I've found. Very simple to get access to usb storage and external sd by clicking on the up arrow at the top right of the page. Then just a long press on a file and you get a menu with several choices, one being Rename. I uninstalled ES and Astro a long time ago and never looked back.

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
ES file explorer seems the most powerful feature rich file explorer, allowing ftp, wifi file transfer and seamless integration with cloud based storage. If your tablet is rooted it also offers the features of an app like Root Explorer. Simple batch file operations as well as .rar and .zip support. Free as well, just incredible.