For Hire: Old dog looking to learn new tricks!

bigmooke

Jul 29, 2012
Hello out there. I am a former windows/netware/unix/sunos hardware/software/network tech. The first computer I worked on (near 30 years ago) required going inside it. Now that I have retired from that rat race, I am looking for a new way to do things. I have a few questions on how things work in the world of Android, specifically 4.x. (interested in Asus 300 transformer.)

1. When I put the device on my home network, will my current desktop be able to see it as a machine on the network, or can the tablet be mapped as a share? Is there an 'app for that', that is moving files over the network? How else would you move files from pc to tablet?

2. Is there a version of itunes for android, of another way to make music from my pc work?

3. Same question for movies, is there an android manifestation of windows media player?

My apologies if these questions belong somewhere else, I am new to these forums.

Thanks
Grey haired old tech

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Welcome to the forum

1. When I put the device on my home network, will my current desktop be able to see it as a machine on the network, or can the tablet be mapped as a share? Is there an 'app for that', that is moving files over the network? How else would you move files from pc to tablet?

Short answer, no and no. However, there are a few apps on the Google Store site that will allow you to access the tablet over the WiFi network to do things like manipulate your contacts, move files back and forth, delete and so forth. AirDroid, WiFi File Transfer and WiFi File Explorer are a few examples.

2. Is there a version of itunes for android, of another way to make music from my pc work?

Sorry, iTunes is a MAC/PC specific program, however there is an app called DoubleTwist that will let you sync your music from your PC. Also Google Music, installed on your PC, will sync your iTunes tunes to the cloud if you are in the US, which I see you are. That would make all your tunes available through the "Play" app on the tablet and up to 20,000 songs/files are free.

3. Same question for movies, is there an android manifestation of windows media player?

Sorry but again I have to say no, and again, however, there are a lot of nice movie players available for Android some with more or less features than others. Getting the movies from your PVC to the tablet can be accomplished using those apps I mentioned or by using an SD card if the tablet has one, or by browsing a share on your network using an Android File Manager like ES File Explorer. So while you cannot see the tablet from your PC, (other than the aforementioned methods), your tablet can see your PC just fine with the proper network shares on the PC(s).

In a way all the answers to your questions are no but they can all be resolved in some way.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Hello Grey haired old tech, now that my friend Lee has thoroughly answered all your questions about all I can think of to say is, "Welcome to the forum, glad to have you here as a member of Android Tablets.":)