G-tablet Mad Libs

TTTony

Apr 19, 2011
I think I would still consider myself a noob to tablets and android in general, but I have a challenge for those of you who proclaim yourselves experts. Yes, the question has been asked a thousand times and a million other noobs before me have searched for the answer. So the question then is why...WHY...can't anyone weigh in on an opinion when it comes to the various ROMS available. So let's try this:

I love my G-tablet, but __(ROM I'm replacing)__ sucks. I'm going to replace it with __(new ROM)__ because it __(list cool things here)__, which__(ROM I'm replacing)__ does not.

If you can't fill in the blanks, then I challenge you to answer this: Why did you replace the stock ROM in the first place? I know I did because everyone said the stock ROM sucked. I now have TnT Lite 4.2 and I'm not seeing this huge difference that everyone else is. Is it more subtle than I was imagining it would be? Perhaps I should have suffered with the stock ROM for longer so I could appreciate what I have now?

I'm not a troll. I'm just trying to get this basic question answered for all us new owners that can't find the most basic answers. And yes, I've searched...here and on XDA.

Thanks all. This is definitely a very informative forum.

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
First, there is a HUGE difference between the stock ROM now and the stock ROM from when the G-Tablet first hit the market. That ROM was so bad that Staples actually pulled the tab from shelves three weeks before Christmas, and overall I believe the return rate was over 80%. They have made vast improvements since then that are due in large part to all of the custom ROM developments that they integrated back from the user community.

IMHO, the second reason for flashing a custom ROM is what is called bloatware. All the apps and services and other crud from the manufacturers that no one wants or uses (CityID? Really? $5/month). This also allows you to have things accessible for all apps instead of just ones that cost money, etc.

Finally, while the list of other reasons is as long as there are users times x, the bottom line is that we flash for the same reason we used to take our toys apart or tune up engines, or draw pictures. We want to create something that is uniquely ours and not like everyone else's, or we want to understand how it works.

As far as performance improvements, you do need to have a benchmark or baseline for comparison. Sorry for the overlong answer

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Tablet Forum

TTTony

Apr 19, 2011
Now,that's making a whole lot more sense to me. I get the feeling a lot of users are flashing without even understanding why they do it....just because they were told "the other one sucks." I can totally understand the bloatware angle too. However, I don't remember seeing CityID on my stock install. Anyways, thanks for clearing it up a bit. Hopefully this helps someone else make an informed decision on flashing, especially in light of the most recent upgrades available to the stock software.

Raven312

Mar 28, 2011
I no longer have the G-Tablet but when I did, I flashed to a new rom within hours - sounds like you. I went to TNT Lite 4.3.0. It was good, but I kept hearing about Vegan Tab 5.1, so I decided to try that one. Loved it. It was fast to the point where I took it for granted, and everything just... worked. When I made up my mind to return it (hard decision!) I removed root and restored it back to base. I wanted to do a thorough check to make sure I'd taken off all personal information. I thought it was broken, it was so slow. Really. At THAT point I had a real good comparison and knew why I rooted.

Sent from my PC36100 using Android Tablet Forum

Raven312

Mar 28, 2011
One more note: as you use your tab and figure out how it fits your style and determine how you use it most, you'll find that there's most likely a custom rom that can best harness the strengths for that use. I suspect that is when your question will best be answered.

TTTony

Apr 19, 2011
Great feedback. Thanks. I think it's a combination of me spending so little time with the stock install AND the fact that they have improved it since initial release. I was running 3588 which seemed pretty good. Maybe I'll give Vegan a try. I think I have some psychological aversion to it because I happen to like steak. LOL!

fridge011

Mar 19, 2011
I love steak and vegan 5.1.1 it's fast, stable, and I don't get the YouTube stutter I was getting with gharmony gingerbread. Ill probably change to another Rom in the future just to try a new one out but this is my #1.

rgc6789

Apr 8, 2011
I'm a noobie and ran the stock for about a day before "upgrading" to custom roms. The stock rom for me was very slow, bloated with junkware, and missing the market. Battery performance was also less than I had expected. I went initially to TnTLite 4.3, but then went to CM7 and haven't looked back.

I agree with pbrauer that part of the reason we chose an android tablet was the flexibility to install what we want on it. Some people want the fastest, cleanest ROM. Some people want a mixture of speed and features. I like CM7 as it gives me a nice mix of speed and functionality and is solid. I spent a week on a trip using it. Reading e-books using the nook app gave me about 11-12 hours of use on a charge - in airplane mode. That to me was great.

I had a number of people ask me about it while I was traveling. I don't think Android is for the faint of heart - I'd never recommend it to my mother. For people who want something to turn on and have it work perfectly - they should get an iPad. But, if you have a little technical know-how, this tablet (and I'm sure a number of other android tabs) exceeds expectations once it's tweeked.

TTTony

Apr 19, 2011
Yes...I'm slowing starting to gain this understanding and appreciation. I was running TnTLite 4.2. Now I'm going to move on and try CM7 for a little while as soon as I can get it installed...that's a whole other post though! I sure have learned a lot in a week.

majorwest

Mar 27, 2011
One more note: as you use your tab and figure out how it fits your style and determine how you use it most, you'll find that there's most likely a custom rom that can best harness the strengths for that use. I suspect that is when your question will best be answered.

I can certainly understand that sentiment. BUT..I suspect that there are many newcomers here who, like myself, know their style, habits, quirks, etc. and just want to find the right fit in a ROM without going thru a repetitive modding routine. Yes the information is out there, but you have to wade thru a lot of discussion to find what you're looking for. And with several discussion forums on the net dedicated to the device, there is a ton (and days) of reading to do before you find the courage to mod your new toy. It's a great learning process, no doubt, and it does give you a certain advantage as an owner to know a little better how this thing works. But again, some of us aren't able to dedicate that kind of time and simply want to set it up right the first time and be done with it (for the time being, anyway).

Raven312

Mar 28, 2011
And I'm one of those people. As much as I like to tinker, I would prefer to enjoy my device. However, you won't know you're "there" until - well, until you've experimented a bit and have a few scenarios to compare. You HAVE to use it at each juncture to see if it's working for you. It's a calculated approach; don't change roms for the hell of it. Have a desired functionality in mind and see if a particular rom will fulfill it. That's my method, at any rate.

TTTony

Apr 19, 2011
I think majorwest said it best. I don't mind tinkering, but not just for the heck of it. I want to know where I'm going to...and that question is largely unanswered on all of these forums. I wish someone would aggregate it in a sticky somewhere.

Me, I landed on CM7 and I think I like it so far. Granted I only played with the stock and TnTLite, but for me CM7 was a good balance of the things I was looking for.

More than anything, I'm really disappointed nobody participated in my Mad Libs! j/k