Global computer has the new Archos lineup 4 pre-sale.. WITH release dates

Swould333

Aug 5, 2010
Global computer has the new Archos lineup for pre-sale.. 10/31 on some 11/1 others...
Here's the link to their Archos line up page..
Buy the Best at the Cheapest Prices at Global Computer

And here is the one I have on Pre-order...

Archos 501590 101 Internet Tablet - 10.1 Screen, 1024 x 600, Built-in Speakers, 8GB, Android User Interface, .5 Thick, WiFi, PRE ORDER - Due in 111 at Global Computer

I went this route because they have a better return policy than Archos's direct market or even Amazon does...

drpaul

Oct 5, 2010
Is there a 32 GB limit on these? I am trying to decide between getting the 8GB and 16GB model. I am going to be using a 16GB microSD card anyway (<$30) so I am trying to talk myself into the 8GB model with card. Any help?

Paul

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
OK, Reality check time. What will you fill the 8Gb vs 16 Gb vs 32 Gb. storage on the Tablet. Tablets in my opinion cannot use the same storage logic as you would on a PMP or a PC. I have a PMP/Linux Tablet (My Archos 5) w/250Gb storage. I have my Archos 7 Home and the A81-E and finally the X5A. I admit I cannot live with 2/4Gb of storage on a Tablet. But I can live happily on 16Gb.

I find that I accumulated "trash" in the 8Gb of my Home 7 that I never used. And now what do I use with it. It is my bedside reader.

My Archos 5/250 Gb has my entire Music Library. So, what do I do with it? A Web radio and PMP.

My A81-E and X5A are my tote alongs and use SD and MicroSD storage to hold my music and data of the moment. The onboard BT does recognize my BT Keyboard
so use them to check mail and tote in an oversize pocket. I also have used them for my work and learning Froyo/Eclair.

So what will I fill my 16 Gb 101 with? Some music, the core Android Apps I cannot live without. And then my favorite music. I will then use the SD storage for the temporary music of the moment, videos, files, etc. It will be a 16 Gb. I think from a personal perspective, I never use all of the available storage.

My point is. I do think it would be nice to have 512/1Gb of RAM. It is never used. The same is true with storage. I have discovered more junk and things I would never access again taking up space. So, be happy and enjoy the space. I have also noticed it is much easier to put stuff in the on-board storage than remove it. Thus my opinion of not needing more than 16Gb on-Board storage

drpaul

Oct 5, 2010
Gurgle, I understand your point and realize that I was not percise in my question. I have a 16Gb iPhone 3GS and it stays full with mostly music and a few pictures. I want the tablet to replace hauling a laptop around when I travel, which I do at least 2x per month now. In addition, I plan to rip some DVDs to the tablet to watch on the plane and then delete after I've seen them. Essentially, I need/want > 8Gb of music/picture space and 8-20Gb of video space, plus 1-2 GB for apps (not sure how much I will need there).

Back to the original question. Is there any limit to the amount of storage on the Archos 101? Is there any downside (speed, power, etc.) to having storage on microSD card vs. internal? Thanks in advance!

Paul

MaxTcee

Oct 13, 2010
i thought they said froyo 2.2 isnt good on over 800x480 pixels so how are they selling a 10 inch android 2.2 ?
also am i mistaken the 10 inch doesnt have 3g so i would not be able to teather from my phone?

Last edited:

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
Ah Sorry, misunderstood, There are many who do not separate the Operating Memory vs Storage. Your statements do make sense. The detail I read a while back was Archos appreciates the storage junkies who want the Archos 5/7 and such with as much as 500 Gb. What it implied and we will have to wait for someone to open one and look at the Board(s). It would not surprise me for it to handle the next generation Flash and on-board SSD Chips.
What I am saying is the units would handle the 256 Gb SD card and potentially have on the circuit board one of the 64 Gb single chip SSD. The answer will be in the board. I can not think of anything to stop it other than the flash chip socket availability.

So to your question. I have not seen a performance hit on my Archos home 7 any different than any other Donut OS. I cannot speak to Froyo on Archos beyond what I read. I am as ignorant as you. My A81-E with Froyo only has 256Mb and the usual 2Gb +8Gb MicroSD. I do notice with my build it does get sluggish when I have too many apps loaded, but it still works. I am hoping the same with the Cortex A8 on the Archos.

My bet on the first Gen 70 and 101 will have the current limit of a 32 Gb storage on the slot and the on-board storage model you buy/bought.
so right now breaking that down into what my core apk aps take up and such.
48 Gb Max - 16 on-board + 32 on a card. (It might have OTG capability, but I honestly cannot say.)
- General shrinkage we are down to 44 Gb
- default Apps installed (I am betting on 2-4G) 40 Gb
- My apps I will install (2-3 Gb) 38 Gb

Sorry for my tortured calculations
SOooo, I am betting about 10 Gb gone out of my 48 Gb unit to 36 to 38 Gb availble for Txt,Epubs,MKVs,MP4,....
Or maybe only 6 Gb available if you have a 8 Gb on-board unit with and a 8 Gb Card

But that is all guesswork from what I have seen. Apologies I do ramble.

mindwave

Jul 6, 2010
I may be wrong but I think that the linit comes into play w/ the microSD cards.

I believe that most tablets are only designed to address a max size of a 32GB microsd card

not that I could ever afford a 65GB microsd, but im sure SOMEONE could

Swould333

Aug 5, 2010
I really don't believe stroage will be an issue.. I can't speak specific to the Archos line.. but on my Moto Droid with Android 2.2. I only have 256 MB on internal storage and 16GB on sd.

I have 100+ apps loded in the internal mem
on the sd i have
400+pics.. most at 5mp resolution...
several vids taken with the phone camera
2 full length movies (300MB+ each)
400+ mp3's
30 or so ROMs for classic game emulators(each at 100-400+MB)
3 backups of roms for the phones operating sys
plus LOTS of various and sundry files associated with apps...

Storage SHOULDN'T be an issue.. especially if you plan on having the media files there temporaily.. you can always carry extra cards that have nothing but your movies...

there are apps from my understanding that allow you to stream files from a media server or other pc, which would benifit you at home if you shose to use it as a media device there

ALSO something to keep in concideration is that with this device going to Android 2.2 you'll be able to move some apps to sd but that developer dependant so hit or miss on thast... I have another 20 apps or so that are loaded to the sd card that run fine from it...

Swould333

Aug 5, 2010
i thought they said froyo 2.2 isnt good on over 800x480 pixels so how are they selling a 10 inch android 2.2 ?
also am i mistaken the 10 inch doesnt have 3g so i would not be able to teather from my phone?

I'm thinking the higher res is for video playback...

and from what i'm reading on Archos' website you can tether the tablet to your cell as long as you're phone is 3.5g enabled not sure what's up with that but i'll let ya know in a couple weeks..lol

cutterjohn

Aug 23, 2010
Gurgle, I understand your point and realize that I was not percise in my question. I have a 16Gb iPhone 3GS and it stays full with mostly music and a few pictures. I want the tablet to replace hauling a laptop around when I travel, which I do at least 2x per month now. In addition, I plan to rip some DVDs to the tablet to watch on the plane and then delete after I've seen them. Essentially, I need/want > 8Gb of music/picture space and 8-20Gb of video space, plus 1-2 GB for apps (not sure how much I will need there).

Back to the original question. Is there any limit to the amount of storage on the Archos 101? Is there any downside (speed, power, etc.) to having storage on microSD card vs. internal? Thanks in advance!

Paul

Didn't quite finish reading the thread yet since at one point it was degenerating into a debate about storage cap. Anyways, as you can see on the OP linked site that the Archos 70 comes in two versions, one with 8GB internal plus external card expansion option, currently 32GB(spec supports more but 32GB are the max cap card made ATM, similar to the was with uSD they ALWAYS said 16GB max, but again the spec supports more and the 16GB max was referenced because that was the max cap card actually in production) and there is also a version of the 70 with a 250GB hdd(not sure if it's mechanical or ssd) either way it's bound to make the 70 HEAVY.

Trust me on that I went from an Augen Gentouch 78 which was nice and light to a Pandigital Novel which you could conceivably use as a blunt trauma weapon... i.e. it's borderline uncomfortable to hold one handed and I'd imagine that the 70 with 250GB will be MUCH worse...

I think that Archos should've lowered the 70 price and given it only 8 or 16GB flash memory internal and put the 250GB in the 101 which is probably already heavy enough to have to be used two handed or propped up... i.e. so with the 101 you're stuck with either 8 or 16GB of internal flash plus and expansion card... up to 32GB

Last edited:

Swould333

Aug 5, 2010
Weight's deff not an issue on these things.. the tech specs put the 101 at 480 grams if my conversion app on my droid is correct that just over a pound..
and the 250 gig 70 is only 400 grams...
the flash series 70 is only 300 grams...

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
Just as a point of comparison. Most 7 inch Tablets weigh 250-300 grams. There are some heavyweights that are over a 400. The 101 as listed above is right now 480. Even if they added one of the next generation single chip SSD, that is likely not to change. These single chip units are in the 64-128 Gb. and would be integrated. Here is a link if curious +LINK+ These are the future and likely available by next summer.
Think in comparison the IPad weighs 780 grams The IPad is hefty in comparison to the 101.

Kahoolie

Oct 21, 2010
Check out the site home page for the latest shipping information on the Archos Gen 8's. It's been delayed - again.

kim1406

Oct 18, 2010
Is there any news about Globalcomputer if they will ship any device on 1/11 or any other confirmed date?