Google Sky Map Hangs on 10.1

jkane

Jun 23, 2010
Anyone using Google Sky Map? I have it on my HTC Desire, and it is really nice. Just hangs when I try to start it on the Archos 10.1. I end up resetting the whole thing to get it working again. Even when waiting and it pops up the kill taks or wait screen, neither press will bring it back. It continues to hang.

Is it the missing GPS maybe?

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
That is one part of it, yes. Sky Map by default is working to get its coordinates as well as its siderial time (this is the time value used to plot star positions relative to earth rotation) values from the GPS.

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
You can use SkyMap without a GPS, But you are locked into general coordinates or if you have your browser location associated with your Access Point.
I had issues with certain versions of Google Sky Map. The current version works on my 101, but it seems to be extremely processor intensive. I had to let it "install"/startup for two minutes the first time, and then afterwards it freezes if I attempt too many commands. If patient with it on the 101, it does work. What makes me think Firmware is it worked with no issues when I had 2.1 and tested it before updating to 2.0.71.

zerotiger

Nov 11, 2010
Also remember that unfortunately the Archos tablets do not come pre-installed with Android Market. So there's no official support for Sky Map. It should run without GPS and it the tablet has enough horsepower to run it very smoothly. It does use a large amount of resources so maybe run your favorite app killer first then start it up.

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
Right. All I meant with my comment was that accounts for the lag on startup.

jkane

Jun 23, 2010
OK, so it did start after pressing wait a couple of times and waiting a LONG time. But on exit it rebooted iteself. And it still starts very slow. I don't have that kind of patience. :p It starts up quickly on my HTC Desire.

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
Like I said, I think it is a Firmware element. I did not have this with the 2.1 firmware. So, indications are another firmware release is right around the corner for the 101.
I have owned at this point Gen4,Gen5,Gen6,Gen7 and the 101 is Gen8. My experience and if you look at the firmware history, they are fairly constant on firmware updates until they get close to a very stable build. They will even continue Firmware support after a new gen is released. I would bet a Gen9 is likely in late 2011 with that gen based on a multi-core and large SSD storage/RAM capacity. But that is just prediction.

But to both of our issues, I think Sky Map will be functional in the next release. I will be waiting as I have Celeste, a solar clock, Moon Phase apps and other Astronomy apps loaded already on my 101. It was handy when the US lunar Eclipse occured to figure out where elements were for the night without just getting bearings.

blaer

May 26, 2010
Like I said, I think it is a Firmware element. I did not have this with the 2.1 firmware. So, indications are another firmware release is right around the corner for the 101.
I have owned at this point Gen4,Gen5,Gen6,Gen7 and the 101 is Gen8. My experience and if you look at the firmware history, they are fairly constant on firmware updates until they get close to a very stable build. They will even continue Firmware support after a new gen is released. I would bet a Gen9 is likely in late 2011 with that gen based on a multi-core and large SSD storage/RAM capacity. But that is just prediction.

But to both of our issues, I think Sky Map will be functional in the next release. I will be waiting as I have Celeste, a solar clock, Moon Phase apps and other Astronomy apps loaded already on my 101. It was handy when the US lunar Eclipse occured to figure out where elements were for the night without just getting bearings.[/QUOTEN]

I think it does not work because the archos lacks a compass.

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
You can use SkyMap like I do, But you have to either tether a GPS to it or Manually apply the coordinates and use manual rotation find your desired planet, star or Messier. That is what I do.