Gps??

AQ_OC

May 14, 2011
I'll assume you're referring to Copilot...
Had a few FC's while setting up in the menu, turned off the annoying "welcome to copilot live professional" super loud voice greeting, and interactive feedback sounds... and haven't had a FC since. It does use the full HC screen real estate- you choose via the menu for portrait or landscape mode- or let the tablet decide. One nice feature is- tap the POI's and it gives you basic info and the phone number to the POI. I DL's the maps for Eastern US to save some room on the SD card, but could of had all the US for $5.

If you want to try a nice free mapping (no nav feature AFAIK) app try- "MapDroyd"- not as nice as Copilot- but it's free and works well!

I was willing to pay the $5 to test out Copilot with maps....but a lot of the reviews claim that the software is hard to install and use -- apparently due to copy protection schemes. What is your experience? Also, it sounds as if you were able to download only some of the maps for free...is that correct?

robdroid

May 4, 2011
I was willing to pay the $5 to test out Copilot with maps....but a lot of the reviews claim that the software is hard to install and use -- apparently due to copy protection schemes. What is your experience? Also, it sounds as if you were able to download only some of the maps for free...is that correct?
Install is a snap, no problems at all.
As to the maps- no free maps. You download and install the app, but does not include any maps. You pay the $5 and that gives you access to all of the US- all 50 states.
You then have the choice to download the whole set (all 50 states) or in sections; like Eastern States to save space on your SD card, or even individual states to save even more space on your SD card. At any time you can go into the menu and download the areas you've paid for (in my case the whole USA) but haven't installed yet. So, you really can't lose- you have the ability to save SD card resources and control which maps you'd like to install based on your usage needs- but maintain the ability to install additional maps at any time (that wifi is available) you need the additional coverage.
It's a very well thought out scheme, and the program works great on the 10" screen of the A500.

AQ_OC

May 14, 2011
Install is a snap, no problems at all.
As to the maps- no free maps. You download and install the app, but does not include any maps. You pay the $5 and that gives you access to all of the US- all 50 states.
You then have the choice to download the whole set (all 50 states) or in sections; like Eastern States to save space on your SD card, or even individual states to save even more space on your SD card. At any time you can go into the menu and download the areas you've paid for (in my case the whole USA) but haven't installed yet. So, you really can't lose- you have the ability to save SD card resources and control which maps you'd like to install based on your usage needs- but maintain the ability to install additional maps at any time (that wifi is available) you need the additional coverage.
It's a very well thought out scheme, and the program works great on the 10" screen of the A500.

Thanks for this reply. I'm sorry for asking so many questions, but I'm borderline on returning the A500 right now. I do want to test the GPS feature though. Given that, do you think that if I return the A500 and get something else later on that I will be able to get Copilot to install on that new device without paying again? The reason I ask is that I have Navigon on my Droid Incredible, but it won't install in the Acer. Some paid apps would, but not all. Also, some free apps that were installed on my phone disappear from the phone once I installed them on the Acer. I don't know how app sellers track which Android devices their software is on, so I'm still unsure on how best to proceed.

GPS on the larger screen is one of the main reasons I bought the Acer, as I already have an iPad 2.

Thanks again.

robdroid

May 4, 2011
Thanks for this reply. I'm sorry for asking so many questions, but I'm borderline on returning the A500 right now. I do want to test the GPS feature though. Given that, do you think that if I return the A500 and get something else later on that I will be able to get Copilot to install on that new device without paying again?
Don't know the answer to that one, assume it's a single device license and you'll be out the $5 if you return the A500.

If you just want to test the GPS on the road- try the free MapDroid app (https://market.android.com/details?id=com.osa.android.mapdroyd&feature=search_result). It's not fancy like copilot with POI's and navigation guidance, etc... but it works and it cost nothing for the app and the maps are free. I ran it last night on the way home- and it was perfectly accurate and you can download just your sate map if you'd like too. Give it a shot!

AQ_OC

May 14, 2011
Don't know the answer to that one, assume it's a single device license and you'll be out the $5 if you return the A500.

If you just want to test the GPS on the road- try the free MapDroid app (https://market.android.com/details?id=com.osa.android.mapdroyd&feature=search_result). It's not fancy like copilot with POI's and navigation guidance, etc... but it works and it cost nothing for the app and the maps are free. I ran it last night on the way home- and it was perfectly accurate and you can download just your sate map if you'd like too. Give it a shot!

Great. Getting it now. Thanks.

robdroid

May 4, 2011
Great. Getting it now. Thanks.
I noticed MapDroid doesn't automatically start the GPS radio receiver on app startup like copilot does, so start Mapdroid, then hit it's menu icon- then press "my location" and you'll see the A500's GPS indicator pop up in the task bar. Location fix will occur as soon as your GPS gets a fix. I use "GPS Test" app to check my sat reception before running nav programs.

suade907

Apr 27, 2011
takes mine 10 minutes to get a lock but seems to work ok after that, But if I power down completely I have to get a lock all over and it takes another 10 minutes.

AQ_OC

May 14, 2011
Well, it was raining when I did my test. I just took a short trip the the grocery store. I got a lock before I left [MapDroyd]. Once I got there I got another lock, but it didn't try my location as I moved along the route. Pretty much the same thing returning. Perhaps tomorrow will be sunny....

robdroid

May 4, 2011
Well, it was raining when I did my test. I just took a short trip the the grocery store. I got a lock before I left [MapDroyd]. Once I got there I got another lock, but it didn't try my location as I moved along the route. Pretty much the same thing returning. Perhaps tomorrow will be sunny....
Once you click on the "my location" icon in Mapdroid's menu- you should the A500's system icon for the GPS (the "O" symbol) show up in the system tray. It should stay on the whole time Mapdriod is running, once the center of the "O" fills in solid- Mapdroid will show your location on the map and will update your location as you travel. If you look at the system tray and don't see the A500's GPS icon "O" there- then the GPS is not running and the maps will never update, or if the center of the "O" is not filled in solid- it means the GPS never got a lock.

AQ_OC

May 14, 2011
Once you click on the "my location" icon in Mapdroid's menu- you should the A500's system icon for the GPS (the "O" symbol) show up in the system tray. It should stay on the whole time Mapdriod is running, once the center of the "O" fills in solid- Mapdroid will show your location on the map and will update your location as you travel. If you look at the system tray and don't see the A500's GPS icon "O" there- then the GPS is not running and the maps will never update, or if the center of the "O" is not filled in solid- it means the GPS never got a lock.

Oh yes...this is what was happening...except....it would be there filled in part of the time, and then stop being there or stop being filled in, i.e. it got lock and lost it. I had to use the menu key several times to force it to try to obtain a lock. I'm going to play some more later today once it is dark....so I can see the screen a little better at a distance.

robdroid

May 4, 2011
...I had to use the menu key several times to force it to try to obtain a lock. I'm going to play some more later today once it is dark....so I can see the screen a little better at a distance.
Just hit "my location" in the Mapdroid menu- and don't do anything with it after that. It does take a while to lock on in some locations, but turning it on then off again multiple times just makes it start the lock-in process all over again from zero- so just hit that "my location" button only one time and forget it. The A500 will keep trying to acquire a lock without user intervention.
Good luck with it!