Hackable 7" Tablet with good battery life?

guttaperk

Dec 6, 2011
Hello, everyone!

I'm a longstanding iOS user who recently was given the job of setting up a no-name resistive tablet for a friend. I had a good time, and I'm now at the point where I'm interested in purchasing an Android tablet for myself.

I don't want a device like hers, though. I'd prefer to spend something in the region of US$250 or less, for a capacitive 8" or 7" device with decent battery life, expandable memory, easy rootability, and good community support. I'd like to be able to play around with MIUI, Cyanogenmod, and ICS when it comes.

I'd plan to use the tablet for e-books, casual gaming, web & mail, and miscellaneous computing, with the possibility of the occasional movie.

Right now the front-runner is a $150 refurbished Nook Color.
The Nook Tablet and Playbook are locked. The Kindle Fire has no expansion slot.
The Lenovo Ideapad A1 seems decent, but I can't find much in the way of community support for it.
The Acer Iconia A100 is also affordable, but reportedly has terrible battery life.
The Galaxy Tab devices are nice, but so expensive!
Should I be looking harder at the Dell Streak? Viewsonic devices? Coby?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Last edited:

Wild_Duck

Nov 6, 2011
Hi, after reading loads of reviews I settled on an A1CS 8" tablet from Amazon. (Herotab MID816R2) capacitive screen and gingerbread 2.3.1 for £163. Internal storage (apart from 512mb Nand) is a 4gb MicroSD card but it can be opened up and changed, there is also an external MicroSD slot. It`s that popular I had to buy two more for the grandkids.

guttaperk

Dec 6, 2011
Hi, after reading loads of reviews I settled on an A1CS 8" tablet from Amazon. (Herotab MID816R2) capacitive screen and gingerbread 2.3.1 for £163. Internal storage (apart from 512mb Nand) is a 4gb MicroSD card but it can be opened up and changed, there is also an external MicroSD slot. It`s that popular I had to buy two more for the grandkids.
My issues with that suggestion:
(1) Isn't that a different chip architecture, with possible app compatibility issues?
(2) I don't see much in the way of custom ROMs...
(3) I don't see any suggestion of an ICS-based CM or MIUI for this device...