Haipad M701 latest firmaware: Android 2.3 (2G Samsung, Micron 4G).

z4a007

Feb 26, 2011
Synctools fixed the only problem I had consisting in calendar not functioning.
Now I'm happy with 2.3

pbienst

May 8, 2011
To follow up on my own post, I found that resetting my routers improved the throughput from 0.5 Mbps to 3 Mbps...

BTW, I retract that, I'm still back to 0.5 Mbps for most of the time. Fiddling with router settings sometimes does seem to help, but it's more likely just random.

I looked on the internet, and there seem to be more reports of slow Wifi with Gingerbread for other devices too, so perhaps it's a kernel issue.

Anyway, still interested in hearing what other people get with speedtest.net, and if they know of some magic setting.

hopeless

Mar 2, 2011
BTW, I retract that, I'm still back to 0.5 Mbps for most of the time. Fiddling with router settings sometimes does seem to help, but it's more likely just random.

I looked on the internet, and there seem to be more reports of slow Wifi with Gingerbread for other devices too, so perhaps it's a kernel issue.

Anyway, still interested in hearing what other people get with speedtest.net, and if they know of some magic setting.

Does going into advance settings and change the channels for your wifi helps?

OffWorld

Oct 5, 2010
Does anyone know how to get the wifi-based location services to work on the 2GB Gingerbread firmware? And yes, I have the settings correctly enabled.

Under the Eclair firmware Google Maps could get my location within about a half-block of my house. Gingerbread just says my location is unavailable. My home wifi router setup hasn't changed.

I have tried replacing the "NetworkLocation.apk" with the one from the 2.3.1 SDK, but nothing changed - still no location.

Is there a hidden setting that needs to be changed? Some option I can add to my default.prop or build.prop file? A library file missing?

Clearly it worked with the old firmware so I know it's technically possible, but what magic pixie dust is missing from the Gingerbread build that is making it not work? Does anyone know? Does this work on the HY build?

pbienst

May 8, 2011
Does going into advance settings and change the channels for your wifi helps?

I fiddled with all possible settings on my network setup I could think of. In the end, I think I found the pattern now: right after reboot, wifi speeds are OK, but then they quickly degrade over time. Rebooting however fixes the problem (at least that is my current observation.)

Anyone can confirm or deny this? Perhaps there is a problem with some software I installed?

The Xoom seems to have similar issues (even though it's Honeycomb), and there it has been confirmed as a bug:

WiFi Speed decreases over time

hopeless

Mar 2, 2011
Does anyone know how to get the wifi-based location services to work on the 2GB Gingerbread firmware? And yes, I have the settings correctly enabled.

Under the Eclair firmware Google Maps could get my location within about a half-block of my house. Gingerbread just says my location is unavailable. My home wifi router setup hasn't changed.

I have tried replacing the "NetworkLocation.apk" with the one from the 2.3.1 SDK, but nothing changed - still no location.

Is there a hidden setting that needs to be changed? Some option I can add to my default.prop or build.prop file? A library file missing?

Clearly it worked with the old firmware so I know it's technically possible, but what magic pixie dust is missing from the Gingerbread build that is making it not work? Does anyone know? Does this work on the HY build?

Doesn't work on mine either. Apparently there seem to be an issue regarding this in the other forums. Some more I was not able to run whatsapp on the current 2.3 unlike the previous 2.1. Guess it's all about give and take.

hopeless

Mar 2, 2011
I fiddled with all possible settings on my network setup I could think of. In the end, I think I found the pattern now: right after reboot, wifi speeds are OK, but then they quickly degrade over time. Rebooting however fixes the problem (at least that is my current observation.)

Anyone can confirm or deny this? Perhaps there is a problem with some software I installed?

The Xoom seems to have similar issues (even though it's Honeycomb), and there it has been confirmed as a bug:

WiFi Speed decreases over time

So far I don't seem to have this problem. Maybe will look into it tonight and let you know how it goes.

saschab

Dec 3, 2010
Hello,
I have a problem with the browser. I can not scroll web pages. Only when i zoom in, scrolling is possible. I use dolphin hd.

When I zoom a little bit and scroll down and then zoom out, the browser goes on top of the page and I can't scroll again. Only when its zoomed....

thx Sascha

Last edited:

TioSolid

Jan 25, 2011
I know you guys already tried pushing NetworkLocation.apk but did you edit the xml file? Check this post: xda-developers - View Single Post - Need to turn on locations (google maps/square)

I tried to do that but im pretty sure im using the wrong NetworkLocation.apk file since after pushing it to system/app my tablet just crashes after boot and start reseting itself.

EDIT: Confirmed, even with NetworkLocation.apk from 2.3.1 (321KB package) it still doesnt work :/

Last edited:

OffWorld

Oct 5, 2010
@TioSolid (and anyone else frustrated by the lack of location services)

I've been trying everything I can think of to enable this for days now. Here's what I've tried out so far:

1. Replace the NetworkLocation.apk file with the one from the 2.3.1 SDK.

2. /data/data/com.android.settings/shared_prefs/com.android.settings_preferences.xml
already has the <boolean name="location_wifi" value="true" /> in it. Nothing to fix.

3. Tried editing the providers database directly, but it already has "network" set as a location provider. Tried adding "wifi" even though I don't know if it is a legitimate option:
./adb -d shell
# sqlite3 data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db
# sqlite> update secure set value='wifi,network,gps' where name='location_providers_allowed';

4. Noticed that same database file has "mock location" set to "1" and on xda I've seen someone post their database file and it was set to zero (mock location is only used when developing location-based apps and you need to feed it false location data). So I figured this should be set to zero:
#sqlite> update secure set value=0 where name='mock_location';

5. Also noticed that "assisted_gps_enabled" was set to zero. I'm not entirely sure what this is, but based on the explanation of how Android gets location on the Google dev site I'm assuming it means if GPS can't get location data it is "assisted" by the other methods? But I don't really know. Also, this was set to "1" in the sample file I saw on xda from someone who HAS working location so I figured what the heck. . .
#sqlite> update secure set value=1 where name='assisted_gps_enabled';

6. Noticed that my database is missing an entry that at least sounds like it might be important, so I inserted it into the table:
#sqlite> insert into secure values(null,'use_location',1);

7. Took a look at my build.prop file and noticed there is a property missing:
ro.com.google.locationfeatures=1
Could that be the underlying source of all our problems? That the firmware was built without this property enabled? Adding it to the file, though, doesn't do anything (or am I misunderstanding how the build.prop file works? Do I need to do a data reset or something first? I've never found a clear explanation of how this file is used by the OS or if it's just an FYI file).

Nothing has worked, can't think of anything else to try, so at this point I'm giving up.

Last edited:

z4a007

Feb 26, 2011
You can pull Contacts.apk from the 2.3.1 SDK and push it onto the tablet.
I got the sdk and dowloaded the 2.3 platform but I can't find contacts.apk inside.
Can you point me to any docs explaining how to do that for a total newbie?
TIA

TioSolid

Jan 25, 2011
For those in need, attached is a package with the .APKs from the 2.3.1 SDK. It includes:
- LatinIME.apk (default Gingerbread keyboard);
- GoogleContactsSyncAdapter.apk (used to be able to sync Contacts with Google);
- GoogleCalendarSyncAdapter.apk (used to be able to sync the Calendar with Google);
- ContactsProvider.apk
- Contacts.apk
- Calendar.apk
- CalendarProvider.apk

Attachment: View attachment $apps231.zip
Offsite download: apps231.rar