HAIPAD MID701 w/ HDMI out and USB - stuck on white screen!

tk421jag

Dec 9, 2010
I've been working for 5 hours to fix this problem but have had no luck. I just got my tablet in the mail today. I charged it for a few hours and then turned it on and it made some Android sounds and went to a white screen. And there it stayed.

I plugged it up to my computer (Windows Vista) and it made a sound and the white screen came back. The computer would not recognize the tablet. I've installed driver after driver and none of them are working. The device isn't recognized by my computer.

I've tried a different mini-USB cable and that did nothing.

I've held down every button I can find for 5-20 secs. Nothing.

Does anyone have any idea what to do about this? I'm not finding anything online.

I can't reset it or root it because it isn't recognized by my computer.

Any ideas or help would be awesome!

tk421jag

Dec 9, 2010
I will try that and get back to you. I took a whole day off from work to receive this package and now I'm stuck with a really cool looking tablet flashlight. That's about all it is right now.

tk421jag

Dec 9, 2010
Ok. Now my computer recognizes the tablet. That's great. Thanks! But now I have no clue what to do next. I was going to try to reinstall the firmware, but the it doesn't seem to be loading in FWDN properly.

tk421jag

Dec 9, 2010
I've been working on this tablet for 8 hours now. I'm done. What a piece of crap! I'm returning it. If anyone has any last minute ideas, please let me know. Otherwise, I'm sending it back next Monday. I ordered this from Bigboxstore.com. I suggest everyone stay away from them because they've done nothing to help me.

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
I haven't collected the information for this tablet yet. Hadn't gotten around to it and I don't have the budget.

But the general advice for a white screen is a firmware reflash. You must first identify the revision of your tablet though.

http://www.haipad.net/download.asp

Instructions:

The firmware you want is probably this one: http://u.115.com/file/f4bc7e06d

If you have the MID701-R, try this one: http://u.115.com/file/f4338dd0b1

It will boot up in Simplified Chinese

Use a GOOD usb cable. The factory supplied one may not work.

Haipad recently isued a statement about 'fake' MID701s. So there's a chance this is one of them. Sorry I didn't see your post.

Last edited by a moderator:

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
Right now I do not know if there are differences between M701R and M701 firmware flashing. You might have to look for the one specific for your model.

This video shows how to get into the M701R:

Last edited by a moderator:

tk421jag

Dec 9, 2010
Nope. I still have a white screen. I'm pretty sure this is a real one and not fake. I saw that message on the Haipad website. I can flash the tablet. It makes Android sounds as well (though it hasn't since I flashed it).

tk421jag

Dec 9, 2010
Now that you mention it, this tablet doesn't have a sticker on the back of it with the serial number. This may be fake then. I got it from bigboxstore.com.

tk421jag

Dec 9, 2010
I've been speaking back and forth with the company that I got the tablet from, and they said that it's a cable that is detached inside the unit. They sent instructions and videos on how to open it. But you know...............screw that! I could open it and fix myself but I paid for a working tablet. They are going to fix this one or send a new one. I wasted an entire day trying to fix this POS.

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
Hey tk421jag. I just got off instant messanging with haipad. The cable detachment is a common issue that happens during shipment. It is an easy fix. After you do this, the unit will be perfectly fine.

You are really close to a working M701.

If you do choose to return this, I'm sorry that it didn't work out for you. But the video cord detachment is one of the downfalls of a product that had to cut some corners. The M701 is one of the most popular Android tablets in the market today because it is one of the better ones in terms of bang-for-buck.

strider_mt2k

Nov 22, 2010
I can't say that I blame you.
I have experience taking stuff apart, but I don't expect to HAVE to on a brand new toy.

If they will cover it under warranty I say go for it.
Some of my coolest and longest lived devices were "the one after the first one" so don't lose hope!

I liked my M701-R right out of the box, but with a little tweaking it is a very very cool device.
In my case tweaking is installing the latest firmware and rooting the device, but it could be as simple as finding that perfect "suite" of apps that does it all for you.

Best of luck with the replacement. I'm sure it will be great.

TRaCoN

Nov 30, 2010
Hi guys. I have been reading since I got mine yesterday and my problem is a white screen same as @tk421jag's problem. I heard sounds from the device sometimes but still the screen is white. Do you think this is a cable detachment or short circuit problem?

tk421jag

Dec 9, 2010
Hey folks. Well....about 11pm last night I weighed my options. Sending it back will cost me more in shipping plus I'll have to wait longer to get a tablet. So....I rolled up my sleeves and took it apart.

I fixed it.

The screen ribbon was, in fact, the problem. These are step by step instructions of what I did. You'll need: Credit card or gift card, tweezers, super glue, screw driver, and a wire tie (like the one that wraps up the cable on the charger that came with the tablet).

1. Use a credit card or a gift card to separate the touch top from the body of the tablet. I'd recommend not using a credit/gift card you don't want to mess up. The one that I used got really messed up because of the force it took to pry the lid up. There are some other tools you can use to do this, but a gift card worked fine for me.

2. Be careful when you get the lid off. There is a small touch screen ribbon that is attached to the motherboard. This is not where the problem lies. You'll need to use some tweezers to remove this from the motherboard. There should be a grey sliding piece of plastic holding the ribbon in place. Be careful and remove the ribbon then separate the touch top from the tablet.

3. Unscrew the actual screen from the tablet. There is probably a total of 4 screws with brackets holding the screen in. Don't lose then because they are very small screws.

4. The ribbon that you need to worry about is on the back of this screen and is a little less than an inch wide. It is held in place by a similar piece of plastic as the touch top was. You'll likely need to remove a few pieces of tape to expose it. On my tablet, this piece of plastic was broken and was barely holding the ribbon in place. I took a chance and started the unit up and wiggled the ribbon. Tada! The screen turned from white to black with the android in the corner. I gasped and smiled.

5. Using tweezers, I pulled the piece of plastic out to unlock the ribbon entirely from the motherboard. It was still attached on one side of it, but loose and broken on the other side.

6. I started the unit up a few times with the ribbon inserted just so I could gauge what the correct way looked like and to make sure that this was indeed the problem. When the screen images look correct and you feel like everything looks right, hold the bracket in place against the ribbon and go to the next step.

7. To fix the broken bracket, I used a very unorthodox technique. I used super glue and a wire tie with plastic around it. The wire tie was actually off of the charger cable that came with the tablet. You can probably do something a little better than this if you think about it. But it worked for me and is still working in my tablet. If it breaks or comes loose, then I'll worry about it.

8. Cut a piece of the wire tie that is long enough to wedge between the battery and this broken bracket. I think the one I cut was about 1/4 of an inch long. I trimmed it with some nail clippers until it was the right length. Dab some glue on the broken plastic side of the bracket. Bend the wire tie towards the bracket so that it stays in place. Hopefully the glue will hold it permanently. Macgyver would be proud.

9. Put everything back together like it was. Make double sure that the touch top is back in place properly. Mine wasn't and the touch was off extremely bad.

10. Boot it up and see if everything works.

Let me know if you have any problems.