Has anyone found a way to get an external SD Card recognized??

Wingcheck

Apr 3, 2012
I'm very new to Android and just recently purchased an Acer a500 32gb tablet. Lo and behold, I discovered that when I put in a 32 gb external card, the OS (3.2) doesn't recognize it. After a little digging, I sadly discovered that neither Gingerbread nor Ice Cream Sandwich recognizes an external sd card. The big question here is, has anyone found a workaround for this??

Wingcheck.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
You should have access to the SD card but just not be able to store apps and their data on it. Yes, there is a work around but it requires root access, so you must have a rooted device. At that point you can change a couple of lines in the code to mount the SD card as a more usable drive. You will need to check out the Acer section to see if you can root your device.

leeb

Jul 16, 2011
Tho I have little (meaning NO) experience with 'the newer androids' I have to ask...

What format is on the card? Something incompatible perhaps?

:)

bezoar

Oct 4, 2011
I don't have your particular tablet, but on my Honeycomb 3.2.1 device I can set the default storage location to either internal storage or the external sd card. I go to "settings, storage" and at the top the default storage location can be selected. All apps are then installed to that location. You can also access the sd card using a file manager such as ES File Explorer.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that the sd card should be formatted using the FAT32 system.

Sent from my VTAB1008 using Android Tablet Forum

leeb

Jul 16, 2011
Since my last post, I now have (2) tablets with Gingerbread (2.3.3) on them... tho one is 'brain-dead' right now...
They are not 'brand-name' (unless 'cheap Chinese Junk' is a brand name :rolleyes: ) but they accept external cards. I do not have a 32gb card to test in them... and it is possible that they cant handle those, but every other card I own works fine!
Ensure they are FAT32...

If you meant 'Honeycomb or ICS' then...
Nothing else I can offer... :D

Last edited: