Headphones and tablets

simonmecina

Feb 7, 2014
First a comment (maybe a solution) then my question. I plugged a cheapo pair of mp3 player headphones into my tablet, then played music on youtube. I heard a horrible distant whine until the music started playing, and of course the music drowned out the whine. However, I then viewed a talk on youtube and heard the same whine but it was worse because the sound of the voices didn't drown out the whine. So, I uploaded a music file and video into the tablet and got the same whine. Undaunted, I thought it might be the phones, so I jacked in a 30-year-old pair of sony MDR-50 phones and hey presto, no more whine from anywhere. So if anyone else has this prob, I'd guess it's the phones. However, now the question. Why did my very old phones cut out the whine? And 2nd, when I buy a new pair of phones what do I look out for so I don't repeat the unwanted whine experience?

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Why did my very old phones cut out the whine?

Hi again Simon,

Since the old phones worked fine, and I assume the same would be true if you played sound through the tablet speaker, the "cheapo" phones appear to be defective and should be returned if possible. Most likely, the whine was not "cut out" by the old phones, it was introduced by the "cheapo" phones.:(

when I buy a new pair of phones what do I look out for so I don't repeat the unwanted whine experience?

Just don't get defective "cheapo" phones again and you should be OK.:cool:

simonmecina

Feb 7, 2014
Thanks again... I tried out your assumption and you were correct, there was no whine when I played a youtube talk with the sound on max via the tablet's own speakers. Happiness :)

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Happiness :)

Glad to hear everything's OK now.

Some additional thoughts,

!.) Maybe you don't really need new phones. The Sony ones you already have should be capable of reproducing anything the tablet can put out. It's not exactly a high end audio system.

2.) In your other thread, you mentioned you were getting a MSD for your tablet. An external Micro SD Card (MSD) is and always was intended as space to store your media files. Books, pictures, videos, movies, music files etc. are what you should be putting there. Try to avoid putting things in the internal memory that don't have to go there. (BTW I buy the least expensive Class 4 cards available, but from a reliable store, and have never had a problem.)