Hello everyone

nakedland

Dec 22, 2011
Hello to all, I'm Kel and thanks for helping newbies like myself. Your posts are so informative.

Well, let's get things started. My first (of many) questions:

Do all tablets require you to purchase a monthly service to us?? We were reading some websites that had tablets for sale and they said "no monthly service fee's for this model" so made us wonder.

Wasn't sure if we had to tie them in to our cell company. We have a wireless router at home.

Thanks.

Kel

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Hello Kel, welcome to Android tablets and congratulations on your new tablet Nice to have you as a member of the forum. Not all tablet require a monthly contract. Many tablets like my Nook don't even have 3G/4G and are WiFi only. If you purchase a tablet through a phone company at a discount, they will generally require you to sign a monthly service contract. When the contract is up, you can continue to use the tablet using WiFi only.

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
hello Kel and Spider has it completely correct. You will only need to have a monthly contact if you get it from a vendor that requires it (usually in order to give a discounted price). At this point I think all tablets have a WiFi only version, then as long as you have access to a WiFi signal you are good to go.

Welcome to the forum BTW, glad to have you here!

Peter

nakedland

Dec 22, 2011
OK all, next question(s),
Have been reading thru here religiously for the past few weeks. All the good and bad. Read reviews on CNET too. The Kindle Fire seems like a nice starting tablet. There are so many technical things with tablets that it leaves our heads spinning. (how much ram, memory cards, slots, etc.)If you pro's were to suggest tablets that might be similar/close to a Kindle Fire, what direction would you point us in? It seems the androids are much nicer for us, according to you all, but for elderly folks like us who know little about all of this, we just don't know where to and what to look at. After weeks of reading, I finally need help. Thanks

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Hello again Kel,
It sounds very much like you've already decided what you want, and just want someone else to tell you to get that Kindle Fire.:rolleyes: I'm assuming, from your comments, you're looking for a tablet you can just turn on and enjoy the way it comes from the factory without modifying it in any way. That being the case, I don't think you'd go wrong with the Fire. The hardware seems good, and you'll have access to a good App library, books, and movies right out of the box. However, I'd recommend you go to a store and play with some tablets to make sure the 7" size is what you want.
Ultimately, the final decision is yours. This is your "perfect tablet", not mine or anyone else. If you're still not sure, I'd suggest you click this link and go to the http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/android-tablet-discussions/ section. When you magically arrive there, read the "Sticky:" posts at the beginning and then look through some of the threads already posted there. If you have a question about something already being discussed, "Reply to Thread" and ask your question. If anything occurs to you that's not being discussed, "Post New Thread". The folks there should help you decide which tablet to get.
Most important, enjoy yourself. You only get to buy your first tablet once.:cool:

nakedland

Dec 22, 2011
Oh, I missed that stuff to read. Thanks so much. Maybe we are leaning to the Fire but I keep reading so many positives about other's but I just get confused by all the tech stuff. I'm assuming (not a good thing..LOL) that getting one with a card slot to add more memory is a good thing since everyone talks it up so much. OK, I'm off the read your link. Thanks so much