[HELP] Bricked tablet - Any Ideas???

Claian

Dec 27, 2010
Hey guys,
Just a post to let you all know that i've managed to brick my device.

I was applying the C60B11 build and wandered off (i have a 6 month old who demanded my attention.)
Normally i get an OK message and have to remove the battery to reboot.

However this time my tablet has a black screen.
Nothing i do results in any response from the tablet at all.
Nothing lights up.

I've removed and replaced the battery and have tried both with charger in and out..

As i wasn't looking at the tablet at the time i've no idea what could have gone wrong.

I was using the SD card method, which is the same i have used for the last half a dozen flashes.

Johnboyjr

Dec 28, 2010
Hey guys,
Just a post to let you all know that i've managed to brick my device.

I was applying the C60B11 build and wandered off (i have a 6 month old who demanded my attention.)
Normally i get an OK message and have to remove the battery to reboot.

However this time my tablet has a black screen.
Nothing i do results in any response from the tablet at all.
Nothing lights up.

I've removed and replaced the battery and have tried both with charger in and out..

As i wasn't looking at the tablet at the time i've no idea what could have gone wrong.

I was using the SD card method, which is the same i have used for the last half a dozen flashes.

did you try formatting your sd card and putting the bb rom on it

Claian

Dec 27, 2010
The problem is the device is a brick.. it doesn't power on.
I cant put any firmware on it in its current state

ivyvisors

Dec 29, 2010
Claian,

I've had this happen once, I was able to get the sdcard restore going again by pulling the battery placing the sdcard back in, placing the battery in and powering on the device. Eventually it said OK.

There are other ways to restore the firmware too, using the Huawei software, also fastboot can flash the images too.

To be honest, I really think we should warn people about changing their firmware on their devices, as my partner and I have played round with other types of embeded linux we're quite comfortable with some of the odd ways one needs to go about backing out of a bad firmware upgrade. It's not for the faint of heart, and not something that the faint of heart should try.

~Ivy

Claian

Dec 27, 2010
Ivy, thanks for the hope that I'll be able to get it working again.
I'll have to wait until tomorrow before I try it now, working evenings atm.

I went into the flashing with expectations that this could happen, I primarly bought the device to play with and see what it could do, it has been so useful in the last fee weeks that I've gotten very attached to it. I find myself using it a LOT more than I thought I would for normal use. In fact I rarely jump on the computer now if I'm just browsing as the S7 does such a good job.

Either way I'll keep perservering with it and if I can't get it to work I'll see how much Telstra want to "repair" it. Especially since it won't power on at the moment, they may not notice I was putting other firmware onto it.

Claian

Dec 27, 2010
Still no luck,

No matter what i do the device is completely unresponsive, no lights, no LEDs, nothing.

Went into Telstra today, unsurprisingly they were no help at all. They did say that as long as i bought in proof of purchase they are happy to send it of under warranty as there is no water or drop damage to it.
Unfortunately I'm out of town, so i have to wait.

Back home tomorrow, So I'll take it back to the store i bought it from and send it off for "repair."

As it is, i think I'll pick up another one to use whilst this one is off for repair. Been planning on getting one for my wife for her birthday anyway. This way i can customise it for her before i give it to her.

Does anyone know of any websites that charge less than $30 to unlock them? The cheapest I've found so far is about $35, Telstra are trying to charge $100. no big surprise there though.

ivyvisors

Dec 29, 2010
Claian, I notice you're in geelong, in melbourne much as I work in melbs (live a bit further out east tho.) I might be able to help.

~Ivy

pvella

Dec 20, 2010
Ivy and others,

There seems to be a lot of Melbourne based folk using this device. Perhaps we could have a local user's group lunch or something. Happy to help anyone with ROM flashing or A2SD setup. I will also be looking at unlocking my phone from Telstra's shackles sometime.

buzzman

Dec 8, 2010
Hey Ivy-

Maybe I can hop on a plane and join you!!! lol

Anyone in north jersey interested in starting a group?? HAVE NETBOOK, WILL TRAVEL!!

Sent from my Ideos S7

Claian

Dec 27, 2010
Hey guys.
Just a quick update to let you all know that I have an S7 back up and running in a fashion.
The guy I deal with at JB ended up replacing it in store due to lack of any physical or water damage.

Ivy, and the others in Aus. Especially vic, I'd love to be part of a users group.
I don't think ill be playing around with this one just yet.. I need it to be in working order next week for a trip out of town where it will be my only net connection

Sent from my sdk using Android Tablet Forum App