Help for Possibly Hardbricked Coby Kyros 1024n

Jef

Jan 22, 2012
Good day guys. I would like to ask for help for a possibly hardbricked Coby Kyros 1024, with 1024n board.

What happened is I lent the tablet to a child visiting my house for him to play with. After a few hours, I saw him charging the tablet with another charger! The unit won't turn on after that. There is no backlight or anything shown on the screen, but there is a continuous blue light on the center circle button. The side keys (back, menu etc) turn up white when the power button is pressed. The side keys just stay lit after releasing the power button and doesn't turn off. The center circle stays blue (with some blinking red) and never turns off too.

I looked at the culprit charger and luckily its also 9v, but only 1A. It doesn't indicate what polarity though.

I tried doing the method for reviving a bricked kyros by flashing "u-boot-SD.bin.mid703v3.mm" using Winimage, then placing GingerEvo ROM on the Fat32 partition. I tried pressing the power+center circle button but nothing happens, only the side keys light up then turns off after a few seconds.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Jef

Last edited:

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
First, are you sure it has a 1024n board?

If yes, and nothing was done to the system files then I think it's not just a normal brick, unfortunatelly. Soft or hard brick usually happen when trying to flash a firmware, if all that was done was using a different charger, then I guess you have a defective device.

To make sure, use a 4GB microSD to create the ressurecting card, open the tablet and turn it on while keeping the Home button pressed and short-circuit NAND pins 7 & 8 (there is a thread with pics if you need help doing this) and the ressurecting microSD is in the external slot. If LCD turns on (you will see a white light from its back) then maybe it's not really dead yet...

Jef

Jan 22, 2012
Yes I'm pretty sure it has a 1024n board. I used the method on how to ID the board before I used one of your custom firmwares months ago.

Yeah, the problem only appeared after I used the wrong charger. I think its really broken.

I'll send my tablet to repair. Thanks.

Jef

Russ450

Mar 11, 2012
Yes I'm pretty sure it has a 1024n board. I used the method on how to ID the board before I used one of your custom firmwares months ago.

Yeah, the problem only appeared after I used the wrong charger. I think its really broken.

I'll send my tablet to repair. Thanks.

Jef

Yes you will have to do that because you do have a defective device. All electronics that are portable and need charged have a range of charging. Like for example: The Coby Kyros MID7016 has a DC IN 5V. So,if you put a charger in that device that is larger like a 7V or 8V,you just baked yourself a defective device.