Unbrick or update Coby Kyros 7024 with gingerbread firmware...!!!!

Was this help full?

• Total voters

nefirim

Developer
Sep 10, 2011
Hey everyone, thanks to Arlic, a solution to the hard brick has been found! First you want to follow this guide : [Guide] Reviving your tablet in windows. - SlateDroid.com to setup your external SD card. Do not follow steps 5.2 and 5.3 even though your tablet has a NAND. once you have completed the guide, open the back of your tablet, insert the sd card into the EXTERNAL sd card slot. and look for the Nand chip. You will want to short pins 7 & 8 on the NAND, using a small screwdriver or piece of metal that can fit between the pins. What this does is make it look like there is no NAND to the processor, so it doesn't try to boot from it, and looks for the bootloader on the external SD. if your SDcard is setup right, the tablet should turn on with a white screen. if this happens, you can take the screwdriver off the pins, that way the board sees there is a NAND now and will write the firmware to the NAND. let it run till it shuts off. once it does, you can put on a new firmware using the normal flash procedure "Power + HOME" and you do not have to short the pins a second time. Be aware that when you flash a firmware the second time, the screen will still be white, so you will have to let it run till the tablet turns off, but once you turn it on, it should be normal ( if you use the official firmware like I did. I don't know what the results will be if you use another custom firmware :p )

cuida

Jul 22, 2011
I'd like to know if now with the tablets unbricked, the ROMs improvement that the members here was performing will continue... I'd like to see a Gingerbread Wiceed's ROM with the adjustments I mentioned before.

flxrms

Developer
Mar 23, 2011
I'd like to know if now with the tablets unbricked, the ROMs improvement that the members here was performing will continue... I'd like to see a Gingerbread Wiceed's ROM with the adjustments I mentioned before.

what adjustment do you like? We already shared a Gingerbread ROM that everything works!

flxrms

Developer
Mar 23, 2011
Really? What is the link to this?
Anyway, this is what I was telling:
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...-7024-gingerbread-firmware-47.html#post128875

We now have a fully working gingerbread rom for 7024 and 8024 tablet..with every features working (Volume hardware button, Rotation, Camera, Softbutton) + more like Overlock Cpu, longer battery life, BLUETOOTH, 3G, Network Location via Wifi working, rooted and Full Market access. :)

steev release a modified Evolution rom now at v2 for 7024
nefirim release a modified AllDro2 rom for 8024
i also shared a modified Genesis rom for both 7024 and 8024

Last edited:

cuida

Jul 22, 2011
Tnx, I found it... I'm using the Evo now.... that rom is really good... the touch is a little bit less sensitive than the wiceed's rom, but the all working features make it the best, including market apps compatibility.

cainwild

Oct 12, 2011
hey there my name is cain and im new to the fourm. i would like to upgrade to one of the latest working releases. i got a coby 7024 that i won for free from a contest, if some one could post a version and a breif explation on how to update i would appreciate it. not to worried if anything happens to it i usually use my laptop for outside use but wanted to see if i can get it to run the latest working version. thanks again in advance for your help

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
hey there my name is cain and im new to the fourm. i would like to upgrade to one of the latest working releases. i got a coby 7024 that i won for free from a contest, if some one could post a version and a breif explation on how to update i would appreciate it. not to worried if anything happens to it i usually use my laptop for outside use but wanted to see if i can get it to run the latest working version. thanks again in advance for your help

Look for the custom ROM thread for 7024, it got all you need.

brunori

Jan 19, 2012
Is it possible to format/imaging/restore the internal NAND/SD without open the tablet?
Maybe by booting from external SD with some kind of linux on a SD, maybe with an USB keyboard attached!

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
Contrary to popular knowledge, imaging internal SD won't give you a complete system backup. It will include system files at most, no u-boot and no kernel.

And there isn't CWM for 1024 (or any Kyros x024 AFAIK), nandroid backups won't be useful either because they cannot be restored.

Complete firmware restoration must be created manually, there is another thread going on about it somewhere else in the forum.