Help me make a decision, please!!

Starchild

Jul 14, 2012
Hello community,i want to buy a tablet, up to 300 €.

And I have a doubt for which to buy, and i would like to get your opinion, I'm torn between buying the 16gb Sony S tablet (€ 299) or if I should wait for google nexus 7 (250 € -280 €)(it arrives in my country in septembre-october, and the prices should be arround that),

differences:
Sony = 9.4'' | | nexus = 7''
Sony = dual core Tegra 2 | | nexus =Tegra 3 quad-core
Sony accepts SD, nexus does not
Both can not use HDMI (I think,not sure about sony S).

Now I need your help to help me choose wich one is the best purchase, the tablet will be used to surf the Internet, read e-books, watching movies / series in HD, and play games in HD, I need the tablet to be completely fluid and capable of performing these functions.

Some questions:

As the nexus is a google device, this means that I will never have trouble updating. In this sense what would be the disadvantage of having a Sony tablet? Sony will not have updates?

The nexus is quad-core and sony is dual-core (I think the only difference in hardware for performance is here), this will be a big difference in use?

If you was me,what you were buying? What you advise me to do?

Thanks for the help!!!! hope you can make me less confused :x

Regards,
SChild

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
Welcome and thanks for joining us starchild!

I think the biggest thing here is what form factor you like.

Some users like the larger (9-10") others like the smaller (7-8")

Is there a difference in performance? Yes, but most apps cannot unleash the full power of the Tegra3.

I personally have a microSD and an SD in my tablet (64 GB each) with media on it for when I travel. I think the Nexus7 would be limiting for me for what I use my 10" tablet for because I am used to having so much space for movies and such.

As far as updates, the Nexus7 has already been updated to 4.1.1. Yes, updates will happen quick, and straight from Google. For the Sony, I cannot comment how quick they are to update, but they got ICS out to their tablets before most others did so I would not worry too much about updates.

IMO, the Nexus7 is a great tablet if you want something that will (barely) fit in your pocket and is easy to take somewhere. You are not going to find many pockets the 9.4" Sony is going to fit into, but it does have a larger screen which some prefer. It is more about the screen size you are looking for than the specs of the tablet.

Starchild

Jul 14, 2012
Hello community,i want to buy a tablet, up to 300 €.

And I have a doubt for which to buy, and i would like to get your opinion, I'm torn between buying the 16gb Sony S tablet (€ 299) or if I should wait for google nexus 7 (250 € -280 €)(it arrives in my country in septembre-october, and the prices should be arround that),

differences:
Sony = 9.4'' | | nexus = 7''
Sony = dual core Tegra 2 | | nexus =Tegra 3 quad-core
Sony accepts SD, nexus does not
Both can not use HDMI (I think,not sure about sony S).

Now I need your help to help me choose wich one is the best purchase, the tablet will be used to surf the Internet, read e-books, watching movies / series in HD, and play games in HD, I need the tablet to be completely fluid and capable of performing these functions.

Some questions:

As the nexus is a google device, this means that I will never have trouble updating. In this sense what would be the disadvantage of having a Sony tablet? Sony will not have updates?

The nexus is quad-core and sony is dual-core (I think the only difference in hardware for performance is here), this will be a big difference in use?

If you was me,what you were buying? What you advise me to do?

Thanks for the help!!!! hope you can make me less confused :x

Regards,
SChild

Hello Frederuco, thanks for welcome :) i was looking for a forum like this one, congrats for it.

I found your answer very usefull, about the size being the main point, this tablet will be my first, so i dont have any experience with tablets , so i ask you, do you think 7'' is enough to see well movies in HD??

About the updates, when sony makes a update is for compatible with all sony tablets? So in near future, if i buy sony S, i will be able to use for example android 5.0??

Sony tablets are able to use google play??

Thanks for help :)

Regards,
SChild

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
I think the 7" tablet is big enough to watch HD on, but I would recommend going to a store and checking out a 7" tablet.

As far as Android 5.0, it is too tough to tell....

Android 4.0 is ICS, the next version is Jelly Bean which is 4.1. Who knows if 4.2 or 5.0 will be next. One would assume that most name brand tablets released in the past 6 months should get 4.1, but it is hard to know.

I am pretty sure Sony tabs can use the Google Play store, but check the Sony forum to see for sure, or check the specs on the Sony website. Just checked, and the Sony S is Google Play enabled.

Starchild

Jul 14, 2012
I think the 7" tablet is big enough to watch HD on, but I would recommend going to a store and checking out a 7" tablet.

As far as Android 5.0, it is too tough to tell....

Android 4.0 is ICS, the next version is Jelly Bean which is 4.1. Who knows if 4.2 or 5.0 will be next. One would assume that most name brand tablets released in the past 6 months should get 4.1, but it is hard to know.

I am pretty sure Sony tabs can use the Google Play store, but check the Sony forum to see for sure, or check the specs on the Sony website. Just checked, and the Sony S is Google Play enabled.

yes i know, 5.0 was just a example :p

Ok , so to finnish my question, imagine display size doesnt matter for me, you advise me to wait for nexus 7? or go ahead with sony S? If was you, what u would do? xD

And what you think about lower brands?? Like "archos" i just saw on my shop website, archos 80 with A9 dual-core 1,5 ghz , android 4.0,display 8'', GPU(ES 2.0)+HDMI and 3G !! for 260€ only... arghh i real dont know what to do and what to buy :x, what you would do with my budget?? Sorry to be so "confused", i just want to know what i should buy, and because my knowledge isnot so much, i have alot of doubts!

Thanks!

Last edited:

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
Hi Starchild, I have a 7" tablet and I watch movies on it.....great I don't think it's too small for that! But when I bought it,I chose the 7" because I use to take everywhere, very portable! Now that I have a note to take everywhere, I'm ready for a 10", I'm sure that to watch movies on a 10" can only be better . What you have to ask yourself also is if you need extra storage or not. Sony has the slot for the micro sd card, nexus tablet doesn't.
Hope I helped :)

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
idontknow said:
Hi Starchild, I have a 7" tablet and I watch movies on it.....great I don't think it's too small for that! But when I bought it,I chose the 7" because I use to take everywhere, very portable! Now that I have a note to take everywhere, I'm ready for a 10", I'm sure that to watch movies on a 10" can only be better . What you have to ask yourself also is if you need extra storage or not. Sony has the slot for the micro sd card, nexus tablet doesn't.
Hope I helped :)
You know, external storage really is the big issue right now. With the price of storage coming down so quickly, it may not be soon, all tablets will probably come with 32, 64, 128 (?) who knows but now lack of external storage is a big factor, at least to me.

Sent from my Sony Tablet P using Android Tablet

Starchild

Jul 14, 2012
Hi guys, thanks for replys =)

About storage, i know that u can connect USB pen disk to nexus 7, so it's almost the same thing right??

About low brands tablets what u think? like archos 80

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
Hi guys, thanks for replys =)

About storage, i know that u can connect USB pen disk to nexus 7, so it's almost the same thing right??

About low brands tablets what u think? like archos 80

Almost the same thing, except having a USB cable hanging out. It is nice to have a tablet without needing anything sticking out like a USB dongle if you need to use external storage. The 64 GB microSD is nice to have in my tablet.

Comparing to the archos 80, the Nexus has a quad core vs dual core.

Nexus can watch 720p at native resolution, the Archos will have to scale it down slightly as the screen is not 1280 pixels wide.

Archos has a microSD slot so you can expand the amount of on board storage and also has 8 GB or 250 GB versions (250 GB uses a mechanical drive which typically consumes more power and is not as durable)

Nexus is running Jelly Bean 4.1, Archos runs ICS 4.0

Nexus - 1.2 MP camera, Archos - 0.9 MP camera

Archos 80 - 8" vs Nexus 7 at 7"

Starchild

Jul 14, 2012
Almost the same thing, except having a USB cable hanging out. It is nice to have a tablet without needing anything sticking out like a USB dongle if you need to use external storage. The 64 GB microSD is nice to have in my tablet.

Comparing to the archos 80, the Nexus has a quad core vs dual core.

Nexus can watch 720p at native resolution, the Archos will have to scale it down slightly as the screen is not 1280 pixels wide.

Archos has a microSD slot so you can expand the amount of on board storage and also has 8 GB or 250 GB versions (250 GB uses a mechanical drive which typically consumes more power and is not as durable)

Nexus is running Jelly Bean 4.1, Archos runs ICS 4.0

Nexus - 1.2 MP camera, Archos - 0.9 MP camera

Archos 80 - 8" vs Nexus 7 at 7"

Helo again Frederuco,

I think you are not understanding my doubt's, my really questions are more related to android market, i will try to put these in other way:

1) What is the difference of acquiring low cost tablet (or chinese tablet) , and a samsung/sony tablet with same specs but more expensive? Will the chinese not be compatible with all apps, that samsung/sony are?? Or both, will be able to do the same things? since they have same specs. So is worthable paying much more just to have a high brand tablet?? So what is your opinion about low brand tablets??

It's because this history of "getting always updates" that i am more oriented to nexus, not because hardware :p

2) I want a tablet with 7'' - 9,4'' display size, 1gb ram , dual-core cpu (or higher) ,8gb or more (if it can have SD),and HDMI output , my budget is 250€ , what you advise me? Considering all questions about compatibilities with android market app's

THankks!!!!!! :)

SChild

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
Helo again Frederuco,

I think you are not understanding my doubt's, my really questions are more related to android market, i will try to put these in other way:

1) What is the difference of acquiring low cost tablet (or chinese tablet) , and a samsung/sony tablet with same specs but more expensive? Will the chinese not be compatible with all apps, that samsung/sony are?? Or both, will be able to do the same things? since they have same specs. So is worthable paying much more just to have a high brand tablet?? So what is your opinion about low brand tablets??

It's because this history of "getting always updates" that i am more oriented to nexus, not because hardware :p

2) I want a tablet with 7'' - 9,4'' display size, 1gb ram , dual-core cpu (or higher) ,8gb or more (if it can have SD),and HDMI output , my budget is 250€ , what you advise me? Considering all questions about compatibilities with android market app's

THankks!!!!!! :)

SChild

Ok, lets try this again.

Your chance for app compatibility is higher with more popular (namebrand) tablets. But, there is no guarantee. I have an Asus Transformer and most of the Gameloft games are not compatible. The same games are compatible with Samsung, Acer and Motorola tablets with almost identical specs. (I am pretty sure this does not apply to the Nexus7 even though it is an Asus tablet).

Many users have had good luck here with the lower cost Chinese tablets. I personally would not buy one that is not a name brand myself.

If I had a 250 budget, I would opt for the Nexus7 16 GB at this point, but there are plenty of other tablets out there that may do what you want with more bang for the buck.

Starchild

Jul 14, 2012
I love your patience,Frederuco! :-D

Patience is one great quality :) And you should assume that not all users from this forum are "android veterans" :)

Ok frederuco, your answer was very clear , i think my destiny is to go for nexus 7, my problem with nexus 7 is that i have to wait more 2 months, because in my country, it will arrive on septembre-october :eek:

Thanks for answers,
SChild