HELP! New m701-R

Fault

Dec 4, 2010
I just got a M701 from pandawill for my gf, and I need some serious help. I got it rooted and everything, but Im having some trouble with it. When trying to push anything from adb, I always get a failed error saying called register_android_provider_mediastore . This isnt letting me install a lot of my apps, such as the droid x keyboard.

Aswell, any suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated. I have had a droid rooted and romd droid phone for about a year, just rooted my sister's nook color, and am about to do 2 more. I really want to get this tablet running at top speed, so any tweaks you can suggest TELL ME PLEASE!

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
First off good choice in tablet i have an m701 r and its my favorite. Just a heads up not everything will work on tablets, now have you installed clockwork recovery yet? if yes have you made a nandroid back up? if no do that first before you do anything else including just installed hacked apps because that could mess some stuff up and you need a starting point to get back to. For the installation of apps have you tried just copying them to an sd card and then using a file manager to install them from the sd card? i would try that first its super easy. Hope that helps and if you do have a stock nandroid back up of the m701 r or if you can make one will you please pm me thanks

OffWorld

Oct 5, 2010
You said you get the error "register_android_provider_mediastore" when you try to push "anything" via adb? "Anything" is a little vague. Are you talking about pushing .apk files? Files without an extension on the name? Applications or media files?

I'm no expert on this, but it is my understanding that "android provider" is a shortcut method other apps can use to access various kinds of meta data stored by an app (contacts, calenders, etc.) and "mediastore" is a sub-set of that for meta-data related to various media (audio, video, and image) files, for example the "Artist" info attached to a music file. The "register" part would be the "AndroidManifest.xml" file inside the .apk that is supposed to let Android know what kind of meta data the app is providing to the database.

My guess (not totally understanding how this all works) is that the file(s) you are pushing either can't register providers or are trying to query provider data that doesn't exist. How to fix? No idea. I'd guess editing the xml manifest file, but in what way I don't know.

I'm just going to toss this out there but you aren't by any chance renaming or unzipping the apk files before you push them are you?

Fault

Dec 4, 2010
You said you get the error "register_android_provider_mediastore" when you try to push "anything" via adb? "Anything" is a little vague. Are you talking about pushing .apk files? Files without an extension on the name? Applications or media files?

I'm no expert on this, but it is my understanding that "android provider" is a shortcut method other apps can use to access various kinds of meta data stored by an app (contacts, calenders, etc.) and "mediastore" is a sub-set of that for meta-data related to various media (audio, video, and image) files, for example the "Artist" info attached to a music file. The "register" part would be the "AndroidManifest.xml" file inside the .apk that is supposed to let Android know what kind of meta data the app is providing to the database.

My guess (not totally understanding how this all works) is that the file(s) you are pushing either can't register providers or are trying to query provider data that doesn't exist. How to fix? No idea. I'd guess editing the xml manifest file, but in what way I don't know.

I'm just going to toss this out there but you aren't by any chance renaming or unzipping the apk files before you push them are you?
Im pushing the APKs the same way I did it on the nook, which installed perfectly fine. I know about installing via astro, but things like the droid x keyboard, I have problems installing unless its via adb.

Btw one app I found that helps so much is lcd density. Makes the tablet look SO much better

Also is there any themes available for this? I hate the ugly ass stock white. On my droid had it rooted, recovery setup, and new rom withing 20 minutes of owning it

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
there are no themes for it yet you can install the cyanogen port but sense the tablet isnt for you i wouldnt do that because the port is missing some key features. And thats good that everything went to the nook well but there is something you have to remember these tablet arent like phones and especially arent like the droid the droid has a huge dev community behind it and has been out forever so people can work on it, these tablets dont have such a huge dev community and just because something works on a phone doesnt mean it will work on a tablet. But if you want more help i pm you and i will try and help you through there

Fault

Dec 4, 2010
How do I get clockwork recovery on the m701-r? I just want to get the right drivers and such

strider_mt2k

Nov 22, 2010
I'll second that. I keep reading about it but i can't find a working link to a version for the M701-R.

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
I'll second that. I keep reading about it but i can't find a working link to a version for the M701-R.

Try this http://www.mediafire.com/?xrk4cs8g37bb1tr unzip the files and then place them in the root directory of your computer where your adb files are located then connect your device and run the .bat file

Sent from my ADR6300 using Android Tablet Forum App

Fault

Dec 4, 2010
Just got done with finals, so gonna sink my teeth into this sucker now

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
Just got done with finals, so gonna sink my teeth into this sucker now

sweet hope you did good on your finals and i hope you have been enjoying messing with your tablet i am still waiting for a nandroid back up so i can assist you