Help with reading pdfs

Machinist60

Aug 28, 2011
I am new to android devices and struggling with reading pdfs.

I have a white 7" Pandigital with SH20_20110127_K_PD_INX7E_ENG_6410POP (2011 series) Vanilla Android homescreen.

I have copied some pdfs onto the device and the B&N app will open them but the text is way too small and there doesn't seem to be any way to zoom in. I tried converting them to epubs, same problem. I assume it's because the files contain images and not text and are displayed as a full page fitted to the screen size.

I downloaded and installed the Adobe pdf reader which is supposed to zoom, pan etc. but it does not see any of the pdf files. Is there a good solution to this?

How do I get to read my pdf files enlarged sufficiently so I can actually read them?

I have some grasp of how files a found in windows, is there an explanation someplace for this os?

Thanks for any help, John.

GRadu

Jun 24, 2011
I have a ViewSonic GTab so my experience (devices and apps) may not be helpful to you, but here is my experiences with this issue...

PDF files that are image pages are difficult to view unless the viewing app allows zoom in/ out. Adobe Reader ver. 10.0.2 does allow zoom and so works well with the PDF files that contain images. It works very well on the GTab.

Some PDF files are simply scanned pages of a book or manual and are the ones that are really images and cause problems...e.g search for text does not work either.

If your Adobe Reader does not see the file, use your file explorer on your device to navigate to the file and click/touch it, and the reader should launch to view the file.

I have kindle as well and do send PDF files to it , images pages are an issue but the kindle allows you to click on the image to enlarge.

Tell me more about what you are trying to do and I may be able to offer other ideas.

Sent from my VEGAn-TAB-v1.0.0B5.1 using Android Tablet Forum

exscentric

Nov 25, 2010
Using in landscape might give you a little more size.

There are other pdf readers around as well, but all will have similar limitations in the size of font area.

Search this forum and Slatedroid and you can find what others have tried. I don't use pdf so have not followed those threads.

Machinist60

Aug 28, 2011
Thanks for the replies. I was able to use the file explorer to find and open the pdfs, they are readable, but not spectacular. I am still facing a fairly steep learning curve for an android device. I would say that the touch functions on this particular device are pretty flakey but maybe I'll develop a better touch with practise.