Questions about Pandigital Novel

jazzybazz

Sep 1, 2011
Hello, I am looking for a small tablet/ereader specifically to read PDF files, any PDF file.

Can the Pandigital Novel read any PDF file just like a regular pc?? Or does it have problems with some PDF files? Will it read for example PDF files that have images in them? How much time does it take to load a page?

How much does the battery last on average?

Thank you very much

Last edited:

exscentric

Nov 25, 2010
Battery is around 6 but it depends on which firmware you use. Some do less, some worse.

PDFs work on it but not sure about ALL pdfs. They are rather small - ones I've tried were kind of worthless. If you need to do them I personally would go for a 10 inch or so tablet. Hope someone posts soon for you.

You might post at Slatedroid in the pandigital section if you don't find out here. Also you might try youtube to see more about the unit.

jazzybazz

Sep 1, 2011
thank you for you answer. of course, id like to specify that im talking about units that have android installed on them, not the stock os.

vader33

Sep 3, 2011
thank you for you answer. of course, id like to specify that im talking about units that have android installed on them, not the stock os.

The 7 inch white Pandigital Novel (as well as all the Pandigital tablets) come with the Android OS. The 7" White Novel comes with Android 2.0, the black with 1.5. It's recommended to go with the white, as Android 1.5 doesn't support the majority of apps people look for in an Android device. The "stock OS" you're referring to is the image, or home page, Pandigital installs on all their Novels. Pandigital offers what they call the Open Android firmware, which opens the Novel up to allow for direct downloading and installation of apps. I recommend using their firmware as opposed to a 3rd party developer (like the ones you'd find at Slatedroid.com) simply because in my experience the firmwares I've got from them tend to really bog my Novel down with unnecessary programs.

Now, as far as PDF's go, I have over 3 dozen PDF's installed on mine, and most have a lot of pictures. I have yet to have a problem reading them. Just remember the Pandigital Novel was designed as an e-reader first, not a tablet. If you're looking for high quality graphics, super fast speed, and the ablitily to download and install every app for Android, look at a Samsung Galaxy or HTC tablet. Hope my 2 cents helps.

-Marc

DarthBadger

Oct 16, 2011
The 7 inch white Pandigital Novel (as well as all the Pandigital tablets) come with the Android OS. The 7" White Novel comes with Android 2.0, the black with 1.5. It's recommended to go with the white, as Android 1.5 doesn't support the majority of apps people look for in an Android device. The "stock OS" you're referring to is the image, or home page, Pandigital installs on all their Novels. Pandigital offers what they call the Open Android firmware, which opens the Novel up to allow for direct downloading and installation of apps. I recommend using their firmware as opposed to a 3rd party developer (like the ones you'd find at Slatedroid.com) simply because in my experience the firmwares I've got from them tend to really bog my Novel down with unnecessary programs.

Now, as far as PDF's go, I have over 3 dozen PDF's installed on mine, and most have a lot of pictures. I have yet to have a problem reading them. Just remember the Pandigital Novel was designed as an e-reader first, not a tablet. If you're looking for high quality graphics, super fast speed, and the ablitily to download and install every app for Android, look at a Samsung Galaxy or HTC tablet. Hope my 2 cents helps.

-Marc

I was wondering where to copy the .PDF files to. I just bought my Pandigital Novel White and was hoping to put some .epub and .pdf files i already had on my computer onto the reader to read on the go, but i tried copying some to the "ebook" and "kindle" folders when i plug it up by usb to my computer...sorry to trail off, but how do i read the books that i copy to the reader from computer

exscentric

Nov 25, 2010
It depends on what firmware you are using as well as what reader.

List the firmware version and reader and someone should be able to help.

Also, know that if you remove the sd card and transfer your files to it then replace the sd card in the pandigital you will have to reboot the pandigital to get the files to show up in file explorer and I would guess in the readers.