Hi all, bought a Nook Color today... so ummm, now what?

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
There are certain things that need to be accomplished before one can take it to the edge. This is similar for a lot of android devices....

1) Root/Unlock it
2) Research custom recoveries like Clockwork Recovery
3) If one decides to install clockwork then...
4) Make a backup
5) Research custom Roms and Kernels (Examine threads on Roms and Kernels for errors or conflicts. Make sure it doesn't break your recovery or mess up internal memory)
6) Install a Rom through clockwork that you are sure about
7) Tinker with it if you want to be risky

Jaxidian

Jan 7, 2011
Ok I don't understand. What do you mean just root? Don't you have to install a new ROM when you root? Confusion is setting in....

If you're used to Windows, then consider a computer where you don't have an Administrator account. Rooting is similar to having your account upgraded from a peon user to an admin user account.

Installing a ROM is akin to upgrading from Windows XP to Windows 7. Or from Windows 7 Home Premium to Windows 7 Ultimate.

Both can be done separately (you can keep a peon user on both Windows XP and after you upgrade to Windows 7) or you can also do both (upgrade from Windows XP to Windows 7, and in the process upgrade your account to an admin user).

... kinda sorta like that...

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
You can sure do that...but like I said in another thread, when you move that far out into the wilderness, the availability of quick medical attention is severely diminished. For someone new to android, my advice stands, learn to crawl before you walk, and learn to walk before you run...

If that doesn't apply to you, cool...but for someone who says my advice is solid.

+1...Yes this is good advice

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Perhaps, for some. The entire reason I'm getting the NC is for the hacking of it and getting onto bleeding edge OSes. If it weren't for that, I wouldn't have bought one. ;)

Great, I am looking forward to hearing what works and doesn't out there on the edge! As has been said though, the edge is not for everybody particularly noobs asking for the basics. We need a good healthy dose of both for a stong community though :)

I myself am a middle of the pack person waiting for things to work the way I want rather than experimenting with bulids that I have to just "live with" though I'll ocassionally take a peak at how things are going out there on the edge.

Cheers,

JP

KDOG

Dec 29, 2010
SUCCESS! Man that was scary! Had the paper bag over my mouth and everything LOL. Let me play with this a bit before going higher, I'll probably wait till a stable version of the 3.0 comes out before doing this again. Thanks for your help guys! I'll be poppin back in here for all the info I can get!

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
SUCCESS! Man that was scary! Had the paper bag over my mouth and everything LOL. Let me play with this a bit before going higher, I'll probably wait till a stable version of the 3.0 comes out before doing this again. Thanks for your help guys! I'll be poppin back in here for all the info I can get!

You say that now...lol...give it a couple weeks.

I imagine we are a couple weeks away from a super solid 2.2 build (as in an official release from either B&N or the Dev community) or even 2.3 (which is what all the CM7 is going to be at this point) I don't see any super movement for honeycomb out there yet. All the HC builds are still based on the preview emulator and that will never work as a full fledged OS.

Regardless, welcome to the world of the rooted Nook Color! Enjoy the water, it feels great.

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
Weeks? I lasted all of hours before I was playing with things... then of course I messed up my NC, spent the next 20+ hours fixing it, and now understand how to break and fix it in under 20 minutes. :) Best tutorial was sweating bullets trying to fix it. I don't recommend that path though, let my pain be your salve, read the threads, ask questions, then play.

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
Weeks? I lasted all of hours before I was playing with things... then of course I messed up my NC, spent the next 20+ hours fixing it, and now understand how to break and fix it in under 20 minutes. :) Best tutorial was sweating bullets trying to fix it. I don't recommend that path though, let my pain be your salve, read the threads, ask questions, then play.

Says the man that was on a rooted 1.0.0 NC forEVER! lol

Now he is quite the authority on more of the outer fringe ROM's out there!

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
Yea, but that's only because I said I was going to leave good enough alone until Cm released, and I can't help it if they released like the next day? ;)

Anyways, between my house and friends, I have now successfully rooted 7 NOOKcolor's from all levels of stock to all available releases (except HC on eMMC). To wit, I have strong opinions on things I definitely don't know enough about to have said opinions. :) Uh oh....

Last edited by a moderator:

KDOG

Dec 29, 2010
Ok just did a basic root on it. Pretty nice. But the YouTube link worked for awhile and now doesn't. I also had some transparent menu type icons show up when I hit the arrow button and now they don't show up either. I may have done something in the settings...

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
Have you downloaded some apps yet? One to download for sure is titanium backup (it will allow you to clear the cache for the youtube app). You also need a home launcher like zeam or launcherpro (I am using both)

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
Ok just did a basic root on it. Pretty nice. But the YouTube link worked for awhile and now doesn't. I also had some transparent menu type icons show up when I hit the arrow button and now they don't show up either. I may have done something in the settings...

darmeen covered the YouTube issue, but it sounds like you lost your softkeys if you can't get the buttons to show up. Just open the Nook Menu bar, click on Extras, and you should have the market available. Immediately download Zeam which is a custom launcher and while you may find a launcher you like more later, this is a simple one that many of us use. Once it's installed, 'open' it from the market and you should get a nice menu screen similiar to android phones. Go into your app drawer and select the 'softkeys' app. You want to configure that to your liking, but there's a nice write up here: http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...uggestions-first-things-do-after-rooting.html

KDOG

Dec 29, 2010
Well I would but now I have a major problem. I have no keyboard what I do. What happened?

EDIT: Nevermind, I had Gingerbread keyboard selected in the tools area, I guess it didn't like that!

Last edited:

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
For some reason the gingerbread keyboard doesn't get installed correctly...you can use a file explorer like astro or Super Manager (becoming my ultimate fav app) and find the gingerbread.apk file and install it.