Having problems trying to root Nook Color...

LocalStain

Feb 10, 2011
I see some other articles having people plug their nook into a pc with a usb cable after inserting an sd card. Do i need to do anything like that or should the nook boot to the sd card I created without being hooked to a pc

This is an essential part of the process yes.

Redhawk

Feb 7, 2011
Ok, let's back up a bit. From what Im reading from you, your a tad bit lost in the rooting articles.
I think maybe you should start out with the easiest root path first.
Questions.
What Nook stock firmware are you running? 1.01 or 1.1
Once you know that then you may want to use the Autonooter file for the firmware your running.
That is the type of rooting that has you plug the usb cable to your nook and then your pc.
Make sure your nook is off before you plug the usb cabel in.

You may also consider using the froyo or CM7 card image and boot into android straight from the card leaving the stock firmware alone. This option will not require CWR on the card and if you remove the card you will have a stock nook.

Good luck and keep asking for help. The people on these forum will get you rooted if it kills you :)

Most important whatever way you decide to root, please read everything thrice. So as not to miss a step.

Sent from my rooted Nook Color using Android Forum App

LocalStain

Feb 10, 2011
You may also consider using the froyo or CM7 card image and boot into android straight from the card leaving the stock firmware alone. This option will not require CWR on the card and if you remove the card you will have a stock nook.

Good luck and keep asking for help. The people on these forum will get you rooted if it kills you :)
Thanks Redhawk. One of the issues we seem to be having is creating a bootable card to begin with. But I agree with you that somewhere along the way something is being over-looked. It's been a while since I rooted my NC but I rooted one for a buddy about a week ago and it was 1,2,3 done.

Squints2See

Mar 21, 2011
I have version 1.1...

As far as the steps that I am taking, I started from the very begninning of Faceman's complete idiot's guide to rooting the Nook which is a sticky in this forum. He states that you should back up your stock image before rooting the nook to make it easier to restore later if necessary. From his directions:

How to create a bootable CWR/Recovery mSD card
  1. If using a PC, download/install an image burning program such as Win32DiskImage (https://launchpad.net/win32-image-writer/+download)
  2. If using a Mac/Linux - find detailed instructions here (NookColor Rooting - nookDevs)
    1. Download a bootable CWR image file (Index of /nookdev/clockwork/0.7)
      - This file needs to be unpacked (winzip, winrar, 7zip, etc) until you have an appropriately sized *.img file.
      -Make sure you know where this file is stored, you will have to point the image burning program to it.
    2. Using the image burning program, burn the *.img file to the mSD you have for backup use.
    3. Once the image is burned, look at your card from My Computer
      -The drive will appear to have the capacity of the *.img file you downloaded
      -You should have a drive labeled "boot" with 4 files (mlo, u-boot, uImage, uRamdisk)
    4. Open the drive and add a folder "clockworkmod"
    5. Open clockworkmod folder and add a folder "backup"
    6. Safely remove the mSD from you PC
Creating a nand backup that is stored on the card
  1. With the NC powered off, insert the bootable CWR you created
  2. Power on the NC - you should see a skull and crossbones mini-boot animation
  3. Once you are booted into ClockworkMod Recovery you will use the physical buttons to navigate:
    (borrowed from (How To) Installing/Using ClockworkMod, Rom manager, nandroid backup, custom kernels)
    Code:
    CWR Controls:~Vol + -- Scroll Up~Vol - -- scroll down~N -- Select/Enter~Power -- Back
  4. Scroll down to "backup and restore" - press "n"
  5. Highlight "backup" - press "n" to start the nandroid backup process
  6. Wait, the backup process takes about 5 minutes and will return to the main menu when completed
  7. Scroll down to "mounts and storage" - press "n"
  8. Scroll down to "unmount sdcard" - press "n"
  9. Remove the CWR bootable from the NC
  10. Press power button to return to main menu
  11. Highlight "Reboot now" - press "n" (This will reboot NC)
These are the very first steps he tells you to do, so no my nook has not been rooted yet. This is suppose to be done before rooting the Nook. He also does not mention anything about having to hook up a usb cable to do this, but I just noticed other articles mentioning this somewhere in their process so I thought I would ask about it.

I did not have any success on my other PC for different reasons. I have two sd card readers on that darn thing and I cant get either one to format a card. It tells me my card is write protected even though it is not. Im ready to give up and just continue on without backing up the factory image....

LocalStain

Feb 10, 2011
I did not have any success on my other PC for different reasons. I have two sd card readers on that darn thing and I cant get either one to format a card. It tells me my card is write protected even though it is not. Im ready to give up and just continue on without backing up the factory image....

That may not be a bad idea. While the stock back-up is a nice thing to have if it is getting in the way of rooting.... My only worry is that this may be indicative of a deeper issue that may not be easy to undo after the fact.

Answers.com - How do you remove write protection from a micro SD card with transflash adapter This is out of left field.. I just Googled "write protected sd"
I ran across this problem recently when I tried copying some music from my pc to my phone. The odd thing was that it had worked fine for me a few weeks previously. Thinking it might be the card itself I purchased a new one but had no success with it either. I did some online research (this site included) and the consensus was that the lock tab on the side of the adapter was the culprit. I tried moving the lock tab to either end of the slide but still wasn't able to write to the card no matter what position it was in after repeated attempts. Finally I tried moving the tab partway between the lock/unlock positions and voila!, it finally worked. I used the same technique on the second adapter and had the same success. The cards and adapters are from two different companies so I wonder if maybe they have a common manufacturer that has an engineering/production problem in their line. Hopefully this experience will help a few people.

Another problem came from the laptop built-in adapter, by using an external usb adapter it worked fine.

I found that my micro sd had no lock tab to slide but my adapter to SD did. I never thought to check that with it being the converter. I hope that helps somebody.

Some card readers will actually move the lock slider when the adapter is slid into the reader. Since most adapter's 'unlock' position is toward the contact end, insertion into the reader can push the slider out of position. Either insert the adapter carefully while gently pushing in the opposite direction of the slider, or try a different adapter or different reader.
Note: There are comments associated with this question. See the discussion page to add to the conversation.

Squints2See

Mar 21, 2011
Well I got a little further, but still no dice...

I was able to successfully create the image file on the sd card using a program called Roadkil. It actually showed a progress bar and gave me a 100% completion verification when it was done, and the sd card only showed to be around 1gb (which is right since i used the 1gb clockwork image)

Problem is when I put it in the Nook and boot up, it still goes straight to the nooks os. Is there something I should be doing to get it to boot to the sd card? The guide makes it sound like you just put it in and boot up......

LocalStain

Feb 10, 2011
It should boot to the SD automatically. Are you rebooting with the SD in the NC? Just curious...Try holding down the N and power buttons simultaneously>with the nook powered off and the SD inserted...

Squints2See

Mar 21, 2011
yes the card is in the NC, just not booting to it.... just tried the n button with the power button to. No go. I dont know what else to try or do...

AnimaTechnica

Nov 4, 2010
it sounds like you are having hte Error 8 issue when trying to write with Win32 imager - can you confirm? if so you should have stated so in the first place or i just missed it - not sure if this is a solution that works for everyone but i had the same problem in mine - it turned out to be an SD adapter that i used to read my micro SD card - i ended up buying a microSD reader that plugs straight into the USB -

also with the roadkil image can you verify the files you have on it?

Last edited:

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
@OP
Way too much going on here, putting the cart before the horse. :)
You really don't need to create a bootable CWM recovery to root. You only need to identify what b&n software you are running and then burn the proper autonooter version to a sd card. Use win32diskimager, "run as administrator" when opening win32diskimager exe.

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
First, lets clear a few things up... the reason for creating a bootable SD card is to create the CWR backup of stock setup. This is optional, and is not required. It is something I recommend, but is not required. That being said, you have a few problems that are separate:
1. Successfully burning bootable SD card (of any variety)
2. Getting NC to boot from SD card (of any variety)

Lets work out problem number one first. I have always used Win32DiskImage for all my success. Download this and unzip.
http://www.daverozelle.com/nook/win32diskimager_r15.zip

Use this thread to create the bootable CWR card, I will edit the Welcome article in a few minutes:
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...le-cwr-msd-v3-0-1-0-ext3-ext4-compatible.html

---

As Rico stated, the above is a recommendation, not required for rooting. However, being able to root requires being able to boot the NC from SD (this is how the autonooter images work) so doing the above to at least test and ensure that the images are burning to SD properly and that your NC is booting from SD properly is worthwhile. Please do the two steps above and let me know how far you get and if you are successful or not.

Last edited:

LocalStain

Feb 10, 2011
@OP
Way too much going on here, putting the cart before the horse. :)
You really don't need to create a bootable CWM recovery to root. You only need to identify what b&n software you are running and then burn the proper autonooter version to a sd card. Use win32diskimager, "run as administrator" when opening win32diskimager exe.

First, lets clear a few things up... the reason for creating a bootable SD card is to create the CWR backup of stock setup. This is optional, and is not required. It is something I recommend, but is not required. That being said, you have a few problems that are separate:

Lets work out problem number one first. I have always used Win32DiskImage for all my success. Download this and unzip. -link-

OK... let me jump from laptop over to my desktop to get the right links.. lost bookmarks here. Gimme 2 min.

it sounds like you are having hte Error 8 issue when trying to write with Win32 imager - can you confirm? if so you should have stated so in the first place or i just missed it - not sure if this is a solution that works for everyone but i had the same problem in mine - it turned out to be an SD adapter that i used to read my micro SD card - i ended up buying a microSD reader that plugs straight into the USB -

I give you the crack team of nook ninja's, their combined might should lift you where I merely stumbled...
tron-10-David-Warner-battle.jpg

Thanks Gang!

jyams

Feb 20, 2011
Lastly, if you are using Windows 7, when you run WinDisk32, be sure to right click and "run as administrator". Also, I have always had to use version 1. Can never get version 2 to work for me.

Squints2See

Mar 21, 2011

Lets work out problem number one first. I have always used Win32DiskImage for all my success. Download this and unzip.
http://www.daverozelle.com/nook/win32diskimager_r15.zip

Use this thread to create the bootable CWR card, I will edit the Welcome article in a few minutes:
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...le-cwr-msd-v3-0-1-0-ext3-ext4-compatible.html

---

As Rico stated, the above is a recommendation, not required for rooting. However, being able to root requires being able to boot the NC from SD (this is how the autonooter images work) so doing the above to at least test and ensure that the images are burning to SD properly and that your NC is booting from SD properly is worthwhile. Please do the two steps above and let me know how far you get and if you are successful or not.

Ok, I started over using the links you provided and had no problems now. The version of Win32DiskImage I was using was a higher release version, and apparently my OS didn't like it. The version you linked me to worked fine. I dont think it was the clockwork images I was using because I also downloaded a bootble image of froyo just to keep testing my ability to burn images with the WIN32 software, but it did not work as well.

So after successfully burn the new clockwork image you posted, my NC was able to boot to the sdCard and I was able to perform the backup. I am going to try and finish the steps in your guide tonight (actually rooting the device). I appreciate the help everyone has given me.

Squints2See

Mar 21, 2011

I was not getting any kind of "Error 8". I was being told that there was not enough available disk space, no matter what size image I used (even tryed down to the 128mb image on a 4gb card).

When I used roadkil, I did have the files that I was told would be created on the sdCard, but unfortunatley it did not boot. I could not get anything to boot in the NC until this last attempt using the WIN32DiskImage version that Faceman linked me to in his last post, and using the new Clockwork images he added...