Having problems trying to root Nook Color...

LocalStain

Feb 10, 2011
Ok, I started over using the links you provided and had no problems now. The version of Win32DiskImage I was using was a higher release version, and apparently my OS didn't like it. The version you linked me to worked fine. I dont think it was the clockwork images I was using because I also downloaded a bootble image of froyo just to keep testing my ability to burn images with the WIN32 software, but it did not work as well.

So after successfully burn the new clockwork image you posted, my NC was able to boot to the sdCard and I was able to perform the backup. I am going to try and finish the steps in your guide tonight (actually rooting the device). I appreciate the help everyone has given me.

What a relief! S2S glad that you found the issue. Lets hope from here on in things go a little more smoothly.

My thanks to those that jumped in as well.

AnimaTechnica

Nov 4, 2010
glad it worked out - and a good learning - newer version does not always mean better version :)
i will now download the older version of winimage in case i run into a similar problem down the road

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
Ok, I started over using the links you provided and had no problems now. The version of Win32DiskImage I was using was a higher release version, and apparently my OS didn't like it. The version you linked me to worked fine. I dont think it was the clockwork images I was using because I also downloaded a bootble image of froyo just to keep testing my ability to burn images with the WIN32 software, but it did not work as well.

So after successfully burn the new clockwork image you posted, my NC was able to boot to the sdCard and I was able to perform the backup. I am going to try and finish the steps in your guide tonight (actually rooting the device). I appreciate the help everyone has given me.

AWESOME!

I also have the newer version of the Win32DiskImager and it's nicer, but I can only get about 5% of the burns to actually work. Not sure why, so I went back to the older one.

Also, that new link for v3.0.1.0 bootable is the best to use at this time. Save that card for your external backups and fault-tolerance (ie - use it to make a backup of a completed rooted NC, then stick it in a drawer).

Make sure you use the proper version of autonooter for your stock B&N version. Let us know if you have any questions or problems.

Squints2See

Mar 21, 2011
well im having problems again. I started rooting the nook and got to the point were it rebooted and I started doing the configurations it asked me to do (although the instructions were not in the same order that I encountered. I think its rooted as I was able to download apps from the market but the NC will only boot now if its connected to my PC via the USB cable. If I disconnect the USB cable the NC wont boot. It just sits there. Any clues?

Last edited:

RASTAVIPER

Feb 21, 2011
My suggestion is to unroot (revert to stock) since U believe that U already rooted it and try from the beginning.
Maybe another rom would be also better.

Squints2See

Mar 21, 2011
well it is booting now and all seems well. I dont know why it wouldn't boot the first few times I tried it. Thanks again everyone for the help....

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
well im having problems again. I started rooting the nook and got to the point were it rebooted and I started doing the configurations it asked me to do (although the instructions were not in the same order that I encountered. I think its rooted as I was able to download apps from the market but the NC will only boot now if its connected to my PC via the USB cable. If I disconnect the USB cable the NC wont boot. It just sits there. Any clues?

well it is booting now and all seems well. I dont know why it wouldn't boot the first few times I tried it. Thanks again everyone for the help....

Just to be sure, while you were rooting and you got to the step where the NC rebooted itself. You then went through the initial set up process --> did you remove the autonooter SD card BEFORE trying to reboot? If not, the autonooter would run again. If you did remove it, not sure what was happening.

Regardless, since you are running now, please take the time to make sure you have a good backup of your NC in it's current state saved to either a second SD or to your pc (or both) so that no matter what happens, you can at least recover to THIS state and not have to reroot all over again.

palmerpeak

Nov 6, 2011
I don't know if anyone else is going to read this thread, but I was having the EXACT same problem with the "not enough room on disk" error. The problem was the version of Win32DiskImage that I was using. I had downloaded a newer version. I tried the link for Win32DiskImage in Faceman's post (#26) and that was the fix. The older version of Win32DiskImage worked like a charm! Thank-you, thank-you! If you could see the forehead dents in my desk. BTW - I'm running Vista 64-bit SP2 and everything else worked perfectly, as well. Thank goodness there are people smarter than me in this world. :)

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
I don't know if anyone else is going to read this thread

Probably none of the original posters, but it will be helpful to some of the new people. I'm glad you posted that, it gives me a rare opportunity. That of welcoming someone to the forum who's belonged longer than I have.:cool: Welcome aboard and keep trying to help out!