Honeycream to Alpha 2

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
Just an update to keep everyone hungry...Roebeet has gotten "HoneyCream," his port of the Adam guy's Honeycomb build up to Alpha 2. No camera or GAPPS, but the browser works now so the network obviously is working now too!

This is not going to be for the faint of heart at first, it requires a flash to the 4349 Branch, which will limit to a certain extent what else you can do right now.

VERY COOL!!

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
The boys are moving like madmen...it's up to 2.1. GAPPS now "working". :)

[ROM] Honeycomb for GTAB 1.2-based firmware - [G-TABLET\ZPAD T2] - SlateDroid.com

EDIT: for some odd reason, Gmail is not displaying message content (previews are there). Strange. Also, video playback is choppy. BUT Market is working...Maps is working, as is location via wifi. And my personal favorite: can now download and run Google Body! Very, very cool, and NO LAG on the gTab!

EDIT: Holy crap, make that 2.2. And the ROM has a name: Bottle of Smoke. ;)

Matt

Last edited:

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Oh, and two other interesting footnotes: (1) I'm getting around 2100-2200 with Quadrant, and happily, (2) BOTH CORES are showing up in the system. :) How nice.

-Matt

Swould333

Aug 5, 2010
How is the partitions laid out?.. does the SDCARD partion actually go to the SDcard or the internal partion?

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Oh, so it turns out the bug with gmail is a text-color issue...white text on a white background. :confused:

Here is a dorky fix I figured out:

Found a REALLY DUMB hack for viewing email (must be the "invisible" forward-message button):

- Tap the (blank) message window, near the upper-right corner...about one inch down and one inch left of the corner (under the "file cabinet" icon)
- If the label option pops up, backup and tap again a little lower
- A message reply window and keyboard will pop up
- Press "back" to get rid of the keyboard
- Select the "Respond inline" option

Voila, you will see the original message! :eek:

-Matt
-Matt

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
Just have to add, loving it! This is what i had been expecting my tablet to be like.

Sent from my GTablet-HC using Android Tablet Forum

jeffc83

Jan 26, 2011
Oh, and two other interesting footnotes: (1) I'm getting around 2100-2200 with Quadrant, and happily, (2) BOTH CORES are showing up in the system. :) How nice.

-Matt

Nice to hear that you flashed it! I'm planning on doing so today or tomorrow but have one question for you... since you have the highest quadrant scores posted how much available ram do you have after boot? I'm really excited flash this. Ever since the overclocked kernels I've been going crazy with it...after a day of thinking about it;)

Sent from my Droid using Android Tablet Forum

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Jeff, SetCPU is reporting 446,304KB total, 9300KB free. But don't get me started on free RAM...I can be overbearing and preachy. :)

-Matt

mydave

Mar 21, 2011
It is HOT potatoe; new version 2.3 is here gtab.hc.Bottle.of.Smoke.alpha2.3.rar
md5sum: bcb565cb2169e55475f49ae35a3cd152
(updated 5/14/2011)
Change Log:
(a2.3) Updated to Adam u13, moved Books, Maps, Street to /data (won't install with cwm, keep in mind). This freed up another 15MB of space on /system. Gmail / Email are now working, thanks to u13 and the VEGA devs! If you are using cwm, you can sideload them later or get them from the Market.
(a2.2) Updated to Adam u12, adds the new mod name. Also adding 1.2 bootloader and cwm 3.0.2.8 recovery, for 1.1 jumpers.
(a2.1) Gapps! At least the Market, and YouTube (again, a big thanks to MrGuy for making that happen!) updated to be based on the Adam update10 image.
(a2.0) Version 11 Clemsyn kernel added for HC, gsensor fixed (thanks to Zebwen for the tips!), newer snapz54 boot logo.
(a1.2) Sound! (thanks to HomerSP for the fix, and newbe5 and blazingwolf for testing!), standard video might work (I tested an mp4). Audio includes EQ, which is actually superior to any vendor build I've used.
(a1.1) Added root (thanks to Koush for the Xoom su!), a few additional apps, better boot screen (thanks snapz54!)
(a1.0) First release

Tempted to give is a test drive later. BTW, anybody tried to add the Clemsyn Kernel https://rapidshare.com/files/596821934/1.5boot1.2HoneyComb.zip ? Perhaps it was built in from version 2.0 ?

Dave,

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Hi Dave!

I've been on the new ROM...2.0, 2.1, 2.2...and now downloading 2.3. :) What a fun trip.

I installed clemsyn's kernel, but as far as I can tell, it's already baked into roebeet's 2.1 or 2.2 Bottle of Smoke.

I definitely, definitely, definitely encourage you to give it a test run. How's that for an enthusiastic suggestion?

BUT keep in mind: I've consistently had trouble (boot loops: stuck on the n-logo) when I install it over a stock copy of 4349. The fix is simple: since it also has CWM baked in, just boot into CWM recover, clear data and cache, and when you restart you should see rb's BoS screen within a minute. :) Report back if you give it a try!

-Matt

mydave

Mar 21, 2011
Hello Matt ! Great to see you started posting again. Thanks for the head up.
Since you install it over stock 4349, I would try to do it over stock 3588 and we compare notes.
Will get back later.
Best,

Dave,

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Two long business trips have cut into my androidtablet time. :( But the appearance of HC is a tempting lure back to the forum!

Sure is quiet here...I wonder if owners don't know yet...?...

-Matt

StephenC

Jan 17, 2011
Newb alert....OK queston I am currently running BOS_A22. What does reobeet mean it will not load with CWM? That CWM will not be loaded, or you cannot install using CWM? If it is the former, does it load a recovery tool? If it is the later, how do you install this ROM?

Thanks....

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Newb alert....OK queston I am currently running BOS_A22. What does reobeet mean it will not load with CWM? That CWM will not be loaded, or you cannot install using CWM? If it is the former, does it load a recovery tool? If it is the later, how do you install this ROM?

Thanks....
Stephen, I'm a little puzzled by that too. I think he specifically meant "Book, Maps, and Street" apps. In any case, I booted into CWM recovery, did the standard update.zip install to 2.3, and all is well. Haven't tried Maps yet, but if it's missing I'll just grab it from the Market!

-Matt