How does a tablet work with external displays?

Mar 15, 2012
I have a projector, and i think it would be really nice to be able to send 720p out to my projector, but be able to sit there on the couch like a lazy bum and control everything with the tablet. i know to some degree this will work that way, but what can the display handle on the more normal tablets with a 1280 800 rez plugged in to something with the HDMI mini?

can it carry 5.1 from the HDMI if its running an MKV HD file? etc etc. im looking at the asus memo 370t when it comes out, and it totes a pretty badass processor and stuff, so im assuming that it would be able to handle it. but you never know.

also- how would games work? is there anything really worthwhile to play on an external display with the device in hand?

anyone?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
If the tablet has an HDMI out it generally means that the output resolution will be hi-def. That can mean either 720 or 1080 as out put depending on the tablet. I am not sure about sound support. 5.1 is possible but I am guessing most are only stereo but I don't recall seeing anything either way.

Basically it is up to you if you think it is worth it to use a big display for games movies or to do other things on your tablet. I have heard that some travel with movies on their tablet and use HDMI to watch them on the tvs in the rooms. Others use the same feature at home (though I would imagine other methods are better for watching movies than using your tablet).

You have to remember that generally speaking tablets aren't very powerful and probably don't make for a good substitute for a proper entertainment or gaming system. However, if you want to share that funny youtube video you just saw with the family, then tablets are great for that sort of thing. Of course we all have different ideas of what is acceptable so again it is up to you to decide.

Mar 15, 2012
Well the asus i am looking at(which isnt even out yet) is pretty badass as far as anything goes. im not into tablets full on, thus the questions, but i am a computer technician, and the tablet sports a quad core, nvidia chipset, and a gig of ram. its a beast, as far as PCs go. a duo core with a gig and a half decent video card could theoretically run 720p and HD audio, so although a kindle or a cheaper android tablet might not do the trick, if anything COULD do it, i hope it would be this.

kind of was just wondering if its lossless basically, or if there is a comparable model out there that can do these things effectively.
thanks!
Nik

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I wouldn't get too tied up in the specs. While that will be some nice silicone I wouldn't count on any tablet to be considered a beast compared to a PC (at least not yet). I think you can have a decent experience using a tablet to tv but I haven't seen any that are entertainment center capable. I think if you are getting a tablet replacement for a blueray player and a receiver or a PS3 or Xbox 360 gaming system I have a feeling you will be disappointed.

angrybirdlove

Mar 5, 2012
Yes HDMI will handle the 5.1 sound and as for MKV files, yes if you are trying to play on your tablet and your tablet has the option of HDMI then surely both the sound and video quality will work.