Help me find a tablet

Knoppers

Nov 25, 2011
Hi guys,
need a little help here finding a fitting tablet.

1. What is your budget?
Around 300€.

2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished?
No.

3. Do you prefer a Slate, Convertible or Ultra Mobile PC (UMPC)?
-

4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?
7" and more

5. Which country do you intent to purchase from?
Germany

6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes?
-

7. How many hours battery life do you require?
-

8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet? (Email/Web Surfing/Drawing/Word Processing/Entertainment/Notetaking etc)
The pretty much only point I need it for is, is watching movies / videos in 720p. I don't really care for anything else, but I want it to play it smoothly and without lags.

9. Do you have an OS preference?
Not really, but I'm used to Windows.

10. What software and tasks do you intend to run? (Microsoft Office or other Word Processing Suite/Photoshop/3D Studio Max/Autocad etc)
Media Player Classic - Home Cinema

10. Do you intend on playing Games? If so please list.
-

Screen Specifics

1. What resolution do you prefer?
Uh, I don't know. 16:9, good for 720p.

2. Do you require the screen to be readable in sunlight?
No.

3. Do you prefer your display to be glossy or matte?
-

4. Do you require Touch? (without pressure sensitivity) (Which one: resistive or capacitive)
Capacitive.

5. Do you require a Pen? (with pressure sensitivity) (Which one: Wacom or N-Trig)
-

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require?
Doesn't matter, but I should be able to connect it to my PC and transfer stuff from there.

2. Do you require an Optical (CD/DVD) Drive to be built in?
No.

3. Do you require ability to add a second Battery or Hard Drive (Modular Bay technology)?
No.

Extra information:
Mainly going to be used in closed, warm rooms. So it shouldn't have have problems with overheating (on bed etc.).
Btw. I said my budget is 300€ because I don't know how much these things cost for what I want them. If I can get one with my requirements for 150€, great!
It should be able to play the .mkv format.

Short:
Should be able to play 720p videos smoothly without overheating.

Last edited:

DarrylB

Aug 31, 2011
Hey Knoppers welcome to the forum! Perhaps the 7 inch HTC Flyer would suit your needs? I believe you can play 720p videos on it. It's also affordable in your 300 euro (or less) price range too (depending where you buy it). For playing MKV files on your Android device there are apps out there for that such as RockPlayer for example. For syncing, not sure what exactly you need to sync (contacts, images, calendars?) but most manufacturers normally provide firmware for that.

Knoppers

Nov 25, 2011
Hi DarryIB,
thanks for your answer. The HTC Flyer looks kinda cool, but features a lot of stuff which I would not need and is kinda expensive over here (Germany, 370 Euro).
And if it's at the 300~ range I'd prefer a atleast 8 inch one, if possible (although I'm not set on this, so if you can recommend me great 7 inch ones, please go ahead!). I really don't need it for anything else than watching 720p videos on it.

Last edited:

SpeMall.com

Jul 13, 2011
Hi DarryIB,
thanks for your answer. The HTC Flyer looks kinda cool, but features a lot of stuff which I would not need and is kinda expensive over here (Germany, 370 Euro).
And if it's at the 300~ range I'd prefer a atleast 8 inch one, if possible (although I'm not set on this, so if you can recommend me great 7 inch ones, please go ahead!). I really don't need it for anything else than watching 720p videos on it.
So, how about this one:7 Inch Capacitive Screen Android 2.3OS Tablet PC with Amlogic Cortex A9 Processor - China Electronics Wholesale - Consumer Electronics Gadgets Dropship From China
C71 with android 2.3 and cortex-A9 processor, five-point capacitive touch screen, can support Skype video chat for $158 with shipping. cheap & decent tablet PC,hope you'll like it. :)
wish you enjoy the online tablet buying~~~

Knoppers

Nov 25, 2011
Thanks for your post.
But I think I prefer to not have a no-brand tablet without a real name from China for which I can't find any reviews / videos.

I liked the Acer Iconia A100 and it looks pretty okay. Is there anything better than that in that price range?
And a unrelated question, since I'm not really well informed about tablets. Can you connect them to a PC and they appear like a USB drive and you can drag stuff on it or is it managed with a additional program?

RobKort

Nov 23, 2011
Other than the A100 you can look at Lenovo's Idea Pad A1, and yes you can connect them to a PC and drag and drop files.

Knoppers

Nov 25, 2011
I think the Acer is my favorite right now.
Another unrelated question, is the "RockPlayer" capable of displaying subtitles?

jbenham

Official ATF App Tester
Oct 25, 2011
I bought anAcer A100 for my wife and she loves it. Have fun!

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using Android Tablet Forum