[How To] Connect to Adhoc Networks (Tether) Apad iRobot and Rockchip 2808a Variants

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
This may also work on the Archos 7 Home Tablet

Credits to alangor on Slatedroid.

You need to access your device using adb, or DroidExplorer.

The file you need to modify is:
/data/misc/wifi/wpa_supplicant.conf

(adb pull /data/misc/wifi/wpa_supplicant.conf)

Open this with notepad++ or Wordpad, as a txt file.

You will see something like the following. Ignore the arrows and change the bolded parts to match:
Code:
ctrl_interface=/data/system/wpa_supplicant
ctrl_interface_group=1000
update_config=1

[B]eapol_version=1[/B]  <--------------- Add this
[B]ap_scan=2[/B]        <---------------------- Add this

network={                        
    [B]ssid="MY_WIFI_NETWORK_NAME"[/B]   <--------------Wifi name 
    [B]scan_ssid=1[/B]  <------------Add this 
    key_mgmt=NONE
    [B]wep_key0=1234567800[/B]  <------- WEP key password you set
    mode=1      
    priority=1
}
Now replace the original file that is on your device. Your device will now attempt to connect to your Adhoc network.

(adb push wpa_supplicant.conf /data/misc/wifi/wpa_supplicant.conf)

If you setup a new connection, these settings will be overwritten.

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
awesome updated instructions, do we know how to do this with other tablets?

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
The instructions were ported from the Eken.

Typically the file is in /etc/wifi/wpa_supplicant.conf

Can you verify?

rk73

Aug 14, 2010
Managed to connect apad via adhoc to my windows mobile, but cant browse the web, any ideas?

rk73

Aug 14, 2010

igotitiscool

Aug 17, 2010
This may also work on the Archos 7 Home Tablet

Credits to alangor on Slatedroid.

You need to access your device using adb, or DroidExplorer.

The file you need to modify is:
/data/misc/wifi/wpa_supplicant.conf

(adb pull /data/misc/wifi/wpa_supplicant.conf)

Open this with notepad++ or Wordpad, as a txt file.

You will see something like the following. Ignore the arrows and change the bolded parts to match:
Code:
ctrl_interface=/data/system/wpa_supplicant
ctrl_interface_group=1000
update_config=1

[B]eapol_version=1[/B]  <--------------- Add this
[B]ap_scan=2[/B]        <---------------------- Add this

network={                        
    [B]ssid="MY_WIFI_NETWORK_NAME"[/B]   <--------------Wifi name 
    [B]scan_ssid=1[/B]  <------------Add this 
    key_mgmt=NONE
    [B]wep_key0=1234567800[/B]  <------- WEP key password you set
    mode=1      
    priority=1
}
Now replace the original file that is on your device. Your device will now attempt to connect to your Adhoc network.

(adb push wpa_supplicant.conf /data/misc/wifi/wpa_supplicant.conf)

If you setup a new connection, these settings will be overwritten.

I have done this to the T, i named my ssid AndroidTether, now my laptop sees two AndroidTethers, the one from my EVO which is unsecured and rooted , plus this one that i name AndroidTether in the string i did, and it tries to connect to AndroidTether, from the the string, does not see the AndroidTether from my rooted EVO. please help

rk73

Aug 14, 2010
I have done this to the T, i named my ssid AndroidTether, now my laptop sees two AndroidTethers, the one from my EVO which is unsecured and rooted , plus this one that i name AndroidTether in the string i did, and it tries to connect to AndroidTether, from the the string, does not see the AndroidTether from my rooted EVO. please help

I am not sure if I understand what you mean, did you create a network on your laptop or you apad? You should only make one with your tethering software for Evo and edit the config file for your Apad,

By the way, I have heard Evo supports access point tethering so its unnessesary to try to setup adhoc tethering.
Try google for evo tethering

igotitiscool

Aug 17, 2010
I am not sure if I understand what you mean, did you create a network on your laptop or you apad? You should only make one with your tethering software for Evo and edit the config file for your Apad,

By the way, I have heard Evo supports access point tethering so its unnessesary to try to setup adhoc tethering.
Try google for evo tethering

i have not set nothing up with laptop, it just sees all networks and my EVO is Rooted.

igotitiscool

Aug 17, 2010
View attachment 62Try this conf file with Androidtether as "access point" if you prefer adhoc on Evo.
Be sure to set up same name in tether app on Evo, if it doesnt work try another tether app.

the problem i have since last nite is when it obtaining a ip address it becomes unsuccesful do you have a idea why? i use wireless tether, i tried barnacle(free) but have not gottan that to work at all for me, and with the zip file you sent i like cuz the one string i been using goes bad after a fail attempt and i have to do it all over.

Last edited:

rk73

Aug 14, 2010
the problem i have since last nite is when it obtaining a ip address it becomes unsuccesful do you have a idea why? i use wireless tether, i tried barnacle(free) but have not gottan that to work at all for me, and with the zip file you sent i like cuz the one string i been using goes bad after a fail attempt and i have to do it all over.

If you cant get it to work, read the link and skip adhoc.
Free Android WiFi Tether For Root Users App Now Supports WPA2 And Full Hotspot (Infrastructure) Capabilities On EVO 4G | Android News, Reviews, Applications, Games, Phones, Devices, Tips, Hacks, Videos, Podcasts - Android Police

applicationz

Oct 10, 2010
sir please help i am not able to install droid explorr it says droid startup service failed to start
i am new
i wanted to know that is anthying other required before installing droid like adb
and how to run adb commands i dnt have any software
please help