How To Download and Install the USB Driver for the S7?

Jan 26, 2011
I'm a new S7 owner, and love it. However I need to install the USB driver so I can connect to my Windows 7 desktop. When I try to download the USB driver from the Huawei website my S7 says "Cannot download. The content is not supported on this tablet. I am not new to computers, but I am new to Android/Linux.

Would someone please post a step-by-step tutorial on how to download the driver to the S7, unzip it (if needed) and install it?

Thank you (in advance) for your help!

Rob

vferrari

Dec 4, 2010
You don't need the driver. Windows 7 will recognize the S7 natively as a mass storage device provided you unmount the SD Card (either or both internal and external (if installed)) using the menu prompts on the S7 to do so (look for the flashing notification symbol in the upper right corner - overlapping windows with "i" - and tap on it). This will get you to the notifications screen where you can mount the internal and external SD cards to your PC as mass storage drives to allow you to transfer files. HTH.

Jan 26, 2011
Thank you - that absolutely did the trick. I "unmounted" the internal and external cards, connected my S7 to my Windows 7 PC and saw the S7 appear in Windows Explorer. Mounted each drive on the S7, and they showed up in Explorer. Moved a bunch of MP3 files (playing them right now...), then did the "safely eject" routine in Windows before unplugging the S7. vferrari, thank you for the quick contribution and help.

From a new owner's perspective, the biggest thing the S7 lacks is an in-depth users manual. Other than that, I love it!

Thanks again,

Rob

Music

Feb 5, 2011
Well, I unmounted the internal drive and the micro card, then decompressed the drivers and plugged the S7 into my Win XP PC. I had it load the Huawei Ideos drivers (which haven't passed the MS compatibility certificate, btw) and all I get are two extra disk drive letters, neither of which are accessible. The device itself doesn't appear. :(

Did I do something wrong? What is the proper procedure to setup a Win XP PC for a USB connection to the Huawei S7

thx

Last edited:

50cals

Jan 5, 2011
Mount the drive back on your s7.

Dont need drivers, connect usb to s7 and to pc.
click the top right on s7 , the I icon
click the internal card and click mount, box will open on your pc, click open to view
click other card hit mount, and click to open to view.

Now you should have two windows open on pc, one for each card.

Sent from my S7 thru space & time

Music

Feb 5, 2011
Nothing worked. Remember, I'm using a PC with Win XP and you do need the driver for that because the driver installation wizard started the first time I connected the S7, asking for a CD or a drive folder

Last edited:

50cals

Jan 5, 2011
Fyi im using winxp, and have never downloaded anything from huawei's site

I do have the sdk installed but above still worked before i installed it.

i have just done the above

Music

Feb 5, 2011
Oh. Yeah, I got it now.

After you connect the USB cable to the tablet and the PC, tap the tasks icon (with the i in the top-right corner) and ON THE LEFT SIDE (notifications), tap the one (Internal or external SD card) you want to work with, then select MOUNT to get access to it through Windoze file explorer.

If you get a message like, "Please insert a disk into drive F:" or similar, you didn't mount it right, so go back to the tablet and mount the right SD card.

Before unplugging the USB cable from the PC, us the 'safely remove' procedure

Now, I just need a car mount and a car charger.

Last edited:

Music

Feb 5, 2011
The kicker was the part about tapping the icon for the task manager to get at the notifications. Otherwise I was stumped about how to mount the twp memory cards.

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
I did have to install the USB drivers as without them XP notified me that the device may not have installed correctly and sure enough I couldn't mount the drives. It is fairly simple, after you download and decompress the files, plug the USB cable in and in the ensuing dialogue you will be given the option to select the location of the drivers. Browse to the XP folder, select it, and all should go well.
BTW I did uninstall the tablet before reconnecting the USB cable to install with the correct drivers, it seemed like the most straightforward way.

50cals

Jan 5, 2011
Again, drivers not needed for mounting s7......... to use cmd prompt for ADB stuff then drivers are needed and you dont need to mount your drives from S7

Glad you got it working

Last edited: