how to download to my tablet not my android phone???

DLanc

Dec 27, 2011
Hello everyone:
I received a pandigital tablet from SaNtA and i have attempted to download apps without success. when i download the app it downloads to my phone??? i noticed on the andriod market download window it displays "download to - phone". phone is the only choice displayed. how do i get the app to the tablet and not the phone???
thanks
DLanc

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
are you accessing the market from your tablet or your pc? Even though it says download to phone, if you are doing from the PC some of the Android Builds still report in to the market as a phone not as a tablet. As long as you are on your tablet, it is actually going to install to there.

hope that clarifies a bit,
Peter

DLanc

Dec 27, 2011
i actually downloaded it thru the tablet and my phone started the download process. i will give it another try.

when i am on my tablet looking at the market apps the ones i have on my phone display "Installed"....? any clues?

thanks

Last edited:

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
Android Market keeps track of any app you have installed, regardless of device. So...if you see it listed as installed it just means you put it somewhere, not necessarily your tablet.

I have never see the issue you describe though. Are you using the Market app or the browser at http://market.android.com?

temper13

Dec 10, 2011
I got the colby 7022 and I have the same issue since I can't download nothing from the colby market. So I typed in android market from the google web and tried downloading free angry birds and other apps but they all went to my cell phone. Don't know what the issue is, please help

Dec 30, 2011
I am having the same issue! when you download from the market (logged in through the tablet) it goes to the phone anyway. And I can't find a way to change or add a android device

dansamy

Dec 19, 2010
You must first install the Android market to your tablet. How much hacking you'll have to do in order to do that depends on which model you have.

Sent from my DROIDX running MIUI

dawalker

Dec 30, 2011
I am having exactly the same problem when I attempt to d/l from Android Market using a new Viewsonic ViewPad 7e tablet. Android Market sees my Android phone, but not the tablet. So, how does one install Android Market on the tablet? I don't see a link to do that.

I phoned Viewsonic tech support and they told me that the device doesn't support all apps. To me, that was a mindless answer. This is like saying that you can't run a given PC program on all brands of PCs, even though they all have the same OS.

dansamy

Dec 19, 2010
The OS is open source, but Google services and apps are not. A manufacturer must apply for their device to receive certification and a license from Google in order to offer Google's applications, like market, maps, navigation, search. If your device didn't have Google's genuine market installed when you opened the box, you will have some work to do to get it on there. You can search this forum for your model, as well as Google & YouTube. How easy/difficult it will be to install the market varies. Some models do not need to be rooted. Some do.

BuffKnysna

Dec 23, 2011
The OS is open source, but Google services and apps are not. A manufacturer must apply for their device to receive certification and a license from Google in order to offer Google's applications, like market, maps, navigation, search. If your device didn't have Google's genuine market installed when you opened the box, you will have some work to do to get it on there. You can search this forum for your model, as well as Google & YouTube. How easy/difficult it will be to install the market varies. Some models do not need to be rooted. Some do.

Having read the above posts, am I correct in concluding that if your tablet is not registered with Google then you cannot download apps from their market unless you start "hacking". Technology is never easy!

dansamy

Dec 19, 2010
Having read the above posts, am I correct in concluding that if your tablet is not registered with Google then you cannot download apps from their market unless you start "hacking". Technology is never easy!

Correct. If your device did not include Google services, then you have to find a method of getting them onto your tablet yourself. This can be as simple as "side loading" the correct apk you located and downloaded to your PC. It may be more complicated, requiring you to root your device and change values reported by the device so that apps in the market will display as compatible.