How to stop the Vizio 1.5 update nag?

m3doc

Dec 12, 2011
Just bought a nice VTAB and love the form factor, but the Vizio update nag message is killin' me. I have Titanium Pro on my HTC EVO and installed the Free version on my tab, but all the warning messages on the forum about bricking the tab have me concerned. I guess in order to "freeze" anything I need to root the tab first?? Any other way to stop the nag message on a stock tab? I want to play around with it a while before I root.

Thanks,

Blwnv8

Dec 19, 2011
My guess would be it has to be rooted. There's no other way. I haven't been on this forum long but it doesn't seem like many people wanna help round here. I've seen some that go outta their way to help. I'm in the same boat you are and just wanna stop that stupid update. Just don't wanna brick it.

m3doc

Dec 12, 2011
Yeah, it's the 80/20 rule 20% of the people on the forums give 80% of the advice/help. I'm going to root the tab soon, but I want to explore it's OEM functionality before it do it. I rooted my EVO and was able to stop the HTC update nags so if that holds true for the Vizio then I guess I'll have to keep going into the applications menu and force close the update alert.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
My guess would be it has to be rooted. There's no other way. I haven't been on this forum long but it doesn't seem like many people wanna help round here. I've seen some that go outta their way to help. I'm in the same boat you are and just wanna stop that stupid update. Just don't wanna brick it.

Yes, Titanium Backup needs root before it can freeze apps. I also want to stop it but haven't rooted yet so for now I just hit home and it goes away for a while.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Yeah, it's the 80/20 rule 20% of the people on the forums give 80% of the advice/help. I'm going to root the tab soon, but I want to explore it's OEM functionality before it do it. I rooted my EVO and was able to stop the HTC update nags so if that holds true for the Vizio then I guess I'll have to keep going into the applications menu and force close the update alert.

Rooting it won't effect the OEM functionality so feel free to root it and still explore it if you are going to root it anyway. Root just gives you extra abilities but won't change the OEM setup unless you use the access root provides to go in and change things.