How to Tether your Archos (Froyo - Gen 8, 70, 101, etc) tablet to Windows Mobile 6.5

apr2499

Dec 7, 2010
[FONT=&quot]2-18-11: New and Improved Instructions![/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I had to do a warranty replacement for my Touch Pro 2 and when I went back through these instructions, I could NOT get them to work...even though they worked for me the first time.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]So I decided to look for a more reliable method. Here is the result of my research:[/FONT]

Special Thanks go to Desigunda at Archosfans.com and defcon6 at XDA Developers for their work. It was their discoveries that helped me find the missing pieces to make this guide possible.

[FONT=&quot]How to Tether your Archos (Froyo - Gen 8, 70, 101, etc) tablet to a Windows Mobile 6.5 Phone on Verizon - DUN Connection [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Phones tested to work using this method: [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Touch Pro 2 [/FONT]

Other phones are likely to work as Energy has roms built for multiple Windows based phones. See http://www.energyroms.com/www/ for more info.

[FONT=&quot]------------------------------------------------------------------------------------[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Note: [/FONT][FONT=&quot]I am using Energy's Custom Rom, so some of these instructions may be slightly different for you.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Warning: Running a custom ROM voids your phone’s warranty, and can brick your phone (make it unusable) if you don’t know what you are doing. I assume NO responsibility if something goes wrong. Do this at your own risk.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]If you want to run Energy's Custom Rom, download the following:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]HardSPL Unlocker – Run this first[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Energy's custom 6.5 Rom – Download, unzip, and run the SoftwareUpgrade.exe file (mine was called RhodCDMA_SoftwareUpgrade.exe). Make sure you backup up your phone settings as this will erase everything on your phone![/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Once the Custom Rom is loaded onto your phone, made sure you run through the over the air activation (*228 and send for Verizon users).[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Phone Registry Change:[/FONT]

1. You must first make one registry change to your phone in order for this to work. On your phone go to Start -> Tools -> Registry Editor.
2. Go to
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Comm\InternetSharing\settings]
3. Under ForceCellConnection, hold the stylus down until Edit appears.
4. Erase Phone as Modem in the Value Data field and change it to Sprint (even if you are a Verizon customer, which I am).
5. Press Done and save the changes. Then reboot the phone.

[FONT=&quot]Bluetooth Tethering instructions:[/FONT]

1. [FONT=&quot]Archos:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Settings -> Wireless & Networks -> Bluetooth (Tick) to Turn on bluetooth [/FONT]
  2. [FONT=&quot]Archos:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Settings -> Wireless & Networks -> Bluetooth settings -> Discoverable (Tick) [/FONT]
  3. [FONT=&quot]Phone:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Start -> Settings -> Bluetooth. If your bluetooth is off, it will ask you if you want to turn it on. Press Yes.[/FONT]
  4. [FONT=&quot]Phone: Press Add New Device... -> Your device will show up (mine said A101IT). -> Select it after it is found -> Press Yes (It will probably say “There are no services we are interested in” Disregard this message)[/FONT]
  5. [FONT=&quot]Archos:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] You will get a Bluetooth pairing request. -> Press Pair [/FONT]
  6. [FONT=&quot]Phone[/FONT][FONT=&quot]: -> Exit out of the Bluetooth Manager[/FONT]
  7. [FONT=&quot]Archos:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Settings -> Wireless & Networks -> Cell Phone tethering -> Bluetooth. Select your paired phone here (mine said Touch Pro 2). [/FONT]
  8. [FONT=&quot]Phone[/FONT][FONT=&quot]: -> Check “Accept all connection from this device” and press Accept[/FONT]
  9. [FONT=&quot]Archos:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] In the Cell Phone Tethering screen Press -> Manual setup[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]APN:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Type wap.verizon[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Username: Your cellphone [email protected] (such as [email protected])[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Password: vzw[/FONT]

1. [FONT=&quot]Press Next[/FONT]
  2. [FONT=&quot]Press Tether[/FONT]
  3. [FONT=&quot]Archos:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Cell Phone tethering -> Tether. To turn on tethering. [/FONT]
  4. [FONT=&quot]Turn off your Wifi (Settings -> Wireless & Networks -> Wi-Fi)[/FONT]
  5. The first time you tether, it may error out, because of the "Accept all connections from this device" prompt on the phone. Try a couple more times. It will eventually connect.
  6. [FONT=&quot]Open the browser and enjoy 3G(or 4G, I suppose) on your Archos. [/FONT]
Enjoy,

Jason Andreas

Last edited:

apr2499

Dec 7, 2010
I tried to connect using both USB and Bluetooth but it was unable.

I just updated the instructions with some more reliable ones. The steps worked for me the first time but gave me trouble the second time. The new steps have worked twice for me.